All the "panic the rink might close" threads combined

Thread starter #1
Rumour has it that the council, after giving them every opportunity to sort out the rink they won the tender to build, have pulled the plug on Planet Ice.
Mike Petrouis has apparently already said that he will be taking his ball (tent) home.
Whilst I am glad that P.I. are out of the picture I'm just curious as to what happens now.
Discuss.

TheStub

Re: Council Grow A Pair And Give P.I. The Boot?

If true this was the right decision for the council to take. What will be interesting is how they manage to talk PI down.

This does mean that (provided PI don't follow throught their threat) we will be in the tent a while longer - but we maybe will get the facility we want in the end.

steve

Excellent news.

Lets hope there is a proper contract in place guaranteeing the Devils right to use the tent.

As the operating company i guess PI could make it very difficult for a match night to go ahead (especially with box office issues) if they chose to be petty. Hopefully PI will realise that behaving in that way will cost them considerably in terms of reputation with other authorities.

If the operating license is up in December, presumably PI would want to be awarded a short extension on that (until the new building goes up) even if they are not developing the new arena. If they want to play silly buggers, someone else will have to take over the operators license for the tent - i'll do it ££££ :twisted:

TheStub

The big threat is dismantling the building.

It may be expensive - but removing the ice plant would be legal and cause major problems.

Thread starter #5

If they do that it would be worth the council replacing it and recouping the money by running the tent themselves.

I have never been a 'doom and gloom' kinda person but does anyone else have a horrible feeling that the Devils 25th anniversary year maybe their last ?

Hynod

Twinkle said:
I have never been a 'doom and gloom' kinda person but does anyone else have a horrible feeling that the Devils 25th anniversary year maybe their last ?
Nope :D

danhall76

You never know we might get a respectable rink after all :D

Twinkle said:
You have more chance of elliswf putting a sensible post on here... :lol:

But PI don't own the building do they? They own the tender to run it, but I doubt they'd be allowed to stop ive activities taking place.

Sounds like threats to keep the tender, that they have no intention or ability to carry out.

ASHIPP

steve said:
Excellent news.

Lets hope there is a proper contract in place guaranteeing the Devils right to use the tent.

As the operating company i guess PI could make it very difficult for a match night to go ahead (especially with box office issues) if they chose to be petty. Hopefully PI will realise that behaving in that way will cost them considerably in terms of reputation with other authorities.

If the operating license is up in December, presumably PI would want to be awarded a short extension on that (until the new building goes up) even if they are not developing the new arena. If they want to play silly buggers, someone else will have to take over the operators license for the tent - i'll do it ££££ :twisted:
(MY BOLD) Yes this point had been raised on the SORAC thread. This will be a major concern now - this is mid-season for the Devils. :?

The council won't shut the rink, they will either award PI an extension or issue it to a third party.

So we have the Devils administration playing politics with the season ticket money / holders

And now we have Planet Ice playing politics with the staff livelyhoods. How many work in the building? inc cleaners & part time staff etc. What about the figure skaters and all the young kids who use the rink?

can't all these people just grow up :evil:

Chris

Administrator

Isn't this what everyone wanted, Planet Ice out and someone else to build/run the rink?

I imagine there must be some sort of contingency plans in place?

Chris.

Gazza272

Koop11 said:
I thought PI owned the rink

Me Too, I believe Matt burge stated this when he was interested in buying it to move it after the new rink was built.

Mike Petrious could literally take his rink and go home. But he only has himself to blame. If he didnt have the money to build a rink then dont put in a tender.

He could take his ball home, but there would be a massive cost to this, firstly he would have to actually pay any monies owed to the Council, then he would have to pay contractors to take it down, pay storage, haulage etc or alternatively he could stay there and make some more money, which would make good business sense. If he wants to be petulant then it is going to cost him and he will lose income, it all depends if he wants to lose that money just for spite and wether his need to be a good business man over rides his need to be a drama queen

Foxy

Probably better i ask the question here but who held the reserve tender?
edited to add i thought the council owned the rink PI won the right to run the facility

Foxy said:
Probably better i ask the question here but who held the reserve tender?
edited to add i thought the council owned the rink PI won the right to run the facility

P Ragan as Cardiff Ice Arena

Foxy

So all the time hes told the fans to hold back as he had backers for the new rink was for............................................