Cardiff Devils Confirmed Signings & Departures 2023/24

I am looking at this as a good sign in that PR is looking for a higher quality player.
If he settles for the same or lower quality then he might as well kept Kozun.
This is unless Taran has initiated the move himself with the promise of more starts or more money at Coventry.
Good luck for the future TK (Maybe these is only room enough for one TK in the organisation!!)

Finny

I’ve said before but at no point in the two years with us did Kozun look like he could be a No 1 netminder for us. Good luck to Kozun (except against us). As Bkaze have signed a youngster as their second import netminder it looks like he’s going to get his chance as #1 netminder and it will be interesting to see Blaze fans opinion on him.

august04 2.0

I’ve said before but at no point in the two years with us did Kozun look like he could be a No 1 netminder for us. Good luck to Kozun (except against us). As Bkaze have signed a youngster as their second import netminder it looks like he’s going to get his chance as #1 netminder and it will be interesting to see Blaze fans opinion on him.
I think Kozun is at a similar level to most goalies in the EIHL, as his stats (and performances) show over the past couple of years and I hope he gets the game time necessary to really prove himself as a starting netminder in this league. Is he at the level of say Carruth or more pertinent to this league nowadays, Besko? No, clearly not. My concern, is that to win this league, we will need a goalie of the same calibre as Besko. Bowns is just not at that level either. If we recruit such a goalie, then happy days but if not, and we're relying on Bowns to carry the load, we will not be in a position to win the league next year. It’s the most important position and our overall netminding capabilities have to improve next year on last year, which now means an upgrade on Kozun.

osh

Jamie Arneil ? Lots raving about this signing, not the power forward I was expecting and slightly disappointing that he has obviously been signed as a 1st line centre.

jenks33

Jamie Arneil ? Lots raving about this signing, not the power forward I was expecting and slightly disappointing that he has obviously been signed as a 1st line centre.
The quality of signings around the league isn’t where it was pre-covid so this is a very good signing. If you’re not happy with this signing (on paper) then you’ll never be happy.

Last edited:

osh

The quality of signings around the league isn’t where it was pre-covid. This is a good signing though. If you’re not happy with this signing (on paper) then you’ll never be happy.
The quality of signings around the league isn’t where it was pre-covid. This is a good signing though. If you’re not happy with this signing (on paper) then you’ll never be happy.
Don’t misquote me…I didn’t say I was unhappy with the signing, but simply stating that he isn’t the type of player I see as our number 1 centre. If you are happy, so be it. as the signings are announced, I’ll be sure to let you know when I am happy though.

Kevlar68

The quality of signings around the league isn’t where it was pre-covid .
Totally agree. I think there is the odd exception but since the lack of revenue during Covid belts have tightened in the EIHL for higher wages. The EIHL aren't really a league for high end wages unlike other European leagues so pickings will be thin on the ground. We'll be looking at young inexperienced or towards end of career who can still do a job, that player in between will be out of our league in my opinion.

jenks33

Don’t misquote me…I didn’t say I was unhappy with the signing, but simply stating that he isn’t the type of player I see as our number 1 centre. If you are happy, so be it. as the signings are announced, I’ll be sure to let you know when I am happy though.
You said it’s disappointing that he’s been signed as our first line centre, right? I’m saying the quality of signings around the league aren’t what they were maybe 4/5/6 years ago. So if you’re not happy with him as our first line centre then I’m not sure you’ve been paying much attention to EIHL recruitment post covid. Gone are the days where we were disappointed if we signed a player with no NHL experience. Look back to when we signed Ben Blood? There was genuine disappointment that we had signed an import D man with no NHL experience, even tho he had played about 100 AHL games and 150 Liiga games. Times have changed

osh

You said it’s disappointing that he’s been signed as our first line centre, right? I’m saying the quality of signings around the league aren’t what they were maybe 4/5/6 years ago. So if you’re not happy with him as our first line centre then I’m not sure you’ve been paying much attention to EIHL recruitment post covid. Gone are the days where we were disappointed if we signed a player with no NHL experience. Look back to when we signed Ben Blood? There was genuine disappointment that we had signed an import D man with no NHL experience, even tho he had played about 100 AHL games and 150 Liiga games. Times have changed
For what it’s worth, I have to correct you. let me assure you that I pay as much attention to EIHL signings as anyone. Covid has been and gone ( thankfully ) and therefore in order to move on and play in a style that suits our name, I am not overtly impressed with the fact that Arneil will be our first line centre ( hope to be proven wrong of course ) Now, that is my opinion which you disagree with which I respect. However, your sarcastic comments as to my attention to detail and ‘happiness’ I can well do without. As for Ben Blood, wasn’t in the same class as either of the Hothams in my opinion.

ASHIPP

I think Kozun is at a similar level to most goalies in the EIHL, as his stats (and performances) show over the past couple of years and I hope he gets the game time necessary to really prove himself as a starting netminder in this league. Is he at the level of say Carruth or more pertinent to this league nowadays, Besko? No, clearly not. My concern, is that to win this league, we will need a goalie of the same calibre as Besko. Bowns is just not at that level either. If we recruit such a goalie, then happy days but if not, and we're relying on Bowns to carry the load, we will not be in a position to win the league next year. It’s the most important position and our overall netminding capabilities have to improve next year on last year, which now means an upgrade on Kozun.
We simply don't know at all whether the club will be in a position or not to win the league next season. How can we possibly guess....we don't know the full rosters of any of the teams, a puck hasn't been dropped.

What is clear is that an upgrade on our defensive capabilities and the return of Lordo's 'team defence first' accountabilities are absolutely required to give support to whoever our goalies are going to be.

The old adage that long haul competitions are won with an excellent defence probably is true....the goalie cannot and should not be expected to shoulder all of that on his own.

Once in a while an exceptional goalie does get signed to this league but it's very rare.Besko is the current one. But Giants have been beaten by other teams and he is not invincible.

Like others I am hoping for a very strong goalie partnership this coming season. Bownsey is the kind of goalie who builds his confidence by playing for long spells of games. As he grows in confidence, his performance becomes better.

Last year's disappointing season was as a result of so many different factors...a weak strategy/execution from some of our defencemen and a lack of team accountability for defence were two repeated failings.

Bownsey might not be at the peak of his performances of 4 years ago....but he played a massive part in Team GB's recent gold medal promotion (best goalie in the tournament) Devils' runner up performance in the Continental Cup, and a Playoff final spot in the League. He's still got something.

Last edited:

moggy#9

For what it’s worth, I have to correct you. let me assure you that I pay as much attention to EIHL signings as anyone. Covid has been and gone ( thankfully ) and therefore in order to move on and play in a style that suits our name, I am not overtly impressed with the fact that Arneil will be our first line centre ( hope to be proven wrong of course ) Now, that is my opinion which you disagree with which I respect. However, your sarcastic comments as to my attention to detail and ‘happiness’ I can well do without. As for Ben Blood, wasn’t in the same class as either of the Hothams in my opinion.
I think that's a bit harsh on Ben blood. He was a very good shut down defenseman as illustrated by his career either side of his short stay with the devils. Unfortunately stay at home defensemen seem to be under valued generally both in this league and elsewhere.

lloyd_jeff

It’s difficult to understand player performance as a lot of factors can play a role, like injuries, pressure to perform and inexperience in a new country & league. In the case of Kozun he was never going to compete with Carruth at that point in his career. Could he be as good, who knows, last season he needed to perform and did to an extent, it’s made difficult when your coach is a rookie (I’m being diplomatic, my opinion far more insulting) so keeping momentum & confidence when you’ve shut out to then be benched for a fan favourite is a little demoralising. I wouldn’t be surprised if Kozun wanted out and frankly didn’t give 100%, l wouldn’t blame him, last yr was, frankly embarrassing given the potential & ambitions of the owners.
As for our new guy, described on Prospects as “Lacks in size and strength, but doesn't shy away from physical contact” he may not be our 1st line C, at 33yrs old I’d be using him on 2nd with a better, bigger & younger 5. Again who knows, so many ex NHL‘ers have come the U.K. & tanked, so I’d give everyone a chance to show their skills before deciding their abilities. He could be great, equally he could bail before arriving or play terrible, what the club needs to change is the ethos of keeping underperforming players.

Last edited:

Pleximan

He is replaceable, but I'm sorry to see him go and wish him the best. I do think we've let the wrong one go though. I do hope we have an absolute stud of a goalie incoming.
For me I would like to see a premier import netminder come in and take the starter job, Bowns would then be backup which makes Kozun expendable. That's tough in him but for me necessary transactions to improve the backend.

Pleximan

Bang on!

Swarley

One of the nicest guys in hockey I've ever met, chatted a fair bit with him during lock down when he was in Slovakia playing and got to know him a little bit, knew that he was leaving but for obvious reasons it wasn't for me to say he was leaving.

Hopefully this doesn't mean other clubs will take full advantage of the fact the club just lost its last enforcer.

MA18

One of the nicest guys in hockey I've ever met, chatted a fair bit with him during lock down when he was in Slovakia playing and got to know him a little bit, knew that he was leaving but for obvious reasons it wasn't for me to say he was leaving.

Hopefully this doesn't mean other clubs will take full advantage of the fact the club just lost its last enforcer.
Could tell by the way he was taking in all in after the last few home games that he wouldn’t be back this season.
Sad to see him go.