Cardiff Devils Confirmed Signings & Departures 2023/24

MA18

He’s done well to get another contract.
I know his wife helps out a lot behind the scenes and on match nights so they obviously get on with the club and that’s helped.
Made it hard not to resign him (them).

Little bit underwhelmed by that.

Rempel16

That's the first signing that we have made that I'm really disappointed in....

Too lazy for me, he has a LOT to prove.

And I am very concerned about team toughness now. Crandall noticeably got bullied by Ben O'Connor in games against the Flames (not sure if something went on there during his Cardiff time?).

It's crazy how the optimism and hope for a season can be changed by just one signing.

lloyd_jeff

If that’s a PR choice I’ll eat a Rhino shirt, my fear is that these signings aren’t coaches choices based on skill, potential & team dynamics, that they’re managements. If that’s the case, PR might be gone by Christmas…..along with a large % of supporters.

tim78

If you think having Crandal and Barrow alternating those lines, theres a better chance of them finding form. I think it might be a real good mix.

If that’s a PR choice I’ll eat a Rhino shirt, my fear is that these signings aren’t coaches choices based on skill, potential & team dynamics, that they’re managements. If that’s the case, PR might be gone by Christmas…..along with a large % of supporters.
He had to be on the 2 year contract like batch

Diablo3

We all know he can play, I think he suffered last year from the lines being messed around. Towards the end of the season I thought he played well. He just got married and from his interview sounds like he is raring to go. For me he is a good signing.

moggy#9

That's the first signing that we have made that I'm really disappointed in....

Too lazy for me, he has a LOT to prove.

And I am very concerned about team toughness now. Crandall noticeably got bullied by Ben O'Connor in games against the Flames (not sure if something went on there during his Cardiff time?).

It's crazy how the optimism and hope for a season can be changed by just one signing.
Not just that, but I'm worried about the poor attitude he showed last season rubbing off on others. He should have gone the way of Reid and Dupont.

I'd like to think that if he doesn't show up in games, we'd be rid if him by October, but we know full well we're stuck with him, come hell or high water, for the whole year.

Diablo3

Seriously??? Not sure what you are smoking but it's not good for you.

Trying to stay positive as I knew about this signing a couple of weeks ago, hopefully PR can the best out of him on the 3rd line with Busch playing through the middle and driving the net, something a ‘set up’ man like Crandall desperately needs (and didn’t get with Reid last year) to get back to his first seasons performance and ,points tally.
Time will tell!

moggy#9

We all know he can play, I think he suffered last year from the lines being messed around. Towards the end of the season I thought he played well. He just got married and from his interview sounds like he is raring to go. For me he is a good signing.
For me the mixed lines argument doesn't hold water. He and Reid were given extensive ice time due to Dupont shortening the lines. He just didn't seem interested.

lloyd_jeff

Seriously??? Not sure what you are smoking but it's not good for you.
Seriously, PR isn’t going to waste his time on a team/club he can’t succeed with, maybe Crandall will turn up, maybe every lazy player who couldn’t be bothered to do basics right was DuPont’s fault. Maybe I’m completely wrong and we will lift trophies next season. We will soon find out.

moggy#9

The quote of the article for me is "every team he has played on produces offensively". Hmmm. That would be why our pp featuring him and Reid was so effective then... Oh wait.

Slartibartfast

Utilising my nerdy 'points per game last season spreadsheet' Crandall would be the top points scorer on the third line joining Waller and Busch.
Although Crandall was 0.67 pts per game last season, in most seasons he has been around the 0.8 to 0.9 and lets not forget that he was over a point per game setting up Reid in his first season.

I felt that Crandall worked hard most of last season but it just didn't work out for him and his effort did seem to slump towards the end. The chemistry on the second and third line was awful whatever mixture Dupont tried. Was it down to the players, recruitment or Dupont we will never know.
But while Im not over excited about him coming back I do understand why he is being giving another chance. Last hope it click for him this season.

Devils86

I was surprised that he's been retained and no mention that it's a second year of a two year deal - like we had with the Batch announcement. So sounds like he's impressed PR to be given another chance. The signing interview is honest and I would recommend people watch it (on the Devils site).

Let's hope he's the hungry, first season Crandall and not last season's version - which he says in his interview was his worst season in his career

Last edited:

The_Stick_

The quote of the article for me is "every team he has played on produces offensively". Hmmm. That would be why our pp featuring him and Reid was so effective then... Oh wait.
Even though I am very disappointed in the signing, I don’t think that statement is false. Just under a 0.9 PPG in league and cup competion, and has been around a PPG for most of his pro career.

That is now 2 signings that have disappointed me. With the expected signing of Mosey, that will take me to 3! In his first season I loved watching Crandell play but I didn't last year. Yes lines were juggled, coaching issues etc, but other players still put in the effort. It might well have been the worst season in his career, for whatever reason that was, but for me he just seemed to be phoning it in and his body language showed disinterest. I hope he proves me wrong. Trying to get excited about next season, still hoping for a nice surprise . Time will tell!!!

Finny

Must admit when I heard the rumour Crandall was back I was shocked. I’m not going to lie, he was near the top of my list for players I didn’t want back.
Which in itself was a shock as 12 months ago he was the player I was most delighted we had re-signed. In that first season with us he was arguably one of the most intelligent players we’d ever signed. I was convinced we wouldn’t be able to hang onto him and then gobsmacked that we did

And yet last season it just didn’t work for him. He had games where it looked like he was going to kick back in, but then never did.

If we get the 1st season Crandall back then this is a brilliant signing. If we get the 2nd season Crandall back I hope other players are given the chance to fight for his spot.

But I guess it means one way or another that we now have a very good 3rd line.