Cardiff Devils Confirmed Signings & Departures 2023/24

AJ73

Wonder where this leaves Davies - are we still rolling with 6 Brits despite change in league rules?

Interesting quote from PR that we will see Batch with a more bite in his game - something that I think he lacked last year personally - seems to play better with a chip on his shoulder for me.

Kevlar68

He signed a. 4 year contract supposedly so I think he's still here if correct so no announcement needed really, as it's not a signing.

Gobsmacked Batch is back, he had a shocking season last year, bullied off the puck, huge hits against him and didn't look like he cared. Défense was all over the place, The fact he got dropped in the 1st period in one game says it all because he was so bad. Lets hope Russell can sort out the failures from last year! Happy if he looked like he cared and gave 100% but last year just didn't look like it

Sorry, don't get the logic behind this re-signing. With the 5 Brit rule give me Davies over Batch any day, and out of the two, Louis or Batch unless there are other reasons behind his departure you keep big Lou,.
Batch needs to step up this season as his form last season fell off a cliff

Swarley

I'm shocked and surprised he's been kept on, I'm the furthest thing from a Batch fan but if anyone can get him to wake up and see how crap he's been and get the fire back in his belly it's gotta be PR surely? If he's giving more of the same from last season I can't see PR keeping him on it would be pointless.

Finny

Personally I'm pleased that Batch is back. He's been a loyal servant to us and only 12 months ago he had been voted the best Dman on the team.
For whatever reason last year he wasn't able to replicate that form. But it saddens me to see fans calling for him to be released after 1 bad season in over a decade.

It's funny. People are very critical of the coaching last year but don't seem to want to blame it for being the reason any player had a poor season.

ASHIPP

I would imagine Ben Davies will get his own announcement soon. He deserves it. This young man is instrumental on the PK for Devils and is impossible to play against. He, Sam Duggan and Riley Brandt formed our most energetic and entertaining line last year.

Would imagine we will play 6 Brits this year (like last year) and one less import to start....with potential to make changes during the season.

Swarley

Personally I'm pleased that Batch is back. He's been a loyal servant to us and only 12 months ago he had been voted the best Dman on the team.
For whatever reason last year he wasn't able to replicate that form. But it saddens me to see fans calling for him to be released after 1 bad season in over a decade.

It's funny. People are very critical of the coaching last year but don't seem to want to blame it for being the reason any player had a poor season.
I don't lay the blame purely on Batch but he's a seasoned player who should of stepped up and been a driving force to correct duponts mistakes, instead he was bullied all over the ice and turned away when things got heated at times.

If he's giving more of the same from last season you can't blame fans for not being overly happy he's back but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and see if Russell can get him back to being the big menace he use to be.

Finny

Has anyone noticed in the batch interview that there is a sponsorship above the Cardiff devils logo on his shirt which has been blurred out
I think we recently announced a new kit supplier?
In which case I'm guessing it is an old t-shirt with the old supplier on that wasn't spotted until after filming?

I’m with finny on this one, yes he’s had an off season but the player from the season before must be still in there and PR is possibly the right guy to bring him back.
Nobody knows how much of a negative influence (if at all) DuPonts coaching might have had on players.
Interesting to read PR say Batch will play best next to a puck moving defenceman.
I may be wrong but I’d say he played with Lou most of Lou’s time here? Possibly Fourniers 1st season he was paired with Lou?
PR certainly has a different idea of how to play Batch