A question about the officials

Thread starter #1
With football if referees make a terrible judgement they either get passed over for the next weeks games or in worst cases demoted to a lower league does the same thing happen in ice hockey?.

Wannabe2

Its the other way about in hockey, if they make bad calls, and cant see, they are promoted to officiate Elite league games. ;)

TheStub

I think there is the provision for those sort of actions - but it is unlikely to happen as there are so few officials available.

The problem we have is the limited pool of officials makes it difficult to take the steps to help the officiating improve.

wildthing74

Spot on Stub.Hard enough to get people to do it.for all its a thankless task we have had a few muppets over the years that would have been demoted within a few games yet were able to ref for years and years.
Shame more ex players dont get involved cos at least they understand the game and what to call.Would be e perfect solution but guess many would not want to take stick off former mates and colleagues.

James

Administrator
I'd guess there is a fear that you would be too closely associated with a club if you had played for them. Not that that really matters with Carson and Hanson calling games for their team as they see fit.

Thread starter #6
Dont you think that an official who supports any team in the league should not officiate the team they support this would call into question they're neutrel status

James

Administrator
Yes I do believe that, unforunately I have no say :)
I do know for a fact that for example when the Devils play up in Edinburgh, the team have to work taking penalties where there are none into the gameplan as Moray is going to call them deserved or otherwise.

TheStub

No matter what they do, as long as Hicks officiates Cardiff games and Hanson Caps games, there will be questions asked.

But, we don't have enough people or budget, so they end up officiating their "home team".

Still doesn't explain how Hicks ended up calling the Belfast game in Belfast - they could have flown any of them out there...

Gaz G

James said:
EPL. With the Bison moving down and him living on the south coast it made more sense.
Didn't know he lived down there. Daft as this sounds I figured he came over from Canada every year :oops:

wildthing74

He was one of the muppets I was refering too.Don't miss him.I had a few years away from the sport when my kids were being born to spend more time at home and my first game back was with him in charge and needless to say he had not improved one bit.Thinks the crowd are there to see him and not the hockey.A bit like Nico Toemen back in the day.

Jones72

wildthing74 said:
He was one of the muppets I was refering too.Don't miss him.I had a few years away from the sport when my kids were being born to spend more time at home and my first game back was with him in charge and needless to say he had not improved one bit.Thinks the crowd are there to see him and not the hockey.A bit like Nico Toemen back in the day.
That's a bit harsh, IMHO.

Completely agree that initially he was not the best ref (to put it diplomatically), but I thought he'd improved dramatically in recent years. In fact I would say he became one of the better refs.

Finny

Boniface is only doing EPL this season to cut down on travelling unfortunately.

Whilst Hicks lives in Cardiff, he is not from Cardiff originally and I don't think you could say he is a fan of ours.

dave

TheStub said:
1. No matter what they do, as long as Hicks officiates Cardiff games and Hanson Caps games, there will be questions asked.

2.But, we don't have enough people or budget, so they end up officiating their "home team".

3. Still doesn't explain how Hicks ended up calling the Belfast game in Belfast - they could have flown any of them out there...
1. Dean Smith is local to and far more Welsh than Hicksy.....
2. Budget does effect the allocations and also you can only have x amount of officials for the league otherwise they would not get the number of games to remain at a level to officiate as they are not allowed to do EIHA games..
3. More than likely due to availabilty as they all have jobs etc and some companies are more flexable with time off than others. Mike is self employed so is more flexable than others..
4. Nigal is only doing EPL/This year due mainly to where he lives and the lack of games he would have just being in the elite.
5. So far this season 2 officials have been removed from games, one for an extended time, So they do get monitored etc

TheStub

I wasn't making out that Hicks (or Smith) are Devils fans - but they can't win.

We think they are biased against us, and the other teams think they will be biased towards us. So, ideally they shouldn't officiate their local team.

If we had the money, then that might be actually doable too. :lol:

Wannabe2

wildthing74 said:
Spot on Stub.Hard enough to get people to do it.for all its a thankless task we have had a few muppets over the years that would have been demoted within a few games yet were able to ref for years and years.
Shame more ex players dont get involved cos at least they understand the game and what to call.Would be e perfect solution but guess many would not want to take stick off former mates and colleagues.
Totally agree Mike Rowe was one of the best refs, an ex player who was a tough cookie also, he didnt mind the rough stuff happening, mind you he took one of the sweetest punches ever thrown in the UK,by a certain Mr Nicky Chinn, when he was a Devil, it knocked his helmet 20-30 ft away and it was a BEAUTY.

Best bit is that Hicks is English not welsh at all, born down south to be exact.

It's all about finances and timescales really. Refs closer to rinks keep the travel costs down for the league and clubs, as with Belfast seeing as they have many mid week games it's who ever is the available to go. Money is tight, fanbases are low and the league takes officials fees from the clubs so costs are kept to a minimum thus car sharing etc.

As previously stated officials will always be cast as playing favourites to their home rink. Moray used to be a netminder back in the day and he played for GB also so he knows whats what and is one of the better officials in the league. IMHO