Booth and Devils part ways.

In recruiting Booth our thinking seemed to indicate a tandem this season. While it hasn't worked out with Booth and I echo others in wishing him the very best for the future, I would not want that mindset to change. I don't think a Brit netminder as they stand will fit the bill if we want to challenge for silverware.

Last edited:

MA18

Wonder if will kerlin wants to play for us again, a brit eihl experience with panthers..why not ?
Because it completely lacks ambition?

Bowns is having a great start to the season but I don’t think he’s as reliable as Besko - doubt we’ll find that quality or even being looking for it but I don’t think we win much this season with Bowns plus an average back up.

BostonBart22

Unfortunately it's all down to money I think Booth was cheaper than kozun ,who I might add was great for us, and now with alderson coming in who probably top 3 in pay ,Booth had to go, hence a brit will be a cheap option...just saying

The_Stick_

Unfortunately it's all down to money I think Booth was cheaper than kozun ,who I might add was great for us, and now with alderson coming in who probably top 3 in pay ,Booth had to go, hence a brit will be a cheap option...just saying
Personally feel Booth was a lot more expensive than Kozun

MA18

Never say never. Problem was he isn't a fan of bownsy after getting his name constantly rammed down his throat during his stay
I think it’s more the fact Bowns was signed on a long term contract while Mac was still playing very well and pulling in some good stats.
The owns clearly feels Bowns is the Devils, why would someone of Carruths quality share a role when he’s obviously enjoying Denmark as much as he is.

IMO we should move on from both Mac and Bowns - maybe we tried that with Booth.

moggy#9

Bowns is playing fantastically well this season, but it could easily have gone the other way. Any goalie, no matter how good, should expect to share duties to stay fresh. It was just a fact if life in the isl, and it's how it should be in the eihl.

Diablo3

Whatever the speculation we have the GB goal tending coach and the GB coach. They clearly though it wasn't a good fit, so came to an agreement with Booth. I hope he gets a long term spot somewhere to gain experience. For the Devils, I see us picking up a new nettie, Bownsy has been awesome so far this season, but he does need help so we avoid burnout.

The_Stick_

In regards to the GB bias, I don’t think Pete chose Bowns so frequently because of that. Booth would have been eligible to play for GB after 2 years, and I’m sure PR would of been hoping that he had found Bowns long term successor in Booth

Hockeymad

Tbh aslong as bowns is here we might as well say no to the title

Yes he won us majority of games over the years but we need two good goalies and we can't because bowns plays all the time.

So what's the point. Just sign an average back up and say bye to another title shall we.

Booth stats are awesome and still bowns got the nod.

Unbelievable

If I was a top goalie I wouldn't sign for us either.

Be wasting his time on the bench

Wannabe2

Tbh aslong as bowns is here we might as well say no to the title

Yes he won us majority of games over the years but we need two good goalies and we can't because bowns plays all the time.

So what's the point. Just sign an average back up and say bye to another title shall we.

Booth stats are awesome and still bowns got the nod.

Unbelievable

If I was a top goalie I wouldn't sign for us either.

Be wasting his time on the bench
If you were a top goalie, then believe me we wouldn’t want you,no team hoping to win silverware would want such a negative divvy on their squad like you. It’s bad enough reading your grubby remarks on here never mind paying good money to watch such a Moaner.

BostonBart22

At the end of the day wether he was gassed or left on his own free will, he's gone , that's life..and good luck to him, devils got something lined up since Booth stopped playing, probably sorting paperwork for the new nettie to come in..no doubt be in by weekend but not Wednesday game

Hockeymad

If you were a top goalie, then believe me we wouldn’t want you,no team hoping to win silverware would want such a negative divvy on their squad like you. It’s bad enough reading your grubby remarks on here never mind paying good money to watch such a Moaner.
Me moaning??? Well that's rich coming from you.

I'm simply saying if bowns starts every game like he always do. Then we might as well have you as a back up.

He's sooo over rated imo

If he was an import he wouldn't be in the devils team.

That's a fact

doron

the way i see it is
i thought Bowns was past his beast last season / but it may have been the couch and player in front of him that had a lot to do with it.
but this year he has been outstanding in goal. to-date.
booth looked ok but nothing special so far this season. and definitely not of the standard of Carruth. or kozun even
maybe he needed more games to get into the grove, but the facts are
carruth & kozun hit the ground running, carruth was like usain bolt in a class of his own.
If Bowns does play 80% of games then we may as well have a brit back up goalie. and give the kid a chance.

Kevlar68

I think IF we're relying on bowns for a whole season injury free and at 100% for every game then it's gonna be a tough season.
Our 2nd nettie would need to be at least on par with bowns to take half the load or to step in if injury occurs.
At the moment we're in a tricky position and neef to resolve it quickly BUT with a equally capable nettie.

doron

i think bowns is as good as any inport goalie, on his day he can be even better , and so far this season he has , id still have carruth thou

kettdevil1

The_Stick_

I think the vast majority of people on this forum are very thankful for what Bowns has done for our organisation, and saying he isn’t good enough to lead us to a league title is purely because he isn’t as good as he was 5/5 years ago when he backstopped us to back to back league titles. He is still a very capable netminder, but as with all sports age catches up with you and it is important to remember Ben physically cannot play a full 70 game season (including cups, playoffs etc) like he once has. Give us a very good goalie who can push for starts and we will be right in the mix.

As ever, I have faith that Todd and the Coaching staff have made the rignt decision and we have a gem on the plane