3rd August

Wannabe2

Thread starter #382
The prior Logo was great. And from 2014-2020 our teams wore it in many champagne soaked trophy photos. When Covid stopped the league, the Devils were on top. We had consistently been winning trophies, and were in the mix on all competitions.
When rebranding was discussed, I was skeptical at first as I have 10 years of great memories starting with that first year and our bus ride to Sheffield. So I understand the attachment and passion to the Logo as many here have followed and loved the team for much longer than me.
But I grew to love the new Logo, not because of its marketing benefits. For me it represents intent. We have been involved with your awesome club for a while, and we are as excited as the first year. We have put a great coach and team together and we are planning to fight our way back.
I have had a whole to think about this, and it. Is fresh for all of you. So it may take time and seeing the on ice efforts, but I want this to mark our return to being the Logo that the other teams hate the most in their barns, ( not our fans)
Firstly Brian thank you for your post, I don’t want to talk about the other night, but I would like to take a minute and thank you for a sentence that means a ton of good vibes to many Devils fans. When a owner comes on here and says We have been involved with YOUR AWESOME CLUB, that says a lot about a man, you guys have put the money in, and without a doubt taken us to another level, but has the good nature and character to say those words it’s like a breath of fresh air. So I would like to say thank you mate, it’s about respect at the end of the day.

august04 2.0

Firstly Brian thank you for your post, I don’t want to talk about the other night, but I would like to take a minute and thank you for a sentence that means a ton of good vibes to many Devils fans. When a owner comes on here and says We have been involved with YOUR AWESOME CLUB, that says a lot about a man, you guys have put the money in, and without a doubt taken us to another level, but has the good nature and character to say those words it’s like a breath of fresh air. So I would like to say thank you mate, it’s about respect at the end of the day.
”Your awesome club” yet they drive through this unwelcome and unwanted change without any fan consultation? Both Steve and Brian have now said they both disliked the new logo when they first saw it, with Brian also stating that he was sceptical about the re-branding when it was first discussed, so someone else has driven this through. The guys in Calgary shouldn’t have to come on here and defend this change, but that doesn’t mean we can’t express how we feel about something very dear to the vast majority of fans and at least let the ownership group know that this hasn’t been handled in the correct way, respecting the fans of this great club. Not riding roughshod over them.

Putting fans first ahead of everything else. Taking the fan experience to the next level. On a scale of 1-10, how have management done on the issue of this new logo?
I have no problem with the process the management did. I feel no need to have been consulted, nor do I expect them to not do the best for the club.

Someone needs to get Specsavers on board as sponsors -if they can find any more room on the ice- as the organisation appears to have been stricken with sudden visual impairment!
What point or purpose does the sarcasm serve? Sure you don’t like something or agree, fine. But it’s this constant embellishment that people feel the need to add that I don’t get or find useful or necessary.

Jonesy83

The fact 2/4 owners have come on here and stated that they had to learn love the new logo and it had to grow on them says it all to me. (Thanks for the honesty).

If the first time you see the new logo, that is going to be the main visual of the club for years / decades to come and the first thought isn’t “WOW” “that’s amazing”. Then it should have been vetoed then and there.

I’m not saying a rebranding is a bad thing, or unnecessary, for reasons, we are fans wouldn't know the in’s & out’s of….but this logo could belong to any team in any sport to me.

I’d love the new logo to grow on me like it has the owners but atm, I can’t see it happening.

Lets be honest we have had different owners over the years. Some things done good or bad, I feel that I would rather have a new Logo, rebranding and a Devils team to watch as on times in our history we could have lost. I agree with some comments on here but lets be real its just a new Logo which in time we will all come to be a little positive about.

I have no problem with the process the management did. I feel no need to have been consulted, nor do I expect them to not do the best for the club.

What point or purpose does the sarcasm serve? Sure you don’t like something or agree, fine. But it’s this constant embellishment that people feel the need to add that I don’t get or find useful or necessary.
Not that I have any need to answer or justify myself to you but I considered sarcasm an appropriate way to highlight the duplicitous nature of the statement previously made about putting fans first ahead of everything else and the action taken in regards to the new logo which you may not have a problem with but many of us clearly do. It was also a means of conveying my disquiet about the ad riddled state of the ice surface whatever the justification for that.

As regards usefulness or necessity, precisely the same question can be asked of the second part of your post. My "excuse" is it helped to salve my irritated emotional state induced more so by the hypocrisy than the loathsome logo. I trust you were similarly emotionally salved by your post? The question is rhetorical by the way as I’m not really interested in anything further you might have to add and I couldn’t care less if you now "get it" or not.

My apologies to other posters for the off topic post.

Kevin roog

I can remember watching arsenal in early 2000s and an hour before kick off,they paraded a new logo on a banner around the pitch ,saying this is the new club crest/logo,30 thousand ish booed like fuck and everyone hated it,but nobody died and people got over it

hip check

I understand the need to bring in more revenue by sponsor adds and other means
but it does come to a stage wear it affects the game. Adds on the ice is ok
but to what degree before it impacts play. And enjoyment of the game.

Cardiff devils are lucky to have the owners that we have.
And I do believe that they care and want the best for the club and fan's
can they make mistakes, yes ,we all can

it looks like what the club is doing is what is called de-branding,
going form complex logos to down to basics logo's apparently its a trend
for me trends come and go. Should we go with the trend for me? no.
the marketing team may find its a good idea, ??
but there are many times that marketing teams have got it wrong.

We had a very iconic logo, am I saying don't change it no, but be considerate of the logos past,

I do believe it was bad decision to not get feedback off the fans,

what do people like about the old logo
1 devils wording
2 in your face logo
3 stands out from the crowd

what do people dislike about the new l
ogo
1 the penguin / seal
2 the generic design ( a year to get this logo come on ? one google search job done)
3 does not stand out
I have no doubt the owners care for our club there's no doubting that
Lets be honest we have had different owners over the years. Some things done good or bad, I feel that I would rather have a new Logo, rebranding and a Devils team to watch as on times in our history we could have lost. I agree with some comments on here but lets be real its just a new Logo which in time we will all come to be a little positive about.
A supposedly unpopular logo which is all hearsay tbh won't spoil my hockey night, I go to see an entertaining and competitive game which I think we'll get this season with the new coach and opposition teams who all look like they'll give us a good game, I don't go to compare logo's it's the hockey for me.

mjh

Personally, I think the new merchandise looks pretty good. Not massive fan of the jersey but then again, I haven't been since the stitched designs a while back. I'm just looking forward to seeing the new players take to the ice and seeing what PR can do with this roster. Hopefully we'll be up there battling it out for silverware come the end of the season. Grateful for having this awesome team in my hometown!

lloyd_jeff

The prior Logo was great. And from 2014-2020 our teams wore it in many champagne soaked trophy photos. When Covid stopped the league, the Devils were on top. We had consistently been winning trophies, and were in the mix on all competitions.
When rebranding was discussed, I was skeptical at first as I have 10 years of great memories starting with that first year and our bus ride to Sheffield. So I understand the attachment and passion to the Logo as many here have followed and loved the team for much longer than me.
But I grew to love the new Logo, not because of its marketing benefits. For me it represents intent. We have been involved with your awesome club for a while, and we are as excited as the first year. We have put a great coach and team together and we are planning to fight our way back.
I have had a whole to think about this, and it. Is fresh for all of you. So it may take time and seeing the on ice efforts, but I want this to mark our return to being the Logo that the other teams hate the most in their barns, ( not our fans)
Thanks for the response, sentiment and engagement, that’s not really relevant. Why, well the fact no information was mentioned, 12 months in development & you’ve grown to love it, yet ignored the passionate fans, the lack of forthcoming information, well that just stinks of ignorance or arrogance, basically the actions cancel out the words. As owners you’ve every right to bring in anything you wish, without consulting anyone, as business owners you’ve grossly underestimated Cardiff Devils fans passion, the size of your market place and although this is early days and yes you’ll sell merch, you’ve sent fan sentiment back, regrettable for your business, it’s likely to be financial impacted for some yrs to come. People will come, but only to watch the hockey. As for the marketing benefits, you do realise you’re a 3,200 seat arena club and most fans don’t enjoy streamed games, it’s a make do platform, if you think you’ll sell to thousands more fans on tv, good luck……..

Last edited:

lloyd_jeff

I'm going to cut to the chase...to diffuse this PR CAR CRASH, all Todd has to do is come on here and apologise to us fans!! Then we can all move on!
That’ll never happen, he’s been spending too much time with the new sponsor, he’s thinking Purple, he’s in a Purple Haze of Limegreen Tangerine in their little garage in Roath. If Elon can stick a massive two fingers up to Twitter and rebrand it with a massive X and fill it with hate, well so can Todd in little old Cardiff, unlike Titter he’s only upsetting a thousand or so people….

Pleximan

Thanks for the response, sentiment and engagement, that’s not really relevant. Why, well the fact no information was mentioned, 12 months in development & you’ve grown to love it, yet ignored the passionate fans, the lack of forthcoming information, well that just stinks of ignorance or arrogance, basically the actions cancel out the words. As owners you’ve every right to bring in anything you wish, without consulting anyone, as business owners you’ve grossly underestimated Cardiff Devils fans passion, the size of your market place and although this is early days and yes you’ll sell merch, you’ve sent fan sentiment back, regrettable for your business, it’s likely to be financial impacted for some yrs to come. People will come, but only to watch the hockey. As for the marketing benefits, you do realise you’re a 3,200 seat arena club and most fans don’t enjoy streamed games, it’s a make do platform, if you think you’ll sell to thousands more fans on tv, good luck……..
I find it hard to disagree with this. I do think that the fan base has been largely ignored through this and the landscape has changed. Unfortunate episode, a PR disaster.