Blaze v Devils - 23/03 @ 5:15pm - League - Chat/Updates

ASHIPP

Certainly don't want the Sheffield Steelers lifting any trophies. I respect the excellent job G has done since going there with a team he inherited and his skills will surely secure the Head Coach position next year. BUT he and former Devils' players play for the opposition now.

Will be supporting Fife in the Playoff final stages. Would love that proud club to reach the POFW in their 75th year. A fitting celebration. With the battling form they have found recently, they deserve success.

ASHIPP said:
Certainly don't want the Sheffield Steelers lifting any trophies. I respect the excellent job G has done since going there with a team he inherited and his skills will surely secure the Head Coach position next year. BUT he and former Devils' players play for the opposition now.

Will be supporting Fife in the Playoff final stages. Would love that proud club to reach the POFW in their 75th year. A fitting celebration. With the battling form they have found recently, they deserve success.
Excellent job! In the last fortnight they have lost TWICE to Hull! One reason we don,t have a playoff spot.
I think we need to look at 9th place in this years perspective. Four teams ahead of us in the league have had a much easier schedule. We ( and Coventry) played arena teams 8 times to their 4. We played Edinburgh 4 times to their 8.
If the old style league was in place, we and Coventry may well have finished ahead of Nottingham!

ASHIPP said:
........ I respect the excellent job G has done since going there with a team he inherited and his skills will surely secure the Head Coach position next year. ..........
He inherits the 2nd best team in the league....and loses twice in a fortnight to Hull !! Where's the skill in that ?

ASHIPP

schulersagoodun said:
ASHIPP said:
........ I respect the excellent job G has done since going there with a team he inherited and his skills will surely secure the Head Coach position next year. ..........
He inherits the 2nd best team in the league....and loses twice in a fortnight to Hull !! Where's the skill in that ?
Schuler - I get your point completely. But compared to Christiansen, G has at least managed to get some consistent performances out of that team. They lost 2 out of 8 I think whoever they were playing. And with that the additional pressure for G to prove himself for the Coaching job next year.

Steelers still maintained their 2nd league position. Devils dropped to 9th!Fife on the other hand chalked up some great results against strong opposition and focused on their excellent form game by game.

And I still dont want the Steelers to win anything especially after the sycophantic gloating on Steeltalk that Devils crashed out of the Playoffs.

Can't say that I was expecting anything less from Mr Hanson - Cardiff don't have the Je ne sais quoi, it takes to convince Mr Hanson to "create" an alternative interpretation of events to generate a different outcome, and hence it really doesn't come as any surprise that Cardiff will start the new season with a top end Brit down.

Genuine question? - Does anyone know how many instances there have been this season where Cardiff have had a Match Penalty (Dodgy or otherwise) downgraded, and how this treatment at the Ivory Towers of EIHA Discipline compares with other teams in the League.

The most noteable instance where Mr Hanson has demonstrated beyond reasonable doubt his inconsistency in his adjudications this season (IMHO) was when he found it necessary to invent a conveniently lesser alternative offence for when Keefe blind-sided Conboy (Keefe having travelled some significant distance, occasioning significant head trauma after the puck had been clearly played away) - A cynic would arrive at the conclusion one rule for one and one rule for another!!

Mooney#16

+1. And then he chased him out of the league.

I learnt all I ever needed to know about Moray when he made that call in the play off final with a few minutes to go. What ref wants to dictate the outcome. Moray did. He hides an inability to correctly interpret the game with the rules is rules mantra. It's not his fault on a personal level just I personally believe his reading of the game is incorrect. Moray has his opinion and he has his finger on the trigger so you have to live with it but stating Moray's opinion makes something factually correct is incorrect.

Not saying that is the case on Myers hit but he has historically made some heavy handed non interpretive calls. Makes the whole disciplinary system unfit for purpose. Personally it should be by committee of a spread of skill and experience not just the zebras.

Wagstaff

I havent seen any video and have kept my big gob shut until now as usually when I open it, something conspires to make me look stupid, but the video evidence will eventually come out so surely for a three match ban for checking to the head to stand scrutiny, Matt Myers must have hit to the head?
At the time (I was in block 1 by where it happened)in the heat of the moment, I thought he led with his arm, but if my memory is correct a poster on here said "soft call, shoulder to shoulder" when I see it again I will make my mind up?!

DevilDom

I believe this is Matt's 2nd ban this season whilst playing for the Devils.

Does anyone have any recall of how many times he was banned last season playing for the Panthers?

There is no way the penalty was ever going to be downgraded. That penalty virtually saw us out of the play offs. If it was deemed to be incorrect - what a mess!!!
I was at Coventry, but did not see the incident. However, I don't remember the Coventry players or fans making a fuss at the time.

Contrast this disciplinary approach with that in the NHL where the forensically documented frame by frame video explanation supporting decisions leaves no room for interpretation for cynics like me or for gerrymandering at ivory towers - the sooner we can progress to this type of transparent approach the better, that must be the standard that the league should aspire to.

Mooney#16

Having now seen the highlights for that hit to carry three matches. I despair. Moray has as predicted gone straight down the line with no interpretation. The speed of decision making for Matt to throw that hit meant there is zero time to pick a spot on your opponent. He doesn't target the head. It's an instinctive hit. Guthrie has turned and dropped a shoulder exposing his head to the check. It's coincidental contact to the head. I'd have given 5+game for elbows and that's being generous because of the injury. You can just tell Moray was a crap goalie sometimes.

I haven't got the ability to slow the hit down but the most I would call this is elbows. I can only assume Moray has got an automatic email response to call bans set up and it's picks them at random.
Coventry fans who said it was right in front of them and said it was dirty, I'm sorry but I really am struggling to see how that is checking to the head.

Have watched the video and to me it confirms what it looked like on the webcast. 2 minutes would have been a poor call in my view. The video seems to show Guthrie checking Myers not the other way and then after the collision he comes to a halt and then falls into the boards. Obviously this is not what mr Hanson sees so I must have tinted glasses.

As we know now there was no injury of any significance as the player is to return this weekend. I could go on but it just annoys the hell out of me that there is no consistency in these decisions. :(

Wagstaff

benh84 said:
I haven't got the ability to slow the hit down but the most I would call this is elbows. I can only assume Moray has got an automatic email response to call bans set up and it's picks them at random.
Coventry fans who said it was right in front of them and said it was dirty, I'm sorry but I really am struggling to see how that is checking to the head.
I'm not going to go through the whole thread to check but I posted that Moray had decided that it wasn't a soft or dodgy call....... I also posted that I sat in block one and thought Matt Myers led with his arm, so having seen the video and bearing in mind this is on a phone, I think it looks like the wrong call, I also believe that my view was correct unless the location of the elbow is no longer in the arm? So I would say 2 for elbows, and 3 matches at the start of next season is not how I saw it then or see it now.

Wagstaff said:
benh84 said:
I'm not going to go through the whole thread to check but I posted that Moray had decided that it wasn't a soft or dodgy call....... I also posted that I sat in block one and thought Matt Myers led with his arm, so having seen the video and bearing in mind this is on a phone, I think it looks like the wrong call, I also believe that my view was correct unless the location of the elbow is no longer in the arm? So I would say 2 for elbows, and 3 matches at the start of next season is not how I saw it then or see it now.
...and it was not how the 2 Coventry commentators saw it on the webcast - they were content with the "hit" - even on replay.

Koop11

I’ve seen the highlights including the incident. Remarkable to say the least. That’s twice now that Myers have been penalised for a ‘check to the head’ this season when both are not even close to being so - not even penalties.

Another opportunity to tuck the Devils up whilst being too short sighted to see how damaging this is for the league’s already poor reputation within European hockey.