Ben to Clan

Finny

I think we all know that Ben was a couple of months away from having his breakout season. Looks like it will be with the Clan now.

Clan have got themselves one of the best young brits, if not the best.

the Mark Smith announcement i could just about get my head around (i didnt like it, but thought along the lines of the whole thats life lets move on and see what whis can do) but now this??? making me very nervous right now!!!!

Temme said:
Black Monday.

Do they issue season ticket refunds? As I'm seriously regretting paying outright for mine.
As a season ticket holder for the last four years, I really feel for those who have parted with there money for next season.

Who is next, Richie to Sheffield, Myers to Nottingham/Telford, Batch to Braehead, Faulkner, Lord, Kurka, Marsh, Plumton all said to be moving on.

What exactly are all those who have bought season tickets paying for??

Whis is rumoured to have a budget, which in real terms is similar to Edinburgh, what can we hope for next season?

Next season should have been all about preparing ourselves for the big move into the new arena, may as well not bother, cos if next season turns out the way things are shaping up, we will only have attendances of 500-600 and therefore the arena won't be required.

Feel sorry for all the people who have put a lot of time and effort into the new arena, only for a couple of people to completely ruin the name of the Cardiff Devils.

Temme

Unless by some miracle this season will be my last.
I knew mark smith was leaving a while ago, didn't think to Coventry but knew he was headed out.
I wonder why Ben has chosen to sign for a team in the 'weaker' conference, seems strange, however Braehead have big crowds and under finnerty are capable of great things.

On the brighter note, bowns for Davies is a like for like replacement. Both up and coming top young British players, arguably Bowns is more 'there' and Davies, who's still waiting for his breakout season.

We need Mark Richardson to ink a new deal, as well as MM and Batch, whilst it would have been great to keep all our Brits and gain one in Bowns, but realistically we knew it wasn't possible!

RTfarty

Huge loss for us, huge! The best up and coming Brit in the country in my opinion.

All this doom and gloom about giving up already though?

If the majority of fans had it their way, we would have the same players year in year out, with the same results year in and year out. Devils fan seem to have a hard time letting go of any players.. more than any other fan base in the league in my opinion. Players come and go, and get replaced by someone who is just as capable of doing a job, that's professional sport.

I'm sure Whis has some very exciting players lined up, and if you were looking from the outside in, replacing a chunk of players from a team that finished second from bottom probably isn't a bad thing. Cardiff needs some fresh faces, and although I would've preferred to keep Ben, and (if rumours are to be believed) Richardson in Cardiff.. I don't think that option was going to be on the table for very long anyway, regardless of what went on this season.

Can't disagree with anything in your post.

All the Doom/Gloom merchants need their daily feast - seems like they're having a banquet today.

Richardson IMO did not perform for us last year and was not a stand-out at the IIHF either. Time will tell who Dave Whistle can bring in and I'm willing to be patient.

Some people can't let go of the problems of last season and seem to want to have a pop at the Club - even before the first puck is dropped.Whatever, I have renewed my ST and will still look forward to match-night at the BBT.

Diafol

I'm with the previous two posters.

Very disappointed to see Ben go, and Mark Smith will also be a loss to the team.

However, loads of people complained that the players we had last season were underperforming or just not good enough - hopefully Whis can get a decent squad together and we can move on (not "move forward" - I am so sick of that phrase !)

I too have renewed my ST and will be supporting the players on the ice old and new come September.

Iam gutted the players have left us but as long as we replace them with decent or better players happy days.
Legue and Meyers left steelers but you don't see there fans crying like ours!

We will be fine and I have faith in whistle.

Finny

Steve56 said:
Richardson IMO did not perform for us last year...
Really???

Mark Smith leaving was annoying. Ben leaving was frustrating. If Richardson left too I would be devastated. Fortunately, I think the fact that it is so close to home for him means we will keep a hold of him.

ASHIPP

Big loss for the Devils but not irreplacable. Clubs with bigger offers and better facilities and crowds are going to be attractive. And if a player doesn't want to be here then better he moves on.

Whis already hinted we would lose players and recruitment would be challenging. Think I am prepared to put faith in his experience to get a team together.......although signing news may be take time. Rebuilding a team over 3 years won't bring trophies but we will have a team to watch.

Loosing players from a team that reached the heady heights the Devils did last season does not by definition equate to a loss.

Ice hockey is no different to any other sport, players come and go, makes actually very little difference to a team's dynamics in the off season.

I have no faith in Ragan's ability to form a team, I do in Whistle, no issue for me today.

Foxy

Whistle stated that he would like to retain our brits seems as though hes not going to get his wish. Whether this is down to budget (then bloody increase it. Ragan is getting enough off season ticket prices) or treatment of the players last season who knows. Fans tried to warn Ragan but he dismissed their views. Seems they might be right though.

ASHIPP said:
Big loss for the Devils but not irreplacable. Clubs with bigger offers and better facilities and crowds are going to be attractive. And if a player doesn't want to be here then better he moves on.

Whis already hinted we would lose players and recruitment would be challenging. Think I am prepared to put faith in his experience to get a team together.......although signing news may be take time. Rebuilding a team over 3 years won't bring trophies but we will have a team to watch.
Couldn't agree more - I think some posters on here are going to have a very very long off-season.

Good luck to Ben (and Mark Smith) Hope your moves work out OK for you. Thanks for wearing the Devils Jersey with pride

Press releases are a tool for negotiation and not actually worth much in the way of facts, so stating he'd like to keep Brits basically translates to me as, "I haven't spoken to anybody yet, I'm still deciding on budget and dynamics and at this stage anybody is a possible resigning".

He may have left for a number of reasons, again being bottom of the league I see few players worth keeping, really depends on Whistles wish list and who would fit within that.

Paul Sullivan

chillee said:
Press releases are a tool for negotiation and not actually worth much in the way of facts, so stating he'd like to keep Brits basically translates to me as, "I haven't spoken to anybody yet, I'm still deciding on budget and dynamics and at this stage anybody is a possible resigning".

He may have left for a number of reasons, again being bottom of the league I see few players worth keeping, really depends on Whistles wish list and who would fit within that.
Good to see someone else agree that the Devils PRs are not factually worth much ;)

Good luck to Ben, I think he will do very well out of the local boy spotlight and with a strong roster in a weaker conference. Chalk and chess organisations.

Irrespective of our finish last year losing a home-grown, emerging International & Elite Brit is a strong indictment of the state of the Devils.