Anyone worried?

Kevlar68

WNIR run with just one pad with I think if I remember 6 teams using it and figure skating. The problem with that is ice time allocation.
Having now only the one pad used more and more the ice pad gets a hammering and the quality of the ice pad can suffer.

moggy#9

WNIR run with just one pad with I think if I remember 6 teams using it and figure skating. The problem with that is ice time allocation.
Having now only the one pad used more and more the ice pad gets a hammering and the quality of the ice pad can suffer.
Yeah the wnir pad used to crack up and deform badly because if the sand base. The current pad will be taking a battering from public sessions and constant use.

moggy#9

And not forgetting the speedway bikes wrecking it in a period break, almost got called off as the ice was wrecked. ..Mr Kirkham was not impressed..
Yeah, I'd forgotten about that. Another time someone put the red carpet down on the ice too soon after the zamboni and it had to be scrapped up again before the game could start.

lloyd_jeff

No

4 organisations have expressed interest, there still in negotiations with the preferred. They need agreement to the below.

56. The Council has recently completed the acquisition of the Greenbank Partnership Ltd assets including the Ice Arena, with the existing lease arrangement remaining in place with the existing tenant to continue operating the Ice Arena in the short-term. A new long-term lease is currently being negotiated, with this report recommending the appointment of a preferred long- term operator for the Ice Arena as set out in Confidential Appendix 5, although this appointment remains subject to completion of suitable legal agreements, as well as suitable commercial terms, including a requirement that the Ice Arena will operate with no form of financial subsidy by the Council. This objective will be assisted by the proposals to make better commercial use of the second ice pad, details of which are set out within this report and in Confidential Appendix 6.

The previous operator of the IAW couldn’t run it without a deficit. The viability studies highlighted the need to permanently remove the second pad to increase revenue with a view to making the IAW viable, without an alternative use being adopted, the Council stated today that IAW & Cardiff will loose the IAW facility. The new leaseholder will need to agree to the risk, the Council want the risk removed from the public purse onto the private operator.

Last edited:

lloyd_jeff

Which will stay as a Ice Arena.
If you still doubt my fear mongering & can stomach reality, watch the meeting that is available on the Council site. You’ll hear Goodway state that without the viability of the redeveloped 2nd pad Cardiff will loose the main pad.

moggy#9

If you still doubt my fear mongering & can stomach reality, watch the meeting that is available on the Council site. You’ll hear Goodway state that without the viability of the redeveloped 2nd pad Cardiff will loose the main pad.
I'd trust goodway about as far as I could throw him, but the problem is that he has the ear of the other incompetents on the council.

lloyd_jeff

It is not scaremongering, it’s not an opinion, l‘m repeating comments made by those who didn’t want an ice rink, have spent a quarter of a decade & still haven’t completed the development. The rink isn’t a jewel, it’s a financial disaster that is at risk. But hey, let’s park this until the 1 remaining operator has passed the required criteria, agrees the terms & is announced.

Wannabe2

It is not scaremongering, it’s not an opinion, l‘m repeating comments made by those who didn’t want an ice rink, have spent a quarter of a decade & still haven’t completed the development. The rink isn’t a jewel, it’s a financial disaster that is at risk. But hey, let’s park this until the 1 remaining operator has passed the required criteria, agrees the terms & is announced.
If you want to park this then fine, so don’t keep on, by the way it is a jewel it’s our jewel, not yours obviously but it is ours. So leave it there park it up.

Finny

I remember you scare-mongering under a previous username, claiming that IAW would never be built.

Hedd Wyn John

You can revamp the bar all you like, you basically have to drive to get to the IAW, unless you are one of the small population that lives there, so that knocks drinking down there on the head. But would be interested to know how you would revamp the bar to increase the profit.
Cogan train station is only a 10 minute walk but I don't think a huge amount use it.

Overall though the IAW wasn't designed to maximise game night revenue. It needed a proper concourse around the rink & the bar & kitchen facilities should have been a lot bigger but it was built on a tight budget & it is what it is.

Wannabe2

Well Goodway says the present operator wishes to turn the 2nd pad which is losing money into a more profitable usage, and that he doesn’t know numbers, but if losing the 2nd pad helps to make the main pad viable then that has to be good to enable Cardiff keeping the facility. There was nothing detrimental in his statement which was a plus.