3rd August

kettdevil1

Do people really believe that having 5000 people come up with a logo design is practical/possible?

as for comments on the players, nobody is questioning the passion of our fans and nobody questions the fact that we have the best followers in the league. But just like you are allowed to make comments about their performance, they are certainly allowed to make comments as well and certainly comments by a small minority have been fairly noticed. Never fair when critics feel like they are above being criticized. You guys asked me to comment so I have but I’m going to leave it there. More than any other off season, I really cant wait for the hockey to start. I’ve gone down player vs player on other squads and I feel very good about this team.
Exactly. Maybe people should Google the Ford Pinto to find out what happens when you try.

I have to admit not to ploughing through all of the pages in this thread but the parts I have read have reinforced my growing dislike for social media and forums in general. Some of the reactions are so over the top that I am struggling to understand people's mindset. I get that some people don't like the logo, I don't like the food in the rink and i could probably name lots more niggles that are present in my hockey world but actually.... in the great scheme of things don't actually amount to a hill of beans......because it doesn't take away from the fact that I love watching Crawford play, am interested to see if Chad can develop with a settled season and am cautiously optimistic that Mosey can stay fit. That surely is the most important things that came out of yesterday?

I am honestly gobsmacked that people are saying that they are walking away because of this but, clearly that is their choice. It's just the fact that some of the posts come over as so..... entitled that infuriates. If people have an issue then why not raise it with the club rather than rant on social media?

We currently have Belfast fans laughing at out fanbase which.... is another thing that is a niggle for me :)

My summary from last night:

Very happy that we're starting the season with 21 players. The make up of the squad means it doesn't matter if a Brit or an import is injured/rested/underperforming. We also have some versatile players that can move between forward and defence.

I'm going to assume John Donovan has been busy, looking at the sponsors on the ice. I can't argue against increasing revenue while there aren't any seats left to fill. It's that or increase the ticket prices, I guess. I know which I prefer.

The new box over by the away block looks very interesting. I was getting 'commentary box' vibes from it, though it may just be more corporate seating.

The rebrand, for me, is another sign of the ownerships long term commitment to the club. I understand the reasons behind it.
I can't help but feel that even if ST holders had been given a vote on 3 potential logo's there would still be people hating on all 3 choices, as well as the eventual winning design. Probably to a lesser extent, but it would still be there. I'm 'OK' with the new logo.

The jerseys are better than the picture on the website is potraying them. I really like the Welsh around the sleeves.

The free puck was a nice touch.

Rempel16

I can’t see Man City or Man United asking their fans to vote on a shirt design?
Not a shirt design no… but a logo design, I think they would.

Everton put their current logo to a fan vote, and Aston Villa did just last year.

Athletico Madrid held a fan vote for their logo last month.

Cleveland Browns in the NFL did similar…

I can’t understand how merchandise sales are above of where they were when there aren’t many products available to order with the new logo yet, just advance jersey sales I would have thought and from reaction everywhere, I just can’t believe they are ahead of previous years.
Because, in my experience, there was a big queue for the shop and when I finally got in there to purchase something many were pre-ordering shirts from what I could tell. No idea what online sales have contributed. I don’t think there‘s any reason to doubt what Steve is telling this forum, but sadly, it seems a very vocal minority will.

Marketing firms show data on what types of logos sell better and particularly for the next generation of fans. Included in that is what sells and looks better on merchandise. So precisely because we have no more seats to sell is why we have to look at other areas to compete. So having a logo without words is one of the keys to that - as has been seen across all different types of logos over the last decade, and having a secondary logo like the trident to have more options is big too. And don worry, I’m sure there will be plenty of retro gear with the previous logos for the traditionalists.

as for the question about Blasty in Calgary, it was hated at the time but over the years it became a cult hit to the point where they now have retro Blasty gear. Give it time, folks.
Thanks for the clarity of your answer.
I absolutely understand the need to open up all available income streams and merchandise can play a huge part in that.
Also if you have empirical evidence that a re-brand to a cleaner logo without wording is key to that growth then you be mad not to explore that idea.
But my point is this. Surely it would be sensible to sound out the fans during this process, after all its these very same fans that the club want to buy the new merchandise.
You say, and I fully believe you, that sales of the new merchandise is better than ever before, but surely it would’ve been even better if more of the fans were on board with the idea.

For me it’s not really the logo, it’s more the process, as a paying customer and supporter of 35yrs I would have valued some input or even a little insight into why the re-brand was so necessary to the Club.

The last 9 years have by and large been a terrific time to support my team but on a few occasions the communication or lack of has let down the process.

Cardiff City had similar issues a few seasons ago with their re-brand. The Welsh are very tribal in following their sports teams but it’s a two way street, some of us, not all admittedly, need to feel that their opinions are heard.

I understand that the Club were in a difficult position and I may not have agreed that the best designed logo may have been chosen but at least I would have had some input and I’d have been happy with that.

After all, I voted remain in the Brexit poll so although for me it was the wrong result, I’m ok with it because I had my say, it unfortunately it wasn’t enough but I’ve moved on!

I’ll be there supporting the Devils for the Belfast game, eager to see the team perform whatever jersey they’re wearing, even the one with the Penguin in the logo!

Not fussy on the new logo but was never fussy on the old one give me the original any day of the week
Will any of this logo nonsense interfere with me and 3 generations of my family supporting the team we love No
would like to see more retro gear though for us oldtimers

ASHIPP

The Giants' fans are not laughing at the logo...they are laughing at our fans' reaction to it.

If our team is one iota as successful as theirs next season, the debate over our logo will seem less significant.

The change in the Giants' logo and shade of teal on their jerseys affected neither their team performance, their history or their ethos even if many of their fans probably had opinions.

Perhaps we need to take a leaf out of their book. After all, their PR machine in recent years has been pretty good.

august04 2.0

It makes me laugh when people compare the Devils with Ford (!), Man City, Man Utd etc….we're a fan base of 3000-4000 with a limited catchment area in minority UK sport, compared with companies/clubs with millions of customers globally. Realistically speaking who the hell is going to order Devils merchandise who is either not a Devils fan or lives in South Wales?! Yes, you’ll get a few online purchases here and there but not that many. So yes, it’s quite possible to run some sort of fan vote on a few designs and get a degree of fan buy in.

Last edited:

kettdevil1

Not a shirt design no… but a logo design, I think they would.

Everton put their current logo to a fan vote, and Aston Villa did just last year.

Athletico Madrid held a fan vote for their logo last month.

Cleveland Browns in the NFL did similar…
Yes..... exactly and what was the reaction...... you tend to get a split which means that people are consulted and then you reject what many of their fans voted for which is worse than not consulting at all. The Everton vote is still causing a lot of venom being spat round the city.

E.D.S.

It makes me laugh when people compare the Devils with Ford (!), Man City, Man Utd etc….we're a fan base of 3,000 with a limited catchment area in minority UK sport, compared with companies/clubs with millions of customers globally. Realistically speaking who the hell is going to order Devils merchandise who is either not a Devils fan or lives in South Wales?! Yes, you’ll get a few online purchases here and there but not that many. So yes, it’s quite possible to run some sort of fan vote on a few designs and get a degree of fan buy in.
Abso-bloody-lutely.

Massive own goal. I hope they calm down and see sense and see what is happening here. I'm not asking for a reversal, but some humility about what has been dictated/inflicted on/to the fan base wouldn't go a miss. I'm no traditionalist. I'm a paying punter with expectations of how I'd like to be treated. The Cardiff Devils fell short of my expectations here. I'm not walking away. I'm voicing an opinion on a forum designed to voice an opinion about the Devils. Couldn't give a monkeys if that upsets players, owners or a fan. These last 24 hours has been a disaster in terms of fan engagement. Just look at polls and the messaging. It's an own goal! A car crash! "We need to grow" just doesn't cut it.

but....

"you can see the C and D in the horns".... oh my!

kettdevil1

The Giants' fans are not laughing at the logo...they are laughing at our fans' reaction to it.

If our team is one iota as successful as theirs next season, the debate over our logo will seem less significant.

The change in the Giants' logo and shade of teal on their jerseys affected neither their team performance, their history or their ethos even if many of their fans probably had opinions.

Perhaps we need to take a leaf out of their book. After all, their PR machine in recent years has been pretty good.
Absolutely. Their fanbase is having a field day at the moment and whilst I hate typing these words.... in the respect of their rebrand, we have to take a leaf out of their book.

lloyd_jeff

Steve's in a lose lose situation here. He's fronted up and he's posted a response. It hasn't hit the mark for me but I do appreciate the gesture and effort of responding. Thank you Steve.

What I would urge the club to do is look at the polls and look at the strength of feeling - not just here but on every platform. To dismiss that and call us "traditionalists" just isn't the way to do it. Further more, to look at "merchandise sales are ahead of where they would be" just compounds the poor messaging and is wide of the mark. It's insulting. Money flying in tops fans posting an opinion that they aren't happy. That isn't "fan-centric". Fans are unhappy and upset about the poor communication and the way this was handled. You surely can't ignore that. I don't care if some idiots who post mindless stuff has given the inferno or the Devils fan base a bad name because they are the minority. They simply don't matter but there is movement here Steve, again not talking about the Inferno, every single platform has the majority of consensus being that the logo is wide of the mark. Requiring a nameless logo in order to grow just isn't something that lands with many of us. I feel you've dismissed the fans and underestimated the strength of feeling.
If we move away from social media, the next measure would be up in the face, person to person, so how can the silence in the arena last night be explained. ST holders who took time to attend, to then be not impressed at all. An “expert” can advise paying clients on the facts & figures of brand change, but when a large % if not the vast majority of die hard heavy spending customers leave upset. It may explain why they work out of a small garage in a residential street in Roath.

lloyd_jeff

I'm going to assume John Donovan has been busy, looking at the sponsors on the ice. I can't argue against increasing revenue while there aren't any seats left to fill. It's that or increase the ticket prices, I guess. I know which I prefer.

The new box over by the away block looks very interesting. I was getting 'commentary box' vibes from it, though it may just be more corporate seating.
The price will increase, what will decrease is the availability of seats to watch live, hence the commentary box for the crew doing the streaming. Cardiff have yet to announce their plans regarding their steaming plans. In a yr or 2 you’ll need to be a ST holder, willing to pay a premium and then be vetted to get a seat in the arena. The rest will be watching at home on the best quality streaming service that Vindico can muster, for a premium price, of course.

Last edited:

Rempel16

Yes..... exactly and what was the reaction...... you tend to get a split which means that people are consulted and then you reject what many of their fans voted for which is worse than not consulting at all. The Everton vote is still causing a lot of venom being spat round the city.
Yes you may get a split but at least fans feel like they were part of a choice. It wasn’t thrown at them with no notice.

hip check

Exactly. Maybe people should Google the Ford Pinto to find out what happens when you try.

I have to admit not to ploughing through all of the pages in this thread but the parts I have read have reinforced my growing dislike for social media and forums in general. Some of the reactions are so over the top that I am struggling to understand people's mindset. I get that some people don't like the logo, I don't like the food in the rink and i could probably name lots more niggles that are present in my hockey world but actually.... in the great scheme of things don't actually amount to a hill of beans......because it doesn't take away from the fact that I love watching Crawford play, am interested to see if Chad can develop with a settled season and am cautiously optimistic that Mosey can stay fit. That surely is the most important things that came out of yesterday?

I am honestly gobsmacked that people are saying that they are walking away because of this but, clearly that is their choice. It's just the fact that some of the posts come over as so..... entitled that infuriates. If people have an issue then why not raise it with the club rather than rant on social media?

We currently have Belfast fans laughing at out fanbase which.... is another thing that is a niggle for me :)
You talk a lot of sense and I believe a number of supporters have gone a bit OTT regarding this rebrand. For me the on ice performances are the reason why I love my hockey night, the rebrand is of a lesser importance to me, so whether I like it or not it's happening but I can't say it'll spoil my enjoyment of watching my favourite team playing my favourite sport.

Personally, the club could put anything on the front.
We are still the Cardiff devils and the most important thing is the hockey and the team PR has put together if that is as shit as the logo then we have a problem