Cardiff Devils Confirmed Signings & Departures 2023/24

Slartibartfast

The issue is that nobody from the organisation has explained or apologised for the “issues”. No explanation, certainly no attempt to improve in the season, why did players fail to make basic passes or even try. Most organisations wouldn’t allow 10 months to pass without intervention.
I don’t care if Crandall or any player is told to do stuff they disagree with, that they find frustrating and unmotivated, sorry your an employee and paid to do a job, you’ve got an obligation to show up every week and perform in front of paying customers, who’ve paid money to watch a professional sports team play & not a performance by a group of whinging princesses. The organisation have the same obligation to sort out their players and stop their grievances getting onto the ice. Sorry Crandall, for me, is going to need to put up some stellar numbers to justify him robbing last yrs wages, let’s hope he gets on with PR and leaves the Princess act at home.
Would something like this placate you.

jack.jpeg

ASHIPP

What issues are you referring to? The abysmal coaching? The lack of consistency? The failure to rectify failing systems such as the pp? Or were there 'off-ice', locker room or behind the scenes issues that fans didn't know about (or only heard distant stories) that contributed to the worst team performances during the New Ownership era?

lloyd_jeff

Would something like this placate you.

View attachment 2280
No.

What would placate me would be if this repeated for a third year or any time in the future the club made obvious attempts to resolve the issues rather than ignore them, whilst happy for me and fans to continue paying money. I don’t expect trophies, goals or wins, what l expect is employees to do the job their paid for.

Last edited:

Finny

No.

What would placate me would be if this repeated for a third year or any time in the future the club made obvious attempts to resolve the issues rather than ignore them, whilst happy for me and fans to continue paying money. I don’t expect trophies, goals or wins, what l expect is employees to do the job their paid for.
I’ve never known anyone post so many nonsensical posts that contradict themselves as you do.

You don’t support the club.
You don’t give it money.
you don’t go to games.

I know your own team is such a joke that you feel the need to placate is by trying to pretend to be a Devils fan so you can troll us all on here.

Is there not the possibility that in the four weeks before the season starts you could grow up and stop it?

BostonBart22

Chad, mosey and Crawford back..more than happy with that.can see Chad and Crawford improving their games, would love the mosey we had in his first season and injury free of course. Welcome back all 3 ..

E.D.S.

I'm happy to wait until Christmas to cast judgment on the team but as a paper exercise.... I'm not blown away. At least this year we have an experienced coach to help us but I don't see us challenging. May be this year is a foundation year to give us something to build on but I'm not super excited. Third place at best, on paper. I look forward to being proven very wrong.

Confirms no Jardine return then! Shame. Don’t think we saw his best last year, but whose did we?
Personally can’t say I’m disappointed that Jardine won’t be back - as you say, he didn’t have his best season last season, and IMHO I firmly believe that Crawford is a better returnee.

In Pietroniro, Mosey and Batch, Cardiff have three versatility players (each capable in both defence and as forwards), which offers Pete Russell a few more playing variables, which I think Cardiff will need this season to close the gap on Belfast. Belfast raised the bar significantly last season, and it’s down to the Devils to up their game to match and hopefully outperform Belfast’s achievements last season

kettdevil1

I'm happy to wait until Christmas to cast judgment on the team but as a paper exercise.... I'm not blown away. At least this year we have an experienced coach to help us but I don't see us challenging. May be this year is a foundation year to give us something to build on but I'm not super excited. Third place at best, on paper. I look forward to being proven very wrong.
I think waiting a while is always sensible but I was wondering who you put above us? Recruitment across the league looks up (including us) but at the top end there is much of a muchness in terms of experience. Belfast will inevitably be strong but they have lost a lot of the core from last year and replacements are always a gamble, apart from that Sheffield look good but always mess it up somehow, Nottingham are Nottingham, I feel Guildford's best chance was last year and whilst Clan have improved, I am not convinced it is a seismic leap.

For me it genuinely looks wide open so.... who is your money on?

BostonBart22

I think waiting a while is always sensible but I was wondering who you put above us? Recruitment across the league looks up (including us) but at the top end there is much of a muchness in terms of experience. Belfast will inevitably be strong but they have lost a lot of the core from last year and replacements are always a gamble, apart from that Sheffield look good but always mess it up somehow, Nottingham are Nottingham, I feel Guildford's best chance was last year and whilst Clan have improved, I am not convinced it is a seismic leap.

Think the lge will be very tight this season, belfast on paper look favourite, clan and Nottingham dark horses as both got unproven coaches to the lge, forget Sheffield they will bottle it in fox's last season, so befast top..., devils 2nd ...Nottingham 3rd...Sheffield 4th...clan...5th...top 5..

kettdevil1

Belfast have been good for some time and given the cyclical nature of these things, I wonder if this year will be the one where there is a decline? The trick is seeing who is on the up to replace them..... I think we are in the mix, as you say Nottingham and Clan have new coaches and substantially new rosters whilst Storm are going to be a nightmare to play against at home..... I genuinely wouldn't like to bet anything on who finishes where this season

E.D.S.

Good challenge. I would just caveat that I am the biggest pessimist when it comes to this Club. I can't take the heartbreak so I like to prepare myself for misery. Add to the fact that last year I said we'd finish fifth, not a bad guess but I had Clan and Nottingham finished above us!! Clearly an expert in these matters!... and this is purely a paper exercise. PR's capability isn't even being considered yet.

What I would say - and purely on paper - I don't see the size and ability to dominate puck possession with this team. Which is so key in our league and that does concern me. I see us being better than last year but not necessarily progressing enough to challenge. I called us a "Cup Team" at the start of the season because I can see us turning it on for certain games but consistency would be our Achilles heel.
Belfast have had a huge amount of change and I'm shocked by some of the players Guildford have let go but I believe they will both be above us in the league. As for Sheffield... as long as Fox is there I just don't see them doing it and there's something fundamentally broken with the Panthers that has nothing to do with on ice personnel - have they fixed that this season? I'm not sure.

kettdevil1

Good challenge. I would just caveat that I am the biggest pessimist when it comes to this Club. I can't take the heartbreak so I like to prepare myself for misery. Add to the fact that last year I said we'd finish fifth, not a bad guess but I had Clan and Nottingham finished above us!! Clearly an expert in these matters!... and this is purely a paper exercise. PR's capability isn't even being considered yet.

What I would say - and purely on paper - I don't see the size and ability to dominate puck possession with this team. Which is so key in our league and that does concern me. I see us being better than last year but not necessarily progressing enough to challenge. I called us a "Cup Team" at the start of the season because I can see us turning it on for certain games but consistency would be our Achilles heel.
Belfast have had a huge amount of change and I'm shocked by some of the players Guildford have let go but I believe they will both be above us in the league. As for Sheffield... as long as Fox is there I just don't see them doing it and there's something fundamentally broken with the Panthers that has nothing to do with on ice personnel - have they fixed that this season? I'm not sure.
Thanks and I am with you on most of this. I am not convinced Guildford can keep it up for a second season, although they will continue to be good to watch and I share your concerns about puck possession.

Sheffield are an interesting one. On paper they again look strong but there is something intangible missing there at the moment, they will hate this but they are slowly drifting towards being another Nottingham..... Hollywood style but the end result isn't there. Talking of Nottingham..... I have followed their coaches career for a bit and he is the real deal so if he (and Pasha off the ice) can't turn the Panthers around then I am unconvinced anyone can.

Oh and I can't wait to see the Stars as they look fun

So colours to the mast.... I think it will come down to the final weekend with us and the Giants neck and neck.....

Wannabe2

It certainly looks a very strong league this season, which has to be great for everyone, it’s too early to make a call before watching a few games. Think Belfast will be favourites, they have lost some very good players, but have the knack of replacing them with upgrades, they have amazing connections and a superb coach who was an amazing player. For now I put us in the top 5, with Flames, Steelers, and Clan but time will tell.

osh

Getting back to the actual topic regarding our signings……..whilst it has been long predicted that the 3 players announced last night would be signing, it doesn’t leave me with any sort of wow factor, far from it. Very disappointed we haven’t brought in any new players who could make me think they would be a huge step up from what we had last season. I also worry as to the physical size of our team and can see us struggling when it’s needed to defend yourself and team mates. I am therefore left to hope that PR‘s coaching methods will enhance our style of play from what we witnessed last season.

ASHIPP

All teams look to have improved their rosters. No puck dropped yet but I got a feeling it's going to be much tougher and much closer than ever before.
Maybe top 5, maybe 4th or 5th but not league winners.

kettdevil1

All teams look to have improved their rosters. No puck dropped yet but I got a feeling it's going to be much tougher and much closer than ever before.
Maybe top 5, maybe 4th or 5th but not league winners.
5th is a step back so same question as EDS - who do you see above us? On paper our roster looks much better than that so would be interested to hear why so low?

In general I take Osh's point about the lack of a 'wow' factor with the three players but I wonder if this is more to do with familiarity. Crawford was one of the best D-men in the league last year and clearly has room for improvement, Mosey (when fit) is a very good hockey player and whilst Chad is not a top line player, his versatility and ability to get involved in the rough stuff is useful. If we didn't already know these players I suspect that the reaction would be more upbeat

tim78

Arguably our net-minding duo could be seen as an improvement.

Defence wise the lose of Thompson, Jardine and Louis for River, Mosey and Donaghey. I admit I was hoping for a Mikkelson's record, but if River and Donaghey are both like Jardine's first season then we're going the right way. Hopefully Mosey's speed for Louis strength is a pays off .. only time will tell. I do think Richardson is starting to lose form but would still have him as the best British D man.

Forward wise Arniel, Ully and Barrow replacing Coughler, Reid and Crandell could be interesting. Loved watching Coughler but the line seemed to struggle last season with the injuries, game play and mixing.

Busch and Crandell with Waller for the 3rd where we had Penny, Brittian and Waller! Crandell over Penny for me and I'm hoping Busch turns out like MacRae.

Presuming Pietroniro will be injury and covering anyone under performing.

Biggest improvement is certainly the coaching, nothing so far has matched the passion we saw in Lord and even though he made mistakes he certainly did learn and make adjustments to get better.