3rd August

osh

Do people really believe that having 5000 people come up with a logo design is practical/possible?

as for comments on the players, nobody is questioning the passion of our fans and nobody questions the fact that we have the best followers in the league. But just like you are allowed to make comments about their performance, they are certainly allowed to make comments as well and certainly comments by a small minority have been fairly noticed. Never fair when critics feel like they are above being criticized. You guys asked me to comment so I have but I’m going to leave it there. More than any other off season, I really cant wait for the hockey to start. I’ve gone down player vs player on other squads and I feel very good about this team.

osh

Sorry to disagree here Steve…but your comment ‘ small minority’ etc is stretching it a bit, ? I ‘d say the ‘vast majority’ - the opposite of a small minority - judging by the responses are against the rebranding ! Having said that, it shouldn’t in any way alter the performance of our team when they eventually get on to the ice, Needless to say, we are eternally grateful for The ‘Calgary investment’ in our club and in no way does that effect our support of the players who represent us in the coming season. I see it as a huge incentive for the players to prove many of us wrong. Just be aware, if they don’t perform as expected they will be subjected to criticism as would happen on any fan base in any sport !

Last edited:

E.D.S.

I like the logo and I get the thinking behind a rebrand. I also accept this is with the benefit of hindsight, but I can't help thinking the comms were misjudged.
I don’t get the rebrand as it hasn’t been explained to me. It doesn’t need to be explained to me and I don’t have a right to have it explained to me. I’m just confused by the decision making behind it.
Unfortunately, for me “the club could put anything in front of me” doesn’t resonate either. I don’t feel it’s an over the top reaction. Whether you’ve been here since ‘86 or ‘86 minutes ago… changing a clubs logo because you felt like it without any communication is a massive own goal. Some acknowledgment of that would be appreciated. So far, nothing but “sales are up”. Here’s some new branded flip flops. Massive f@@k up in my book.

The new logo is what we would expect to see against other rec teams in our beer league. The fiasco of how it has been handled is what has upest people. Give people notice. Hold consultations. Read the room.
Match night experience, facilities, rink decor, sound acoustics....these are things people complained about and needed addrsssing. Nobody ever complained about the logo. It was the best in the league.
This rebrand has put huge pressure on Pete Russell, the players, and ownership that was not needed. Unless the team have a huge season it is going to be a massive failure......for that reason, I am oooouuuuuttt.

Last edited:

GAVIN

Devils players asking what is wrong with our fans is devastating to read Steve! :( I’m more and more convinced some people thrive off negativity!! It’s not just devils fans, it’s across the board, across the league and across many sports on social media. It’s a very sad state of affairs.
These are some of the players who didn't have the guts to turn up to do what they are paid for and took the paying public and the owners of the devils for a ride last season. only one player had the balls to say it as it was. I don't remember any senior management saying it either...yes the logo is terrible but that ain't going to stop me watching the games just not going to pay for a shirt that I don't like... people entitled to their opinions, just as much as the players crying to you about the fan base.... if the product wasn't so bad last year then the change might not have been so bad....

I am a Cardiff Devils fan. I am proud of our team and what we have in Cardiff. Last year we were put at the top of a poll of loyal fans and that was great to see. However, I find this moaning about the logo frankly embarrassing. The owners put their money in and therefore they have the "risks and rewards" of ownership. Steve doesn't have to respond to our messages. Remember, we are fans. We support our club through thick and thin. Trust in the owners and lets start the season and remind the rest of the league why we were top pf that poll.

Pleximan

Thank you for taking the time to respond on here Steve, I/we certainly do appreciate that and like others have said, I absolutely 100% appreciate all of what you and tge ownership group have done over the last 9 years.
We have has some good recent years winning championships and a lot of good players in that time, but for me I also fondly remember the Devils teams of the 90s during a great time playing the mighty Durham Wasps and Murrayfield Racers.
Then we moved to our new logo, the best logo in the league by miles and many great Devils have worn it with pride, Ian McIntyre, Doug McCarthy, Mike MacWilliam, Mike Ware, Steve Moria, Derek Herlofsky, Ivan Matulik, Vezio Sacratini to name just a few. Great memories to be forever cherished.

Now I can accept change, moving with the times, most of us do this all the time in our own work routines, but what I just don't understand is the need to change something that just simply isn't broke. Where has it been previously mentioned that our 'current' logo needs changing, that it was an issue that needs to be addressed? Nowhere is the answer, it simply was not an issue and it 'is' the best logo in the league by far.
But maybe the logo could have been tweaked with a few minor alterations that would have given it a fresher look without losing the identity or the instantly recognisable brand.

A simple consultation with the fanbase would have been the right thing to do and would have avoided this reaction by many Devils fans, what we have to remember here is that for every person posting their feelings on here there are many others who don't but hold the same opinion and feelings as these posts. I can certainly vouch for a number of fans who don't post but have equally strong feelings so the Inferno is a very good barometer of how many Devils fans feel about many topics.
I think the main message to come out of this is that the fan base are very upset that they were not consultated, not included in a process, and more importantly........not valued by the club. That hurts!

The new season will start with an underlying pressure and discomfort amongst the fan base that just didn't need to be there. A huge on goal by the club that has now heaped unnecessary pressure on Pete Russell and the players to deliver results to appease the fan base, a pressure that simply was not needed. Just why has this happened?
All so very unnecessary and absolutely avoidable.

There we are.

Kevlar68

However, I find this moaning about the logo frankly embarrassing.
See that's your opinion which is fine, you think fans moaning about the logo is embarrassing which is what your moaning about. So on the same level fans can have their opinion on the logo. It's just opinions, that's all.

Cardiff city redrand also has same reaction - "The rebranding provoked disappointment and anger among fans of the club, known as the Bluebirds".

So it's not uncommon when a rebrand happens.

Ocko

You can’t compare it to the Cardiff City rebrand. A complete change of colour, with matching seats in the new stand and most of all changing the Bluebird to a dragon is worlds away to what has happened in the Bay.

All the Devils have done is change one constipated looking red man with a side profile constipated looking red man. They aren’t too different, when you take the emotion out of it. The new one is just simpler and enables a wider branding option with the other logos and lettering etc and is better for the digital world.

Slartibartfast

For me this was a huge marketing comms gaff. I struggle to attend weekday events but I rushed from work and skipped dinner to drive to Cardiff because I wanted to hear the big news that was promised. In the queue going in you could feel the excitement. Rumours were flying around about what the big news was. Some big D man from Belfast had been spotted in Cardiff, Lewis was coming back as a D coach, maybe it was an ex NHLer. But no. It was a godamn logo that no-one wanted.

I think when everyone realised the big news was a logo and there was no big signing it put everyone in a real negative mood. So when the logo was revealed it didn't really stand a chance.

To be honest if they had said come along to hear our last 3 signings and a Q and A session with Todd I would have still gone even though we all knew who the signings were. I enjoy listening to Todd. But I left disappointed and hungry.

Even my 11 year old daughter who doesn't have 30 plus years of hockey cynicism thought the evening was a disaster

fans are loyal to the club and probably most of the season will be a hell out.. Yes i think the new logo is pants and i have a right to my opinion like anyone else does. Its not going to stop me from turning up and watching the team...

I personally will not purchase a new shirt as i dont like it.

The problem i have with Steve's message when he moans about players contacting him being upset with fans on the forum. THESE same players who wanting Dupont in and look where that got the game. Abysmal sometimes... There was only one player that actually had the guts to come out and say that some of the players were taking liberties and enjoying the free ride.

If you didn't support the team, how would you know from looking at the awful picture, that this is in relation to the devils... you would not and that's what most people are displeased about as it loses the identity of the club.

the Management have a right to do what they wants as its their money, but must also respect fans for their comments. if the players dont like the comments then don't be on a forum which is open for people to air opinions and do your talking on the ice and prove them wrong.

Last edited:
I am a Cardiff Devils fan. I am proud of our team and what we have in Cardiff. Last year we were put at the top of a poll of loyal fans and that was great to see. However, I find this moaning about the logo frankly embarrassing. The owners put their money in and therefore they have the "risks and rewards" of ownership. Steve doesn't have to respond to our messages. Remember, we are fans. We support our club through thick and thin. Trust in the owners and let’s hat start the season and remind the rest of the league why we were top pf that poll.
I can’t believe I didn’t see that poll. Can you provide some further information and a link if possible please? It would be great to show some of my friends.

My suspicion, however, is that there was, in fact, no such poll and what you are actually referring to is this
https://www.cardiffdevils.com/news/cardiff-devils-named-one-uks-most-loved-sports-teams/ but I stand to be corrected.

Either way, it is very opportune to be reminded of Todd’s words in that article.

“We pride ourselves on being open and honest with our fans and trying to keep it fun and engaging whether we win or lose. I’m so proud of the staff who are the real drivers for this and of our team for buying into the vision of putting fans first, ahead of everything else.

We would like to say a huge thank you once again to the fans who’ve stuck with us as we’ve navigated the pandemic. Your continued support allows us to keep taking the fan experience to the next level."

Putting fans first ahead of everything else. Taking the fan experience to the next level. On a scale of 1-10, how have management done on the issue of this new logo?

Someone needs to get Specsavers on board as sponsors -if they can find any more room on the ice- as the organisation appears to have been stricken with sudden visual impairment!

jimmy snels

The new logo is not too bad . It is modern and grows on you . The reaction on Inferno has been embarrassing really.
Not really just the inferno is it though?
The elite league banter page is littered with piss taking on Facebook (comparing us to a laughing cow, Jimmy hill and a pound land NHL logo some of the better ones) and twitter is full of disappointment/disapproval.

Let's be honest, it's a crap logo that no one wanted. It's not going to be happy clapped away. I don't want a response from Steve about it, he doesn't need to justify himself to me, but I sure as hell can tell him that this rebrand is dog crap, ill thought out and gives us as a minor sport in Cardiff no real clue as to what the hell sports team we are too non devils fans. I genuinely had the logo posted in a friend's group asking me what this shit is, a non hockey fan asked "what teams this for?". If that doesn't answer the question about what's wrong with it I don't know what will

The prior Logo was great. And from 2014-2020 our teams wore it in many champagne soaked trophy photos. When Covid stopped the league, the Devils were on top. We had consistently been winning trophies, and were in the mix on all competitions.
When rebranding was discussed, I was skeptical at first as I have 10 years of great memories starting with that first year and our bus ride to Sheffield. So I understand the attachment and passion to the Logo as many here have followed and loved the team for much longer than me.
But I grew to love the new Logo, not because of its marketing benefits. For me it represents intent. We have been involved with your awesome club for a while, and we are as excited as the first year. We have put a great coach and team together and we are planning to fight our way back.
I have had a whole to think about this, and it. Is fresh for all of you. So it may take time and seeing the on ice efforts, but I want this to mark our return to being the Logo that the other teams hate the most in their barns, ( not our fans)

Swarley

The prior Logo was great. And from 2014-2020 our teams wore it in many champagne soaked trophy photos. When Covid stopped the league, the Devils were on top. We had consistently been winning trophies, and were in the mix on all competitions.
When rebranding was discussed, I was skeptical at first as I have 10 years of great memories starting with that first year and our bus ride to Sheffield. So I understand the attachment and passion to the Logo as many here have followed and loved the team for much longer than me.
But I grew to love the new Logo, not because of its marketing benefits. For me it represents intent. We have been involved with your awesome club for a while, and we are as excited as the first year. We have put a great coach and team together and we are planning to fight our way back.
I have had a whole to think about this, and it. Is fresh for all of you. So it may take time and seeing the on ice efforts, but I want this to mark our return to being the Logo that the other teams hate the most in their barns, ( not our fans)
I full get what you're saying but the thing I can't get away from with this new logo is the fact we are supposed to belive the horns have a C and D in them, it's an insult to our intelligence to come out with that, do you see the C and D in the horns because literally anyone I've spoke to about it has said there is no way there is anything like that in that logo.

Having that thrown at us feels like we've been fed chicken salad when it's really chicken shit.

The team side of things i can't wait to see what the coach has planned especially against Belfast because of Keefe and Russell being close with the GB connection.

august04 2.0

The new logo represents “intent”?! That’s just more marketing nonsense, along with the C and D of the horns! I would have thought putting together a blinding roster to overcome the Giants this year would have been more of a message of intent to the other EIHL clubs, than designing an unwanted new logo, which looks like it was cobbled together by a 5 year old.

doron

I understand the need to bring in more revenue by sponsor adds and other means
but it does come to a stage wear it affects the game. Adds on the ice is ok
but to what degree before it impacts play. And enjoyment of the game.

Cardiff devils are lucky to have the owners that we have.
And I do believe that they care and want the best for the club and fan's
can they make mistakes, yes ,we all can

it looks like what the club is doing is what is called de-branding,
going form complex logos to down to basics logo's apparently its a trend
for me trends come and go. Should we go with the trend for me? no.
the marketing team may find its a good idea, ??
but there are many times that marketing teams have got it wrong.

We had a very iconic logo, am I saying don't change it no, but be considerate of the logos past,

I do believe it was bad decision to not get feedback off the fans,

what do people like about the old logo
1 devils wording
2 in your face logo
3 stands out from the crowd

what do people dislike about the new logo
1 the penguin / seal
2 the generic design ( a year to get this logo come on ? one google search job done)
3 does not stand out