Belfast Haven't Broken the EIHL Roster Rules......because...

Finny

Thread starter #1
Hoping someone can help me out with this as I'm struggling to get my head around how Belfast have signed their 22nd import of the season.

Before last season the EIHL were very good at their communication on rules and published the new Roster Regulations. The document for which can still be found here: https://www.eliteleague.co.uk/document/15-2021-22-roster-regulations-summary. Throughout the season they then confirmed when players were going onto Injury Reserve and what that meant to players coming in.

This season they've been pretty poor on their communication, but they did before the season announce the game day roster limit had been increased but that the max number of non-homegrown players that could be signed (excluding IR cover) was staying at 20:
https://www.eliteleague.co.uk/article/2406-gameday-roster-size-increased-to-20

So Belfast start the season signing:
Lake(1) Baum(2) Goodwin(3) Cooper(4) Ruopp(5) Bast(6) Foley(7) Butcher(8) McAuley(9) Owre(10) Raine(11) Jones(12) Cullen(13) Gilbert(14) Angeli(15) Soy(16)
So that allows them 4 further changes, excluding those brought in 'temporarily' for players on the Injury Reserve List. So they go on to sign:
Roach(17) Neuls(18) Beskorowany(19) Eriksson(20) Cooper(21) McLeod(22).

Now, Raine retired. So although I never saw it mentioned at the time I guess they could claim that he is on the IR list? That would bring them down to 21.
In yesterday's press release they said that Soy (and Garside) is on the IR. So if Soy doesn't play at all again this season and McLeod covers him then that theoretically brings it down to 20.
But, although the limit is 20 one of those has to be reserved for an emergency netminder transfer after the deadline. Which means the limit is actually 19 (+1 reserved).
So what am I missing?

moggy#9

I believe what you're missing is that this is Belfast, therefore the rules don't apply. ;-)

The thing is the league should police these things directly by refusing to register further signings. We're, yet again, back to the league's lack of transparency and lack of accountable, independent management.

kettdevil1

I can't see any flaw in your logic so there are three possible answers:

1) The rules have changed but haven't been communicated
2) The Giants have an extra player on IR (I think Goodwin left the game against Guildford?)
3) They have broken the rules

The rules are very clear indeed about the 20th spot so.... anyone fancy asking the EIHL?

Pondlife

If anything happens to Besko, won't he go immediately onto IR and effectively back into retirement? If so, doesn't that mean they go back to 20 with his replacement? I don't know how strict the Emergency Nettie rule is.

kettdevil1

If anything happens to Besko, won't he go immediately onto IR and effectively back into retirement? If so, doesn't that mean they go back to 20 with his replacement? I don't know how strict the Emergency Nettie rule is.
In the rules that @Finny linked to there is no room for manoeuvre so you have to have one for a nettie

Finny

Thread starter #6
It's an interesting idea, but they would still need to bring in an extra netminder. Which would count as the 20th change. What Besko does is irrelevant as the rule effectively assumes that the netminder is out for the season.

Gisland

It's an interesting idea, but they would still need to bring in an extra netminder. Which would count as the 20th change. What Besko does is irrelevant as the rule effectively assumes that the netminder is out for the season.
That would leave Dickson and Whistle. How many Goaltenders are the minimum?

Finny

Thread starter #9
But the nettie doesn't have to be an import does he? Or doesn't it matter?
If Besko was to retire they could indeed replace him with a British netminder. But that doesn't change the fact that they made the change from Jones to Besko in the first place.

Finny

Thread starter #10
That would leave Dickson and Whistle. How many Goaltenders are the minimum?
You're quite right they could decide not to bring in another import and go the rest of the season with Whistle and Dickson.
But, the EIHL rulebook clearly states that:

"Note: one change is automatically reserved for an emergency goalie after the IIHF Transfer Deadline has passed. All teams must keep this change open and available"

I've highlighted the word 'must' to show it's not an option. The 20th import signing must be left open.

Mooney#16

I might be having a brain fart but did Belfast ice 15 imports last night. Not fully sure of the Brit/import status of all there guys.

They iced
Ruopp, Baum, Roach, Cullen, Foley and Bast = 6

Lake, Cooper, Owre, Cooper, Nuels, Goodwin, Gilbert, Macleod, Ericsson. = 9

Last edited:

BostonBart22

I might be having a brain fart but did Belfast ice 15 imports last night. Not fully sure of the Brit/import status of all there guys.

They iced
Ruopp, Baum, Roach, Cullen, Foley and Bast = 6

Lake, Cooper, Owre, Cooper, Nuels, Goodwin, Gilbert, Macleod, Ericsson. = 9
Didnt conway play