Brent Pope - new Devils MD

We needed an MD certainly. Hopefully it's a good move and I wish both lads every success.

What I hope it does is quash the rumour that G was to be sacked and give us some stability over the summer and beyond. Stability - just imagine.

Finny

So is Brent now the only employee working for the Devils (as Elson is presumably 100% DCF?).

Since Shannon left, the clubs attempts to appoint a Director Of Hockey/Operations Manager/Managing Director seem to be as cursed as the appointments for Defence Against the Dark Arts Teacher in Hogwarts.....

Wannabe2

Hopefully its just a managerial name change, and the coaching side will be left to G and Franny, where it should be. Too many cooks ain't a good move..

I think Francine is still with the club as well. Think this is a good move, it will mean both organisations will have 100% commitment from someone in a management role.

Koop11

I think the appointment of MD in principle if a wise move. Someone whose job is to run the club 100% is ideal. I’m not sure what the financial situation is to allow this appointment (none of my business) but if it’s within the means of the club’s budget then great.

Pope certainly has a lot of experience of the Cardiff Devils club so that will add value. I’m not sure what the ins and outs are for such a role so can’t really say for sure whether he’s the right person for the job. Does this effectively make Pope Gerad’s boss?

bluedevil said:
I think Francine is still with the club as well. Think this is a good move, it will mean both organisations will have 100% commitment from someone in a management role.
Good move for who though :?: You could look at it from another angle, as Mr Ragan putting some distance between himself and the Club when things go tits-up and those god awful Devils fans start complaining again ;)
Where's the popcorn smilie when you want it :)

davew

Good to have a hockey focused MD; surely that will have good benefits for the club.

Is he going to be as good as killer @ the O? Who knows, let's hope so as we all need a boost with all the disappointments that this season has thrown at us.

My only concerns relate to poper's commentating duties. With 2014 and Sochi less than a year away, has Brent hung up his mike to give his directorship the full time commitment the role will undoubtedly bring?

I think Brent will do a terrific job as will jamie elson as head of the dcf, but, jamie has to sort out something that Brent chose to ignore with the juniors and that is the favouritism that is rife with coaches and managers kids. We all pay the same amount in fees and the kids should be treated equally, these coaches( who in the main do a good job) should be held accountable for this favouritism as lots of youngsters are being lost to the game due to lack of game time etc. Its definately a case of if the face fits with the kids im afraid and a lot of kids are just losing interest and drifting away