Cardiff Devils Confirmed Signings & Departures 2023/24

kristian

I think Davies and Batch will be back. Both have something still to offer. I do think that Batch was playing under a cloud last season he seemed nervous and no confidence maybe the coach had a hand in that.

moggy#9

So is the suggestion that we'd go with an import less to accommodate an extra Brit, or that we scratch a Brit each game in the same way the we do with a spare import? I'd certainly think that if we go down to 5 Brits it would be batch who would be most vulnerable.

moggy#9

Think we go the same as last season 6brits and 14 imports.
Reading another thread it sounds like that is the structure devils voted for.
That might be what the club voted for, but once the decision is made by the league, why would we handicap ourselves relative to the other clubs? In terms of performance there's no comparison between the remaining unsigned Brits and an import.

pjj365

While we may have voted to keep with 6 Brits, I would hope that we would not put ourselves at a disadvantage to stand on principle. I hope we go for that extra import.
As I've said in another thread
A Brit pack who've held their own internationally + known quantity import returnees + some new faces does not automatically place us at a disadvantage

moggy#9

As I've said in another thread
A Brit pack who've held their own internationally + known quantity import returnees + some new faces does not automatically place us at a disadvantage
After batch's performances last season, you're seriously putting him on the same level as an import defenseman? I'm sorry, I strongly disagree and think that it's pragmatism not sentiment that wins trophies.

Have Hope#35

Do wonder with the extra import means 1 less Brit, I think with the likes of Nottingham losing tetlow and betteridge last season and Myers going I wouldn't be surprised if Davies goes there.
In Duggan's interview video he talks about his role on the Penalty Kill and how he's looking forward to carrying on that role with Benny D next season. Sounds like that's him back then!? I have a feeling we may go with 6 Brits...

Last edited:

Have Hope#35

After batch's performances last season, you're seriously putting him on the same level as an import defenseman? I'm sorry, I strongly disagree and think that it's pragmatism not sentiment that wins trophies.
He was the season before when he was Defenceman of the year, who's to say he can't get back to that form? We don't know what happened to him last year but if Russell thinks he can get him back to his best I think it's a no brainer for the third defensive pairing.

moggy#9

He was the season before when he was Defenceman of the year, who's to say he can't get back to that form? We don't know what happened to him last year but if Russell thinks he can get him back to his best I think it's a no brainer for the third defensive pairing.
This to me seems to be the same argument that originally happened around Crandall. Yes, it's possible he might come good. If we were comparing him against some other Brits, I could accept that. What's being suggested though is that he'll go from a very poor season, even for a Brit, to performing at import level. I just don't get that. Personally I prefer to limit uncertainty.

Similar arguments could be had around Ben Davies. Yes, very high quality for a Brit, but if we want to increase our face off wins, there's an argument to go in another direction.

Have Hope#35

This to me seems to be the same argument that originally happened around Crandall. Yes, it's possible he might come good. If we were comparing him against some other Brits, I could accept that. What's being suggested though is that he'll go from a very poor season, even for a Brit, to performing at import level. I just don't get that. Personally I prefer to limit uncertainty.

Similar arguments could be had around Ben Davies. Yes, very high quality for a Brit, but if we want to increase our face off wins, there's an argument to go in another direction.
But isn't that the point... Imports have had dips in form for a season or two and then come back good whilst fans were calling for their head! It could relate to systems not suiting them or carrying knocks we don't know about? I'm not saying we blindly throw him a new contract out of loyalty but we owe it to him to try and identify the issue from last season and see if we can get him to return to the form he was in.

kingmo19.1

I wouldn’t get too hung up on this Brits and Imports scenario. Let’s be honest, I’d take Waller over 60% of the imports in the league, closer to home, just compare his stats v Penny or Brittain from last season! Also Bowns was statistically better than a number of import goalies.

So imports doesn’t necessarily imply they are better than Brits all of the time.

Finny

So is the suggestion that we'd go with an import less to accommodate an extra Brit, or that we scratch a Brit each game in the same way the we do with a spare import? I'd certainly think that if we go down to 5 Brits it would be batch who would be most vulnerable.
My view is that we start the season with 15 imports and 6 brits. That gives us one spare a game.
It doesn't have to be a Brit we rest. It could be an import who is injured or carrying an injury that could do with some recovery. Or maybe they had a poor game and deserve to be dropped.

moggy#9

But isn't that the point... Imports have had dips in form for a season or two and then come back good whilst fans were calling for their head! It could relate to systems not suiting them or carrying knocks we don't know about? I'm not saying we blindly throw him a new contract out of loyalty but we owe it to him to try and identify the issue from last season and see if we can get him to return to the form he was in.
I have some sympathy with that argument but, on the face of it at least, going with one import less than everyone else would appear to put us at a disadvantage to everyone else. If however we choose to carry a spare (assuming that we do the same with imports), so that we can always run 4 lines, that's a different matter.

pjj365

I'm not touting any one player but looking at how import limit could work out with the right mix of Brits

BostonBart22

I wouldn’t get too hung up on this Brits and Imports scenario. Let’s be honest, I’d take Waller over 60% of the imports in the league, closer to home, just compare his stats v Penny or Brittain from last season! Also Bowns was statistically better than a number of import goalies.

So imports doesn’t necessarily imply they are better than Brits all of the time.
I would class richie an import the effort he puts in week in week out and better than some of out D imports we had in the past and 1 of them just joined blaze, batch had a mare last season so let's hope PR had a good chat with batch and tell him to knuckle down this season otherwise he could well be out. Can't carry underperfoming players anymore..

Swarley

I would class richie an import the effort he puts in week in week out and better than some of out D imports we had in the past and 1 of them just joined blaze, batch had a mare last season so let's hope PR had a good chat with batch and tell him to knuckle down this season otherwise he could well be out. Can't carry underperfoming players anymore..
I was a fan of Batch for years but I feel the last 2 seasons his awareness and effort hit a rock bottom with last season being the absolute rock bottom, now it could be a few things that caused this, coaching not really up to par with what he was use to, lack of adapting to a new coaching style, off ice issues knocking his confidence or something else.

Nothing would make me happier to eat crow if batch is signed and goes on to have an absolute beast of a season and goes back to his old ways of playing tough and getting stuck in when needed.

But I do feel he won't be top of Pete Russells list of ones he wants back and I wouldn't blame him for dropping batch if he saw how it was last season.

BostonBart22

I was a fan of Batch for years but I feel the last 2 seasons his awareness and effort hit a rock bottom with last season being the absolute rock bottom, now it could be a few things that caused this, coaching not really up to par with what he was use to, lack of adapting to a new coaching style, off ice issues knocking his confidence or something else.

Nothing would make me happier to eat crow if batch is signed and goes on to have an absolute beast of a season and goes back to his old ways of playing tough and getting stuck in when needed.

But I do feel he won't be top of Pete Russells list of ones he wants back and I wouldn't blame him for dropping batch if he saw how it was last season.
Hence not being picked for GB bt PR.. twice I believe in 3 yrs.

august04 2.0

I think Batch is in the last chance saloon. If he doesn’t significantly up his game and effort levels this coming year, I’m pretty sure it will be his last. Let’s see what happens!