Blaze v Devils - 11/02 @ 19:00 - League - Chat/Updates

Russky

Going purely by MNL's coverage, the Devils seemed well in control from first puck drop. Pity Bownsy missed out on his deserved shut out as he was unbeaten up to the point Murdy took over from him in goal, not that I am blaming Murdy for that, just our lax D units. I am a firm believer of never lifting your foot off an opponents throat, metaphorically speaking. I realise that Lordo was resting key lines once the game was won but conceding 3 third period goals is not acceptable at any time, even if we do win the game. Such actions lead to complacency and the Devils cant afford to be complacent with the Giants tugging at their coat tails.

An added bonus was that the Squeelers lost as well but to a worryingly resurgent Panthers team,

Last edited:
I'd be more worried if we had won the game 10-0 by going for the throat and flogging our top lines to death before what is a massive game tonight. Think the coaching team like Wednesday got this spot on.

Devil_Abroad

Going purely by MNL's coverage, the Devils seemed well in control from first puck drop. Pity Bownsy missed out on his deserved shut out as he was unbeaten up to the point Murdy took over from him in goal, not that I am blaming Murdy for that, just our lax D units. I am a firm believer of never lifting your foot off an opponents throat, metaphorically speaking. I realise that Lordo was resting key lines once the game was won but conceding 3 third period goals is not acceptable at any time, even if we do win the game. Such actions lead to complacency and the Devils cant afford to be complacent with the Giants tugging at their coat tails.

An added bonus was that the Squeelers lost as well but worryingly to a seeming resurgent Panthers team,
Bowns did get his shutout - 3 goals were against Murdy

One goal was magic by Almeida (?) whilst the other 2 were D collapsing too much trying to protect Murray I guess? It was the other side of the rink. Murdy made some great stops as to Bowns. The game though comfortable score wise and for long periods was competitive at times - Blaze had their chances.

The one thing they miss most I think is aggression in the D-zone - they need to be more physical.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Devil_Abroad

One goal was magic by Almeida (?) whilst the other 2 were D collapsing too much trying to protect Murdy I guess? It was the other side of the rink. Murdy made some great stops as to Bowns. The game though comfortable score wise and for long periods was competitive at times - Blaze had their chances.

The one thing they miss most I think is aggression in the D-zone - they need to be more physical.

Russky

One goal was magic by Almeida (?) whilst the other 2 were D collapsing too much trying to protect Murray I guess? It was the other side of the rink. Murdy made some great stops as to Bowns. The game though comfortable score wise and for long periods was competitive at times - Blaze had their chances.

So its still classed as a shut out even though Bowns didn't finish the game on the ice ? I thought he had to be on the ice for all the game or for the replacement netminder to be unbeaten at the end of the game for it to count as a shut out.

Devil_Abroad

So its still classed as a shut out even though Bowns didn't finish the game on the ice ? I thought he had to be on the ice for all the game or for the replacement netminder to be unbeaten at the end of the game for it to count as a shut out.
If a netminder plays the whole game then yes but once he leaves the ice and so shares the goaltending then a shutout is not possible regardless of whether the other netminder saves all shots against him; I believe that's the case. Bowns stopped all shots on him but to gain a shutout he would have had to play the 60mins. I think.

Russky

I'd be more worried if we had won the game 10-0 by going for the throat and flogging our top lines to death before what is a massive game tonight. Think the coaching team like Wednesday got this spot on.
Fair point but t Personally I would have rested players like Martin, Haddad and Myers for the last ten minute cycling our 3rd and 4th offensive lines alternately to give our first and second lines a rest. The entire D unit needed to be given short 30 second shifts to keep the intensity in order to be totally focused on their defensive duties.

Devil_Abroad

In the last period I think Fournier took a knock at the far end and so Culligan went on D for about 10 mins before Fourier returned back late in the period. The D missing Hotham played five all game as with Bordy missing up front Lord still wanted to roll 4 lines all game I guess for this very purpose - to give everyone a rest for the game against the Panthers.

backrow

Another way to give some players a little rest would be to give some players who hardly ever get Power Play time a shift or two on the PP. It could have happened last night in Coventry with the 5-1 lead and again tonight with a 3-0 lead but......

Finny

Why not??
They have won more than us in the last 10 years.. really good team just haven't clicked this season..
Yes they've won more than us, but they haven't spent the last 10 years in a tent.

Can't agree though with the suggestion that they are a really good team. They've sneaked a couple of good results from Stewart's netminding but the table doesn't lie.