Cardiff 'fan' banned

Chris

Administrator
Omnishambles.

How, or rather why on earth hasn't he been permanently banned? I can't work out how approaching and swinging at an opposing player whatever might have happened on the ice doesn't carry more serious consequences.

I thought Olson "attacked" him according to several people last night?

Not enough in my opinion. He has clearly been found to be the instigator of an incident which could have been very nasty and is very lucky that Olson didn't press charges.

Chris said:
Omnishambles.

How, or rather why on earth hasn't he been permanently banned? I can't work out how approaching and swinging at an opposing player whatever might have happened on the ice doesn't carry more serious consequences.
Well Done and credit , where its due to the Devils organisation.

though it can be debated if it should be a ban of longer than remainder of season !

Only get's a ban for one season instead of life? Can't help thinking this sends out the wrong message. I know Olson had been winding up the crowd, but that's no excuse to jump over a barrier and physically confront an away player.

J.B said:

Not enough in my opinion. He has clearly been found to be the instigator of an incident which could have been very nasty and is very lucky that Olson didn't press charges.

According to reports, the guy himself rang the Police to complain of assault, problem is for him, it was his actions were were have found to have been in the wrong, not Olsons

Was it the idiot who stands next to the penalty box who needed security called last night during the match, or are we doubly blessed with two over-aggressve fans?

dave

How is this different to the Leeds fan?? Walk half way around the rink so not heat of moment and into the blaze area is bad enough let alone going for a player and what happened next.

why do people allways say ban him for life, it's the only way to send a message ? murder the wife ( or anyone for that matter ) you get life, about 15 years and serve about 8 ! olson will get nowt, don't see why we should be botherd, like has been said wot did the guy that had a go a franny get, wot did happen to the belfast fan who asaulted hicks get ? i'm not condonin wot happend but i'm long past carring, sorry.

drainage

J.B said:

Difference is one threw the punch .... Fan is a tool and probably should get a longer ban but stupidity isn't yet a crime ... Olson shouldnt have punched he was bigger padded and in no danger he could have held the guy off

The fan was out of order I totally agree but Olson saw red and lashed out ....

BBW said:
Was it the idiot who stands next to the penalty box who needed security called last night during the match, or are we doubly blessed with two over-aggressve fans?
I stand next to the penalty box and have done for 4 years I was in no way involved and I'm not an idiot thanks

Paul Sullivan

drainage said:
J.B said:

Difference is one threw the punch .... Fan is a tool and probably should get a longer ban but stupidity isn't yet a crime ... Olson shouldnt have punched he was bigger padded and in no danger he could have held the guy off

I couldn't have guaranteed he was in no danger, and I don't think anyone else could have. As far as he knows the fan who fast approached him and grabbed at / shoved him could easily have had a blade or other weapon he intended on using.

Anyone who is so stupid (or as far as Olsen may know, totally deranged) enough to do what he did may have intended, and could have easily caused, serious harm.

Not long ago nobody thought a tennis fan would ever approach a player and stab them in the back. There is no way whatsoever for Olsen to know what his intentions exactly were, but it would be clear they were agressive and negative. I support Olsen 100% in that (and only that) incident and I know that were this to have happened to a Devils player in another rink we would all be screaming blue murder.

Are we to assume that if this had happened in the penultimate game of a season that this cretin would only miss one game?

Awful decision. Who's next, our goal judges? Scorer? Planet ice staff? These are not distant extrapolations.

Send the message. Make the call. Don't be worried about the backlash from one moron or his friends and consider the reputation and integrity of our club. Take a stand and make this a real punishment.

Of course, there is the possibility the rink may decide to take action over and above this, as is their right. That would be interesting. If the person in question wwere allowed in the rink, I am not sure how I would feel, were I a parent of a junior (for example), how I would feel about a person with that lack of control and obvious temper being able to enter the building when my child were around.

drainage

Penguin13 said:
BBW said:
I stand next to the penalty box and have done for 4 years I was in no way involved and I'm not an idiot thanks
Think we need perspective right now ... Watched Devils for a long long time and things like this are rare ....someone lost the plot last night and is being dealt with

Hopefully the league will deal with rest of it

But we aren't a bunch of goons , we are a decent hockey loving fan base and anyone who thinks one person is reflective of the hundreds of people who go along have a great night supporting their team from their seats is seriously wrong

I still love my team I still think I have some great friends who love the game who watch them week in week out and I know we aren't defined by one fan who lost the plot

drainage

Paul Sullivan said:
drainage said:
J.B said:

I couldn't have guaranteed he was in no danger, and I don't think anyone else could have. As far as he knows the fan who fast approached him and grabbed at / shoved him could easily have had a blade or other weapon he intended on using.

Anyone who is so stupid (or as far as Olsen may know, totally deranged) enough to do what he did may have intended, and could have easily caused, serious harm.

Not long ago nobody thought a tennis fan would ever approach a player and stab them in the back. There is no way whatsoever for Olsen to know what his intentions exactly were, but it would be clear they were agressive and negative. I support Olsen 100% in that (and only that) incident and I know that were this to have happened to a Devils player in another rink we would all be screaming blue murder.

Are we to assume that if this had happened in the penultimate game of a season that this cretin would only miss one game?

Awful decision. Who's next, our goal judges? Scorer? Planet ice staff? These are not distant extrapolations.

Send the message. Make the call. Don't be worried about the backlash from one moron or his friends and consider the reputation and integrity of our club. Take a stand and make this a real punishment.

Of course, there is the possibility the rink may decide to take action over and above this, as is their right. That would be interesting. If the person in question wwere allowed in the rink, I am not sure how I would feel, were I a parent of a junior (for example), how I would feel about a person with that lack of control and obvious temper being able to enter the building when my child were around.

drainage

No idea what happened there but trying to say not considered some of your scenarios and god willing will never have to

Fan is not what we need or want but from my view Olson didnt need to punch we may need to disagree here !

I also think I would be furious if a Devil player did same thing whatever provocation .... Bad day all round don't need so called fans like that but don't need to see players like that either

I certainly don't want to see anything like that again