Cardiff Devils Confirmed Signings & Departures 2023/24

august04 2.0

All good, Diablo. I'm just pleased that we've set the bar so high that our fans are now pissed off when we sign a guy that's been a point a game in the ECHL, Denmark and the Allsvenskan that could be playing on our third line!!! Roll on, hockey season!
I’d be very disappointed if he was a top 6 forward next season.

I’d be very disappointed if he was a top 6 forward next season.
I wouldn't be, because he would have to show PR that he is worth it. Crandall firing on all cylinders is a wonderful prospect. And a terrifying one for a third line... how many teams can show that depth?

Hes got a lot to prove, but he's not the only one. Onwards and upwards.

A little toughness is definitely still required, so let's wait and see what comes.

Crandall during Season 1 (as many have alluded to) was unplayable at times. Under Pete Russell he will be reinvented, hungry, focussed, purpose driven and tenacious. There were clear signs of frustration last year and that was telling, but this year we are going to see a revived Justin Crandall I have no doubt - I for one look forward to him proving doubters wrong!!

Devil94

If PR thinks he can get Crandall back to what we know he can do, then that's good enough for me. Exciting too, as in his first year he was the best player we had I thought. Obviously well liked in the room too which is hugely important.
I think looking at the lines he naturally fits on the 2nd with Ully and Arniel. Two dangerous players and with Crandall likely to go point a game with those two then it's looking promising.
Will be good personal competition with Barrow too, who now the the forwards are complete I think is better suited to start on the 3rd.

E.D.S.

All good, Diablo. I'm just pleased that we've set the bar so high that our fans are now pissed off when we sign a guy that's been a point a game in the ECHL, Denmark and the Allsvenskan that could be playing on our third line!!! Roll on, hockey season!
We know he's got it in him to be the player of the season. PR might bring that player back and if he does.... look out!

Wannabe2

In fairness Crandall of 2 seasons ago was a pure joy to watch, I concentrated on him in some games and he was real class. Last season obviously was a different cup of tea, we had a pretty lousy team with no direction, we appeared to lack passion and that spread throughout the team unfortunately, and only a handful of players came thru it with any respect, and sadly Justin wasn’t one of them. In fairness not many players could shine when surrounded by poor team mates, and a coaching team that could have been replaced with cardboard cutouts and no one would have known the difference. Crandall wouldn’t have been a returnee for me, but people far wiser and far more professional than me disagree, and that’s fine because if we get the player that Crandall can be, then bringing him back will be a very good call indeed. I really enjoyed his interview, he was very honest, good players know when they are having a lousy time, and not producing but we ain’t bringing a poor player back far from it. I have faith in our coach, and we have a club that know they cocked up last season, but hopefully will be better for it. So time will tell folks, I still live in hope 2 new faces will appear along with Petrioni or however you spell it.

Last edited:

jenks33

So much negativity on here regarding Crandall. Admittedly last season he was poor and he's admitted that himself. But let's be honest 90% of the roster was poor last year. Season 1 Crandall was unplayable at times. If PR can get him back to that level then he's a very good player to have back!!
When you're a title contender and you finish 4th that means there are clearly players on that roster that need to move on. I think we've got rid of 5 or 6 obvious candidates and Crandall should have been on that list.

I've got no doubts he will be better next season because he will be playing for a better coach and he will have plenty of motivation after last season. That still doesn't make it the right decision in my book as i would have backed PR to replace Crandall with another good player and a player with a better attitude.

If people are happy with the return of Crandall then fair enough as he was impressive in his first season but i also don't think the negativity should be criticised. It's hard to stomach when a first line player who is/was no doubt highly paid showed as little interest as Crandall did last season.

When you're a title contender and you finish 4th that means there are clearly players on that roster that need to move on. I think we've got rid of 5 or 6 obvious candidates and Crandall should have been on that list.

I've got no doubts he will be better next season because he will be playing for a better coach and he will have plenty of motivation after last season. That still doesn't make it the right decision in my book as i would have backed PR to replace Crandall with another good player and a player with a better attitude.

If people are happy with the return of Crandall then fair enough as he was impressive in his first season but i also don't think the negativity should be criticised. It's hard to stomach when a first line player who is/was no doubt highly paid showed as little interest as Crandall did last season.
That’s fair enough, but in my opinion I felt Crandall was left ‘frustrated’ and ‘Irritated’ by the chopping and changing of his lines rather than not showing ‘interest’. I believe Crandall is very interested and invested in the Cardiff Devils, and that’s why he was getting frustrated as he wants to be success here and for the team to be successful. As John Donavan mentioned in his interview, Crandall ran the show up in Belfast nearer the end of the year, not many players can do that - especially players that are not interested.

RedDevil17

You forgot to mention our abysmal showing in the challenge cup as well jenks!

jenks33

That’s fair enough, but in my opinion I felt Crandall was left ‘frustrated’ and ‘Irritated’ by the chopping and changing of his lines rather than not showing ‘interest’. I believe Crandall is very interested and invested in the Cardiff Devils, and that’s why he was getting frustrated as he wants to be success here and for the team to be successful. As John Donavan mentioned in his interview, Crandall ran the show up in Belfast nearer the end of the year, not many players can do that - especially players that are not interested.
He definitely cut a frustrated figure didn't he. Which i totally get when things aren't going your way but i don't think it's particularly helpful to anybody and it's not a great look when you've got youngsters like Waller probably watching your every move.

My "not showing an interest" comment was more to do with other facets of his game to be honest. His 36 league points was clearly disappointing but that was more a lack of form than effort. I thought he was very lazy defensively though and his body language was awful at times. Understandable maybe but it's not what you want from your so called top players.

moggy#9

He definitely cut a frustrated figure didn't he. Which i totally get when things aren't going your way but i don't think it's particularly helpful to anybody and it's not a great look when you've got youngsters like Waller probably watching your every move.

My "not showing an interest" comment was more to do with other facets of his game to be honest. His 36 league points was clearly disappointing but that was more a lack of form than effort. I thought he was very lazy defensively though and his body language was awful at times. Understandable maybe but it's not what you want from your so called top players.
Particularly one who considers himself a leader.

E.D.S.

Given we finished 4th which was dire, if you were rebuilding this team, and it did need a rebuild… how many players would you have replaced? Not having a pop. I had ten in my head. Haven’t done the count back but we must be around that figure. Park the personalities and naming names… at a headline lever what would you have expected to see (as one of our most sensible and more respectable posters) replaced in terms of a number?

jenks33

Given we finished 4th which was dire, if you were rebuilding this team, and it did need a rebuild… how many players would you have replaced? Not having a pop. I had ten in my head. Haven’t done the count back but we must be around that figure. Park the personalities and naming names… at a headline lever what would you have expected to see (as one of our most sensible and more respectable posters) replaced in terms of a number?
Yeah I had about 9 or 10 in my head as well. To be honest I’ve been happy with our recruitment this summer but I think we’ve fallen at the final hurdle.

Unless there’s still an unexpected surprise in store

E.D.S.

Well, if PR has faith in him that’s good enough for me and I hope JC shows us again what he can do.

Reading this thread is all the motivation he needs to have a barn storming season and shut a few people up !!!
I think if he read this thread he would find a few people agreeing with his own assessment of the season.
What a great and refreshing interview. He has “hockey IQ” in spades. He’s clearly hurting after last year. He knows it wasn’t good enough. So much respect for him speaking so candidly. Imagine if he’d come on and not addressed any of it! That would be worrying! He knows where he was last year and that confidence to know he can do better is all I need. The rest is up to PR.

I cannot argue with any of that - great response! As well as putting up the numbers in the first year I do agree defensively he was a lot stronger that first year also. He comes across very considered in that interview and I get the impression it something he may have been stewing over since the seasons ending. I fully expect him to be back in business next year especially with PR on his heels - if he is, we could be in for something special.

jenks33

I cannot argue with any of that - great response! As well as putting up the numbers in the first year I do agree defensively he was a lot stronger that first year also. He comes across very considered in that interview and I get the impression it something he may have been stewing over since the seasons ending. I fully expect him to be back in business next year especially with PR on his heels - if he is, we could be in for something special.
I can’t fault his interview by the way. Very honest and he knows he needs to be much, much better in every department next season. Let’s hope it’s not all talk.

lloyd_jeff

So much negativity on here regarding Crandall. Admittedly last season he was poor and he's admitted that himself. But let's be honest 90% of the roster was poor last year. Season 1 Crandall was unplayable at times. If PR can get him back to that level then he's a very good player to have back!!
The issue is that nobody from the organisation has explained or apologised for the “issues”. No explanation, certainly no attempt to improve in the season, why did players fail to make basic passes or even try. Most organisations wouldn’t allow 10 months to pass without intervention.
I don’t care if Crandall or any player is told to do stuff they disagree with, that they find frustrating and unmotivated, sorry your an employee and paid to do a job, you’ve got an obligation to show up every week and perform in front of paying customers, who’ve paid money to watch a professional sports team play & not a performance by a group of whinging princesses. The organisation have the same obligation to sort out their players and stop their grievances getting onto the ice. Sorry Crandall, for me, is going to need to put up some stellar numbers to justify him robbing last yrs wages, let’s hope he gets on with PR and leaves the Princess act at home.

Last edited: