Cam Janssen

Electro

danhall76 said:
It appears i must have misread your post then... unsure how though as I have reread and still come to the same conclusion. Maybe if I could read your tone of voice.
I get that, it was not my intention.

People have enjoyed watching people fight since the beginning of time. I enjoy watching mma as a martial artist. It is the purest form of unarmed combat in the world. If you don't like it fine, but don't disrespect an entire sport because you know nothing about it. Just because you can't wrap your head around people liking fighting does not mean it is not a significant draw, or that the people who do enjoy it are shameless, immoral or whatever your opinion might be.
Should we bring back gladiators and hangings then.

Is there not, as you being a martial artist, a difference between watching martial arts compared to a hockey fight. I know mixed martial arts guys like MMA, but many purists have a disregard for that as a sport.

For me the difference in hockey to martial arts is one being a combination of skills in a controlled manner to defeat an opponent as apposed to the other using no more skill than a street fight with the intent of causing harm.

jimmy snels

Exactly a REDUCTION in fighting. There's still hundreds!! Mainly from skilled players not out right goons. Your stat is misleading. Until there is a complete ban you can not judge these numbers. Asked my team in work yesterday as a bit of an experiment " fancy catching a hockey game next year gang?" The replies focused solely on the physical aspects. To get a newbie to watch in a country full of winter sports already it needs to be different

Ibbz9

jimmy snels said:
Exactly a REDUCTION in fighting. There's still hundreds!! Mainly from skilled players not out right goons. Your stat is misleading. Until there is a complete ban you can not judge these numbers. Asked my team in work yesterday as a bit of an experiment " fancy catching a hockey game next year gang?" The replies focused solely on the physical aspects. To get a newbie to watch in a country full of winter sports already it needs to be different
The stat is not misleading. Since 2008, fighting was at a level of almost 1 per game. It is now down to 1 every 3 games. The fall has coincided with the reduction of playing time for enforcers. Over that 7/8 year period crowd levels have slightly increased. The evidence proves that fighting has little bearing of crowd figures. On the flip side, you may have newbies that do not go to games because of fighting. There is an arguement for that.

As I said earlier, the enforcer role is dying. There will always be fights but the top league is seeing less and less of them.

pjj365

I totally agree fighting brings in the newbies but what is a newby

A friend of mine is not quite a newby as he lived in Canada a while back and loved NHL and the fights. On the basis that there were occadional fights I got him along to a game. He brought his boss who had never been to a game.

There were no fights - plenty of hits and some roughing. My friend was dissapointed and has not been back. His boss is now a ST holder

This very limited sample bears out the stability/improvement in current NHL attendances and I know which newby our, and other clubs, need to attract