Best Retired Jerseys

Thread starter #1
It's the off season so we all need something to talk about and debate.

Which team has the best group of retired jerseys. Went to the Blaze away CC semi final and saw two shirts hanging in the rafters, one of which was 55 Cooper, not sure if that's our Stephen Cooper or not. I don't know if someone can list each teams retired jerseys so that we can compare.

Would put our retired numbers up there from the off.

James

Administrator
Cardiff Devils

#7 Doug McEwen
#9 John Lawless
#10 Jason Stone
#14 Brian Dickson
#19 Steve Moria
#35 Shannon Hope

Coventry Blaze

#12 Steve Chartrand
#55 Stephen Cooper

Belfast Giants

#4 Shane Johnson
#11 Colin Ward
#16 Rob Stewart
#18 Graeme Walton
#27 Paxton Schulte
#44 Todd Kelman

Nottingham Panthers

#3 Gary Rippingale
#10 Randall Webber
#11 Greg Hadden
#22 Payl Adey
#77 Corey Neilson

Sheffield Steelers

#4 Tim Cranston
#7 Ronnie Wood
#9 Ken Priestlay
#16 Tony Hand
#26 Ron Shudra

Hull Stingrays

#10 Stephen Johnson

Edinburgh Capitals

#21 Chris Kelland

Fife Flyers

#16 Gordon Latto
#17 Mark Morrison
#47 Frank Morris

Braehead don't have any and if Dundee do its a secret.

Wannabe2

StevenBletsoe said:
It's the off season so we all need something to talk about and debate.

Which team has the best group of retired jerseys. Went to the Blaze away CC semi final and saw two shirts hanging in the rafters, one of which was 55 Cooper, not sure if that's our Stephen Cooper or not. I don't know if someone can list each teams retired jerseys so that we can compare.

Would put our retired numbers up there from the off.
It's our Stephen Copper mate.

I think our list is ridiculous for a club that has been in existance for 15 years. Only 2 names should be on there in my opinion.

we've also retired a "seat" in the arena that belonged to Jim Gillespie our owner for many years - his photo hangs in the bar, and he is the "honourary President" of the club.

James

Administrator
I've added ours onto the list. Does anyone know if the club still plan to retire #26 ? I'm conflicted on the matter as I don't think it's deserved but should be honoured once announced.

Wannabe2

James said:
I've added ours onto the list. Does anyone know if the club still plan to retire #26 ? I'm conflicted on the matter as I don't think it's deserved but should be honoured once announced.
In reply James,Brad played 314 games for the Devils over 7 seasons, I am convinced that in these days that will never be bettered by a import. Brad was our franchise player, he was our Captain, he scored he hit he fought, and he was wanted by every team in the league, but he loved the Devils unconditionally. Should his shirt be retired without a doubt it should. That's my take anyway.

James

Administrator
I can see the argument for. Brads first game for the Devils was my first game watching them so for years he was the Devils for me too.However, Maxi has equalled Brads game / season count since he left and G has beaten it so the fact it can't be bettered by an import isn't correct. Jason Stones shirt retirement for me was a no brainer, now there is a record that can't be beaten. I'm unsure if Voth should have been by that metric but like I said it certainly should be honoured once its been announced.

Wannabe2

Got me wrong there mate, I meant I don't think it will be bettered in the future, it's also not just about the games you played it's about what you brought to the club surely. Vother played more games than Lawless in that scenario, it's whether it's creditable to retire someone's shirt, and for me Vother definately deserves that.

Ocko

To me it's nothing to do with how many games he played it's what he brought to the club. I've watched since 91/92 and I don't think we've ever had a player so iconic.

KaneDevils

Agree with wannabe. Imports are ten a penny. Will there ever be another voth? Probably not.

I wonder if jarolin for the caps has a case? Regularly put up good points in a struggling team. Stayed loyal too. May never get a good a player as him?