Cardiff Devils Confirmed Signings & Departures 2023/24

E.D.S.

Anyone suggesting that Fournier came here as the finished article is quite simply wrong.

Does this forum go back to the summer of 2016?

If so, I think you’ll find that the fans were very much split 50/50 on re-signing Fournier. He was exciting with the puck going forward but he was also making A LOT of mistakes defensively.

But Lordo dId re-sign him. He also that summer signed a certain Mark Louis. Lordo worked with Fourns, paired him with Louis and over the following seasons Fournier gradually became the best Dman in the league.

Fournier benefitted from the fact we had Hotham and Richardson as our 1st line D. He had time to learn and develop on the second line.

For a 25 year old I thought Crawford did very well for his first season in the EIHL. If we can stick him with someone who’s more defensively sound and reliable than Thompson was I think he will improve even more.
He still isn’t for me but a great debate though.
Amazing what happens on here when the sensible folk come out and offer a reasoned argument. We don’t all have to agree.
Thanks all.

ASHIPP

For all the criticism Matt Register got about being a little slow, older, how I, along with many others, wish he was still on our team. One of the highest hockey I.Q. defencemen I have seen in the EIHL era. A game changer, an influencer, a winner.

And for anyone who still thinks he was little slow, older, he was one of the top defencemen in the ECHL last season, and one of the top point scoring defencemen too.
He was an excellent partnership with Richie here and at one point, there was talk of him returning last season but it didn't happen. A player now in his prime......our loss.

moggy#9

For all the criticism Matt Register got about being a little slow, older, how I, along with many others, wish he was still on our team. One of the highest hockey I.Q. defencemen I have seen in the EIHL era. A game changer, an influencer, a winner.

And for anyone who still thinks he was little slow, older, he was one of the top defencemen in the ECHL last season, and one of the top point scoring defencemen too.
He was an excellent partnership with Richie here and at one point, there was talk of him returning last season but it didn't happen. A player now in his prime......our loss.
My main criticism of register was his tendancy to make very high risk passes which resulted in high probability scoring opportunities. No denying his ability to carry the puck and make plays though.

MA18

My main criticism of register was his tendancy to make very high risk passes which resulted in high probability scoring opportunities. No denying his ability to carry the puck and make plays though.
On the flip side of that he completed many more long tape to tape passes that created space and allowed for counter attacks.

moggy#9

On the flip side of that he completed many more long tape to tape passes that created space and allowed for counter attacks.
That might be true, but the fact that we relied so heavily on long stretch passes as a tactic, was in my opinion a problem in itself. Also, let's not forget the number of times that he, as the last man, tried to dangle by an opponent and got caught out.

MA18

That might be true, but the fact that we relied so heavily on long stretch passes as a tactic, was in my opinion a problem in itself. Also, let's not forget the number of times that he, as the last man, tried to dangle by an opponent and got caught out.
You can’t blame him for implementing a poor game plan well.
Maybe so with getting caught short a few times but I’d have taken him over at least 3 of our other D last season.

Wannabe2

You can’t blame him for implementing a poor game plan well.
Maybe so with getting caught short a few times but I’d have taken him over at least 3 of our other D last season.
I would have taken him over all our D last season except Ritchie, the rest were truly lousy.

hip check

Absolutely agree with these sentiments.

Gavevs88

Couldn't agree more with this, Register was really good in my opinion.

Finny

Looks like it will be a double-announcement tonight.

Maybe either
Bowns and new netminder
Mosey and Duggan
Two returning brits

Kevlar68

See Bowns isn't really a signing as on a contract from last season so he's already signed.
NewPlayerAlert which the wording suggests singular so i then deduce the other will be a returnee if it's a double announcement.