4pm F/off ...

Kevlar68

Your child sees it on TV, wants to go but the options are a 7PM face off or 6PM face off, but your kids bed time is at 8?
Yep good point but where on TV? EIHL has only been on Freesport this season with games few and far between and it would be on most times past the kids bedtime as its a midweek or Saturday game and NHL is on even later.

Sundays may be the only day the whole family can sit down together for a family meal and most people have Sunday roast between 1pm and 3pm so 4pm would be a rush.
Families sometimes do all their visiting on a Sunday afternoon or even church before the afternoon.
If its a family day out and sunny day i'm sure most families would prefer to be out in a park enjoying the sun for free than paying £52 (based on a family of 4) we had some glorious days in Feb.

As i said i'm happy either way. I'm just trying to show both sides of the coin for all circumstances.

I think the way forward to attract new supporters is a family ticket at a discount price (2 adults, 2 children under 15) like the Red Army Travel do. It may be more of a incentive to come along than a change in face off times.

august04

I really don't understand what the issue is with a 4pm face off. To suggest it affects attendance or atmosphere is a bit laughable, given this game was a sell out. As most have pointed out, a 6-0 training session is always going to result in a flat atmosphere. For every person that can't make it for a 4pm start, there is someone who can probably do with leaving a 6pm game earlier than the rest.

It's also worth bearing in mind that the most popular and largely attended sport in the country takes place between 12pm and 5pm every weekend, which certainly doesn't affect atmosphere and ticket sales.
It was a sell out because we’re into the title run in, it’s against the Steelers (historically, probably our greatest rival) and the club threw everything at it (NHL night, NY trip, giveaways etc). Kelman is no fool. And the atmosphere was flat, no getting away from that. As some have mentioned before, let’s have a 4pm start against Dundee in November, then you can really compare against the normal 6pm starts.
As Kevlar68 mentioned, why don’t we look at a family ticket to attract families/kids with discounted pricing, instead of messing around with something that isn’t broken - but that’s very unlikely to happen.

Last edited:

Wannabe2

It was a sell out because we’re into the title run in, it’s against the Steelers (historically, probably our greatest rival) and the club threw everything at it (NHL night, NY trip, giveaways etc). Kelman is no fool. And the atmosphere was flat, no getting away from that. As some have mentioned before, let’s have a 4pm start against Dundee in November, then you can really compare against the normal 6pm starts.
As Kevlar68 mentioned, why don’t we look at a family ticket to attract families/kids with discounted pricing, instead of messing around with something that isn’t broken - but that’s very unlikely to happen.
With you there brother, as for youngsters being the future that’s true to a certain extent, but if your 5/6/7 it’s going to be many years before your paying Adult prices, if your still interested that is. Your not going to please everyone, and everyone has their own point of view, and there all valid.

RTfarty

It was a sell out because we’re into the title run in, it’s against the Steelers (historically, probably our greatest rival) and the club threw everything at it (NHL night, NY trip, giveaways etc). Kelman is no fool. And the atmosphere was flat, no getting away from that. As some have mentioned before, let’s have a 4pm start against Dundee in November, then you can really compare against the normal 6pm starts. As someone else also mentioned, why don’t we look at a family ticket to attract families/kids with discounted pricing, instead of messing around with something that isn’t broken - but that’s very unlikely to happen.
Not really the strongest argument, given a Dundee game in November is unlikely to sell out regardless if the game starts at 6pm or 12pm. As you say, Kelman is no fool, an earlier face off is best utilised against opposition of a Sheffield, Belfast, Nottingham calibre. Fans will always turn up for them, it opens up the game to another demographic and frankly, having a few hours to spare after the game on a Sunday is a welcome change.

There have been atmospheres just as flat for 'normal' face off times, it's got nothing to do with it. A 6-0 training session is the reason for the flat atmosphere. If the game took place at 6pm it would be exactly the same.

The lengths to which people are complaining about something that happens four times a season are ridiculous in my opinion. Other than work, any reason not to attend a 4pm game is a personal choice.

Wannabe2

Yep good point but where on TV? EIHL has only been on Freesport this season with games few and far between and it would be on most times past the kids bedtime as its a midweek or Saturday game and NHL is on even later.

Sundays may be the only day the whole family can sit down together for a family meal and most people have Sunday roast between 1pm and 3pm so 4pm would be a rush.
Families sometimes do all their visiting on a Sunday afternoon or even church before the afternoon.
If its a family day out and sunny day i'm sure most families would prefer to be out in a park enjoying the sun for free than paying £52 (based on a family of 4) we had some glorious days in Feb.

As i said i'm happy either way. I'm just trying to show both sides of the coin for all circumstances.

I think the way forward to attract new supporters is a family ticket at a discount price (2 adults, 2 children under 15) like the Red Army Travel do. It may be more of a incentive to come along than a change in face off times.
Can’t see many young people getting hung up on hockey by watching freesport, yes it’s all we have but it very very poor, and as you say it’s the wrong time for youngsters anyway with games far and few, (wonder how many youngsters say Dad Mum can we watch freesport please, can’t wait to watch Adey and the other dude) that’s joking of course ???.

Gazza272

The highlights on the news? BBC Website? Josh Batch got hooked on hockey watching Mighty Ducks, there are plenty of places kids find hockey (as a broad sport) it's the parents who then find the Devils.

Anyway, we are getting caught up in the weeds a little here. I'm very sympathetic to the fact the face off times are going to be an emotional subject to some, and i'm not sure exactly what the right answer is.

My reply to you, was simply in relation to your suggestion that ' If your interested in starting to watch ice hockey you would go no matter what the time ' I think that's true of adults, but that isn't who this face off change is aimed at. And time will be a factor for some people.

august04

Not really the strongest argument, given a Dundee game in November is unlikely to sell out regardless if the game starts at 6pm or 12pm. As you say, Kelman is no fool, an earlier face off is best utilised against opposition of a Sheffield, Belfast, Nottingham calibre. Fans will always turn up for them, it opens up the game to another demographic and frankly, having a few hours to spare after the game on a Sunday is a welcome change.

There have been atmospheres just as flat for 'normal' face off times, it's got nothing to do with it. A 6-0 training session is the reason for the flat atmosphere. If the game took place at 6pm it would be exactly the same.

The lengths to which people are complaining about something that happens four times a season are ridiculous in my opinion. Other than work, any reason not to attend a 4pm game is a personal choice.
I never said Dundee in November at 6pm would sell out did I? That example was used for a 4pm faceoff, so that you could compare with a ‘normal’ game. Then at least you’re making a fair comparison, attendance wise anyway.

Kevlar68

Good conversation topic this one i think.

I just don't think we can assume 4pm is a better time aimed at families with young children to bring in new supporters.

If it was for away supporters so they can get back at a reasonable time i can see that but how many times in a season has the away supporter block been full?

If it was put to me as a family would you prefer a earlier face off time or say 20% off a family ticket for 4 or 10% for family of 3 (just an example) i would opt for the discount. As we all know it isn't cheap to be a supporter what with travel to arena, car park, tickets, food and drink, so any saving would be more appreciated than time change.
The money they may lose from family discount they could make up from merch sales once they get a feel for the sport.
You got to get them through that door and times wouldn't be a factor for me.

Its all swings and roundabouts when it comes to attracting new supporters i suppose.

Last edited:

Gazza272

where can you see hockey on TV before an 8pm bedtime - maybe 30mins of FreeSport every other week - any more
I've covered this in subsequent posts on this thread. the point of my post, wasn't really about the specifics of where kids can see hockey. More that, if you have a child in the bracket of going to bed earlier, our traditional face off times may not be suitable for them, which was in contrast to Kev's comment that if someone is interested in the hockey they will go regardless.

Kids don't have that choice if they are in a routine.

But in general, if you are say a 7 year old child, then there are plenty of places you may come accross hockey, a playstation game would be one that springs to mind instantly. maybe a friend in school talks about it a lot? again my post wasn't really about exactly where they find it.

Paul Sullivan

I generally stay out of these debates as I am not a ticket buyer and I respect the opinions of those who are, and have work or family commitments.

The only thing I can say is that early face-offs seem to have been a success for every EIHL team that have implemented them, and the ones this season (granted I haven't checked this) do not seem to have been any less well attended than any other games or times.

I have seen this discussion take place many times since coming back to work for the Devils in 2008 and, honestly ,every discussion, poll, leaflet and flyer drop or online discussion has made Brexit look like a runaway landslide.

It suits many. It doesn't suit many.

For me, anything that keeps our Club as a financial, commercial and sporting success? That's fine. But I totally get the debate on this.

Last edited:

Samael

The answer is to mix it up which is exactly what the club are doing. The op (That means original poster for the benefit of all the geriatrics XD) was asking for NO 4pm starts. You're never going to please everyone so you may as well please your self. This has been a good debate though with lots of well reasoned responses. I apologise if l have ruffled some zimmer frames here with my remarks, they are tongue in cheek and l am in no way taking away anything from all the 30+ years fans l merely want to see the club grow/evolve.

Wannabe2

The answer is to mix it up which is exactly what the club are doing. The op (That means original poster for the benefit of all the geriatrics XD) was asking for NO 4pm starts. You're never going to please everyone so you may as well please your self. This has been a good debate though with lots of well reasoned responses. I apologise if l have ruffled some zimmer frames here with my remarks, they are tongue in cheek and l am in no way taking away anything from all the 30+ years fans l merely want to see the club grow/evolve.
Fair comment but you also need to realise without some of the geriatric fans, this club certainly wouldn’t be growing, as it wouldn’t even be here. Some old farts got off their fat rumps put in a lot of time and lost a lot of money in wages to keep this place alive, not just alive but in the place we have now. Now that sounds like a boring old twat talking, and I know that’s me, but no one wanted to see this club grow more than those who walked the walk, and done it with owners who didn’t give a rats arse about this club. Don’t ever forget buddy our passion is exactly the same, we all love this great club and that’s what we all have in common, we will all be geriatric at some time, unless we fall by the wayside like many others unfortunately have.

pjj365

My issue (which does not affect me - I like 4pm) is that STs are being bought on trust.

Just one or two people - using the family car for weekend work so a group can't get to the games - makes any more than 5 x 4pm games (I think) break even. Go for more than this and a ST is more cost!y than walk ups ( ignoring the potential but currently unknown discount on non-ST games)

Management needs to communicate better on this

kingmo19.1

Thread starter #75
Strange one - target the home games for the families and young kids, yet where are they when we play away ?????? Nowhere to be seen - when will they be seen, maybe in 10 years time ?

I'd like to see 4 x 7pm Friday night face off's next season to see how we fayre with those - that might attract more adult fans - plus that might also increase the away following as a knock on effect !

pjj365

Strange one - target the home games for the families and young kids, yet where are they when we play away ?????? Nowhere to be seen - when will they be seen, maybe in 10 years time ?

I'd like to see 4 x 7pm Friday night face off's next season to see how we fayre with those - that might attract more adult fans - plus that might also increase the away following as a knock on effect !
Good point but excluding Scotland - 20ish games for one adult at roughly £35 a trip = £700. That's a big ask for a couple when you add in Belfast weekend and Playoffs.

To get more travelling support takes more than changing home FO times