Cardiff Devils v Esbjerg - 31/08 @ 19:30 - Preseason #2

The game was really good, loved how physical we are. Couple of problems I have, I thought bingo went on for way to long, also the announcer made too many errors for my liking. Players were named wrong, times. Just thought he spoke to much and didn't let fans flow. Also why did they call there backup netminder as man of the match?? Amazing on ice, poor off ice

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Sheincar

devils2001uk said:
the mom he gets told and it will take time to get back in to it
I have no idea what that means.

Bizarre night. Do we really want a player who head butts the opposition player after having already had 2 fights? Bingo - really!!!!!!!! What a money spinner that must have been given that apparently they were giving tickets away!! Then to top it away team MOM back up goalie who didn't ice. What does that say about rest of team?

Drummer in Block 15 - please don't bother.
Mumbles announcing penalty to #71 when it's clearly #61 on scoreboard, #61 in bin & #71 is still on ice. Mumbles shouting that we're on a POWERPLAY - yes we know that & we know our PP is nothing to shout about!
No goal replays - have we lost them too now no Paul Sullivan even though there were about 6 people in & around DJ stand.

Entertaining game. Think we need to get better balance between being tough and actually playing. Didn't really play until 3 down as were busy knocking six bells out of everything that moved, but when we did we looked like we can be a real threat this season. Lord looks class, M Myers great at face off and his second was properly good. For a team that have had very few (single figures?) training sessions as a group, look to have real potential. Can't wait for the season proper. Only real downside was daft head butt, hopefully that is lesson learnt there.

Sheincar said:
devils2001uk said:
the mom he gets told and it will take time to get back in to it
I have no idea what that means.

Bizarre night. Do we really want a player who head butts the opposition player after having already had 2 fights? Bingo - really!!!!!!!! What a money spinner that must have been given that apparently they were giving tickets away!! Then to top it away team MOM back up goalie who didn't ice. What does that say about rest of team?

Drummer in Block 15 - please don't bother.
Mumbles announcing penalty to #71 when it's clearly #61 on scoreboard, #61 in bin & #71 is still on ice. Mumbles shouting that we're on a POWERPLAY - yes we know that & we know our PP is nothing to shout about!
No goal replays - have we lost them too now no Paul Sullivan even though there were about 6 people in & around DJ stand.
Oh yea. The drummer, not going to moan about the noise. But us it necessary? Just sounded a bit out of tune and was drowning out chants at time. The powerplay shouting, if our pp was good I would still say no to it. Oh forgot about the replays, think we will miss Paul

Sounds like you've got a really tough team again. Think Adams might have to have a word with Conboy. If his actions carry on throughout the season, it would be a bit worrying.

Match night entertainment was poor at best, will give it some time to bed in but seriously 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'.
Team look great, I don't think we can complain too much about the team knockin' seven bells out of the opposition, its what most of us have been screaming for the last couple of seasons, and in my view Esbjerg we're asking for it in that first period. However, Conboy's actions were stupid and I'm hoping he reigns it in when the season starts or we won't be seeing much of him, hopefully a few words from G tonight will put it to bed.
Thought the team once they got flowing a bit looked great for preseason, few things that need working on but that's to be expected. Lord looks a hell of a signing, and what can you say about Matt Myers other than welcome home :D. Blights goal I thought was a beaut as well, can't wait for him and Mac to be playing off each other again.
Think Joe deserves a mention as well, gave up a couple of weak goals but think you have to give him that when he sees such little ice time, a part from that he was brilliant.

DevilDom

Really enjoyed the game. Really didn't enjoy the way Darnell handled it who again demonstrated his inability to handle a good physical game of hockey.

Liked the look of Plumton and Lord. Matt Myers was fantastic and Joe Myers did very well too. Loved the fact we were able to roll 4 lines and each line looked decent. Conboy needs to calm down a lot as he completely lost it and was very stupid doing what he did. Thank god it wasn't and EIHL game as he would be looking at a lengthy ban. However, and this doesn't excuse it this was due to nothing being called by Mr Hollywood on the Danish player who ran LaCosta. Really hope LaCosta isn't out for long. It looked like he was out cold for a few seconds and looked very shaken up.

The match night team needs some work but I'll give them some time. Maybe a case of you don't always know how good something is until you don't have it any longer?

Chris

Administrator
Thread starter #31
Apologies for the fowl up with MNL :(

We didn't manage to find a host for tonight and our plans to run it from the BBT were shot down in flames by the dodgy phone signal.

Still, on the plus side it was a genuinely exciting game and much better than I was expecting. Conboys actions might have been stupid, but he seemed an exciting player to watch for the 12minutes or so that he was on the ice :p

Otherwise the team look very strong, we probably saw more hits and fights in this one game than we saw the entire of last season! Lord really impressed and the Myers signing is huge, our second goal was awesome!

Big shout for Joe Myers as well, he always looks shakey coming into a game but once he settles down he's really quite good, if we play him on Wednesday I expect it'll be another close game. The LaCosta incident was a bit of a shock, how they didn't end up with a major penalty for it i've no idea but it sounds like he was taken off as a precaution...

Gazza272

DevilDom said:
The match night team needs some work but I'll give them some time. Maybe a case of you don't always know how good something is until you don't have it any longer?

Or maybe give the new team some time to bed in? It's pre season for them as well.

Some things will work early on, some things won't. Let's see where we are a few weeks down the line.

Crazy crazy game.

Impressed by Plumton, Ross and Lord.

Conboy's headbutt was idiotic. As a team the discipline was poor, but then so was Broadway Tom.

Incidentally, what on Earth happened at the foot of the block 8 steps during 1st intermission. Seemed to be a kerfuffle with one of the stewards?

Enjoyed the game but they looked like a team that don't know each other. Three preseason games might benefit us this year I think. There's definitely an edge to them. Joe had a good game after some early jitters too. He needs to play more. I just hope tonight was Conboy trying to earn a reputation in the preseason and he's normally more measured than that.

Roll on Belfast.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

DevilDom

Gazza272 said:
DevilDom said:

Or maybe give the new team some time to bed in? It's pre season for them as well.

Some things will work early on, some things won't. Let's see where we are a few weeks down the line.
Did you not read my first sentence you quoted? :roll:

ASHIPP

Build a team like this and the fans will come. Thoroughly entertaining and the best work out our Guys could have asked for before season starts.The result is irrelevant but got to think that G will be pleased with their performance and they will certainly have learned a lot.
Great to see the speed, top fitness levels and relentless battling. Devils will not be bullied this year and BBT will defo be a difficult place to play.

Matthew's goals were beauties...easy to see how important his experience and winning
mentality will be this season. His brother did a great job in nets - Joe was confident and solid
Good to see Tyson back to his previous high standard and both Andrew Lord and Brad Plumton look very good signings.

No place for headbutting in this sport....disappointing that behaviour resulted in a match ban for a player we all wanted to see. Hopefully Conboy will be briefed on what is acceptable to our refs....or he will be spending a lot wasted time in the bin.
Off ice very disappointing - drummers back at the bar end please. Bring back Chuck a Puck and our juniors. Bring back the class act that is PAUL SULLIVAN.

Diafol

Was a cracking game, hugely entertaining, shame about Darnell (where have I heard that before ?) Good news about La Costa. Really looking forward to the season now.

Is the "no-touch" icing rule new for this season, or just for the pre-season games ?

Sheincar

Diafol said:
Was a cracking game, hugely entertaining, shame about Darnell (where have I heard that before ?) Good news about La Costa. Really looking forward to the season now.

Is the "no-touch" icing rule new for this season, or just for the pre-season games ?
Apparently that's the rule in the league in which Esbjerg play & we agreed to play to that rule for these games with them.