blight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ocko said:
Whilst I am very much of the opinion that our players haven't been treated in a professional manner, that is completely an opinion based on what is obvious, such as timings of sackings etc.

But what I would hazard a caution with is thinking the players are feeding the fans with information which I think is far from the case. The amount of fans who claim to be in the know and friends with players is hilarious most of them are the usual people on Facebook and twitter kissing their ass calling them bud, mate etc like they've been friends for years is beyond. The people who genuinely have been told by players about treatment etc would have enough respect for their confidentiality to know not to put it on a forum or social media. At least that's if they are a true buddy :lol:
So it would be unprofessional for Ragan, Pope etc. to divulge dressing room business, but ok for players to talk to friends, who then use this forum to broadcast what they have been told!

Paul Sullivan

Mildly amusing that the thread has been taken over by (some of) those who oft criticise others for taking over threads.

Irrespective of whether some fans think others kiss players asses or not, the truth of this matter will out and many of us will either be vindicated for our views or very foolish for our comments (I mean all fans who have taken opposing views here, not merely any one 'faction').

The truth of the treatment of players will be demonstrably obvious from now on and particularly into the off season. Either key players that any organisation would attempt to re-sign will do so, or there will be an exodus.

I'm as bored of having points marginalised as 'friends of players' or 'personal agenda' as those doing those things are of hearing from people who share my views.

Come March and April we will all know, won't we?

I'll make a prediction though - pressure will be placed on Whis to re-sign as that will be seen as a gateway to keeping players the Club would otherwise lose, even though it will not suit at least one agenda within the Club.

Sadly this pantomime has several acts left to run.

Ocko

To me the mistreatment is obvious and doesn't require me to be told a player to confirm that. My post was in reference to saying that the information isn't necessarily coming from the players but that to many like myself it is obvious and I most certainly haven't been told by a player.

My prediction is that the most normal thing that will happen is that some players will be released, some players that we would like to re-sign will come back and some will get better offers elsewhere and will leave. All perfectly normal and nothing that will explain things in such black and white terms as you predict to the average member of the fan base.

Mooney#16

Ocko said:
To me the mistreatment is obvious and doesn't require me to be told a player to confirm that. My post was in reference to saying that the information isn't necessarily coming from the players but that to many like myself it is obvious and I most certainly haven't been told by a player.
What would be the list of mis treatments then as to me mis treatment would be a contractual obligation not being met. Being released for a lack of performance or to upgrade a position or even due to budget constraints I would not consider mis treatment. That is pro sport in action.

Just for one. Conboy has been quoted a number of times. Alleged he was told he was going to be a franchise player and could potentially be here for years. But he got himself banned so many times be it his actions or Moray throwing the book at him how in gods green would you ever build a franchise around that guy. He had to go. That's not mis treatment. That's common sense. Conboy is a commodity. Yeah he might be ticked but for the Devils benefit he was disciplinary damaged goods. And I backed the guy but Moray chased him out the league not Brent.

I spoke on Blight but if he wasn't cost effective then you open yourself to being gassed. That's pro sports right there. Players get cut. Mis treatment. Not for me.

I mean in 24/7 a guy got traded in the warm up for the winter classic. His family and friends would have been there ready to watch him play and bang your no maple leaf. Off to Carolina with you. Are the Maple. Leafs a terrible organisation or are they making player moves for the longer term benefit of the club.

I reiterate I do not defend Ragan or Pope and they have made some stinkers. They deserved all the criticism under the sun for the G fiasco as they shows a real lack of class and respect to that guy but I also pull my hair out at this mis treatment thing as no one has quantified it and some things are just ridiculous exaggeration of run of the mill professional sports team management.

Paul Sullivan

Petercw said:
My prediction is that the most normal thing that will happen is that some players will be released, some players that we would like to re-sign will come back and some will get better offers elsewhere and will leave. All perfectly normal and nothing that will explain things in such black and white terms as you predict to the average member of the fan base.
As I said, we will know soon enough. Dave Whistle is the Rosetta Stone for the immediate future of this team however - of that I have no doubt.

But how will we know? Some will stay some will go, all that can be explained away in a pro sport that largely operates season at a time contracts. So how will 'all' be revealed by player movement?

Paul Sullivan

Mooney#16 said:
Just for one. Conboy has been quoted a number of times. Alleged he was told he was going to be a franchise player and could potentially be here for years. But he got himself banned so many times be it his actions or Moray throwing the book at him how in gods green would you ever build a franchise around that guy. He had to go. That's not mis treatment. That's common sense.
Hey Mooney. Very much enjoy reading your balanced input on threads here.
You are factually incorrect regarding Conboy though . He was publicly backed as remaining a Devil and offered a franchise player deal AFTER his suspension was announced. At a meeting he thought was to discuss further terms he was hijacked by an MD with a kitbag of his equipment and marching orders. They needed his apartment for Kurka.

He was also told that the reason for his release was that his team-mates had pressured our MD to release him as he was a liability. Total fabrication. Those same players arranged a hasty farewell party for him that evening.

This is similar (and not in any way accusing you of this) to the previous attempts at smearing the popularity of Blighter with insinuation. It's total BS.

I agree with you that pro sports is a tough world, however the truth about contractual obligations and in addition simple respect and honesty need to always be applied when dealing with professionals.

Not trying to get into - or looking for - an argument, but the Conboy incident being constantly mis-told and re-told simply because of a convenient (for the Club) ban is annoying. Appreciate you are not deliberately doing that.

Paul Sullivan

Petercw said:
But how will we know? Some will stay some will go, all that can be explained away in a pro sport that largely operates season at a time contracts. So how will 'all' be revealed by player movement?
Perhaps by the scale. Last time there was a wholesale clear out was 2001. There are similarities. Perhaps there may be more than one public 'exit interview'.

Perhaps the whole roster will beg to be re-signed.

KaneDevils

Hmm, I'm going to sleep on this and decide in the morning who to believe. I'm not that tired really, so will try counting trolls instead of sheep.

Sweet dreams.

Paul Sullivan

KaneDevils said:
Hmm, I'm going to sleep on this and decide in the morning who to believe. I'm not that tired really, so will try counting trolls instead of sheep.

Sweet dreams.
Another judgemental post with zero added to the debate. You enjoy picking holes and living under online bridges but rarely do I see you adding value to a thread. You seem to enjoy sniping and sarcasm more than facts and debate.

Do you have any facts that disprove my account? No. It's just easy to make a snide trolling remark and bug out.

Sleep tight.

Paul Sullivan

James said:
Please keep it civil and avoid trading insults. Thanks.
Apologies, thought I was still inside guidelines as I criticised the posting style, content of posts and consistent thread input of the poster. And to be fair he only implied I was a troll. Sort of.

James

Administrator
And telling someone they 'live under online bridges' isn't implying they are too? Still, apology accepted. As you say, time will tell in respect as to the mistreatment of players.

Mooney#16

Paul Sullivan said:
Mooney#16 said:
Just for one. Conboy has been quoted a number of times. Alleged he was told he was going to be a franchise player and could potentially be here for years. But he got himself banned so many times be it his actions or Moray throwing the book at him how in gods green would you ever build a franchise around that guy. He had to go. That's not mis treatment. That's common sense.
Hey Mooney. Very much enjoy reading your balanced input on threads here.
You are factually incorrect regarding Conboy though . He was publicly backed as remaining a Devil and offered a franchise player deal AFTER his suspension was announced. At a meeting he thought was to discuss further terms he was hijacked by an MD with a kitbag of his equipment and marching orders. They needed his apartment for Kurka.

He was also told that the reason for his release was that his team-mates had pressured our MD to release him as he was a liability. Total fabrication. Those same players arranged a hasty farewell party for him that evening.

This is similar (and not in any way accusing you of this) to the previous attempts at smearing the popularity of Blighter with insinuation. It's total BS.

I agree with you that pro sports is a tough world, however the truth about contractual obligations and in addition simple respect and honesty need to always be applied when dealing with professionals.

Not trying to get into - or looking for - an argument, but the Conboy incident being constantly mis-told and re-told simply because of a convenient (for the Club) ban is annoying. Appreciate you are not deliberately doing that.

Conboy was just doomed. As soon as Moray couldn't get him for the head butt he wanted to slaughter the guy at the next possible opportunity and after the Lino incident the bullets were in the gun ready. I think they dearly wanted him to be Vother and got caught up in that frenzy offering what for my opinion was a ridiculous deal. However. I have to give the GM of the Devils who ever that might be prerogative to change their mind and correct a duff strategy. For the better of the club. That deal had to be taken of the table. Conboy was done with this league. He had to be gassed. If they needed to move fast on Kurka then yes sadly Conboy had to shifted quickly. Moves happen quickly in the pros that's for sure and a club hindered by constraints of popular opinion renders itself at a self inflicted competitive disadvantage. Now there are personal ways of doing stuff which may of been below standard but the moves in all fairness if I put myself in Brent's shoes I struggle to see what I'd do different. This is where I sort of come of the fence. Call me crazy but most things that have occurred. I can usually see a hockey reasoning behind it that whilst not lending itself on a personal perspective to any given player involved has a bearing on the grander season and beyond. I would caveat this by saying Whistle has clearly galvanised the players more than both G and Brent had so Brent returning to the Bench next season should be off the table. He is and should remain GM.

The excuse of players speaking out against him. I'm in no position to comment. True false 50/50. I'm indifferent if I'm honest. I could never honestly stand behind an opinion on it and know it to be fact so it's a role of the dice you just have to live with. If you believe and trust what you have been told and stand behind it fair enough but at the same time if you were not present for any of the mentioned acts or conversations you are a secondary witness and as such these are not facts but opinion based on potential eye witness account. Pulling teeth I know but just representing that it is all then open to Chinese whisper and misinterpretation after that point so hence my stand point of being sat with a white picket thing up my posterior.

KaneDevils

You seem to enjoy sniping and sarcasm more than facts and debate.
And I should just believe everything you say in the name of facts right?
Or I could just post 'here say' like a lot of you?
The troll comment was sarcasm yes, after only the other night it was hinted, I was the only one on the forum. :shock:

Sorry Paul, I'm just a little bored of your constant swiping, but nobody must do it to you! Seems to me your just trying to brainwash. So yes, trying to smear a little humour over the backstabbing.

For the record, I'm with Mooney16

KaneDevils said:
You seem to enjoy sniping and sarcasm more than facts and debate.
And I should just believe everything you say in the name of facts right?
Or I could just post 'here say' like a lot of you?
The troll comment was sarcasm yes, after only the other night it was hinted, I was the only one on the forum. :shock:

Sorry Paul, I'm just a little bored of your constant swiping, but nobody must do it to you! Seems to me your just trying to brainwash. So yes, trying to smear a little humour over the backstabbing.

For the record, I'm with Mooney16
For me theTROLL comment aimed at Paul Sullivan was true and factual, unfortunately Paul hasn't recogognised this fact and still continues his own agenda to slag off the organisation at all opportunities FACT :geek:

Finny

I think some people need to learn what an internet troll is, and not just use it when they disagree with someone's opinion.

voth26

whilst im not a pr/bp fan I think the whole sorry arse situation has been done to death if im honest, time to look at the positives the guys have won 8/9 on the bounce, we have moved up the table, the team seem a LOT happier so lets just crack on and support OUR CARDIFF DEVILS

Status
Not open for further replies.