Carruth

moggy#9

You’re telling me you’d rather Bowns over Carruth? I know who I’d rather in my net and it certainly isn’t Ben Bowns. For all the success Bowns has had, Carruth is by far the better netminder in terms of overall play and Carruth didn’t need to flop around in goal and make the fancy saves because he wasn’t out of position in the first place. His rebound control was superb and he had the correct mindset - he wanted to win the big trophies at all costs - something we've not done for ages.
I've said for years that bowns' game has technical issues, though to be fair this season he has been outstanding much of the time. Quite side from any positioning issues and rebound control, carruth's ability to play the puck makes him a threat when opponents don't execute their line changes as they should.

Please no. Never a fan of going back to the future and frankly there are more successful NMs out there. Bowns CV contains numerous trophies, we need someone who is also a serial winner.
Going back to the future? Isn't that what we have done with bowns? He has returned half the goalie he used to be. We won't attract a high end nm to the club while he is still here. If Carruth was to return am guessing Ben won't be about.

kettdevil1

Going back to the future? Isn't that what we have done with bowns? He has returned half the goalie he used to be. We won't attract a high end nm to the club while he is still here. If Carruth was to return am guessing Ben won't be about.
His current saves percentage is 0.924, his best in the EIHL ever. Given how well he has played this season, I can't quite see the argument that he is half the goalie he was.

That's 100% what I am saying. Carruth has 2 trophies in his cabinet (the playoff win with us and the WHL, 11 years ago. There is a consistent thread in his career of falling out with teammates and he hasn't lasted more than 2 years at a team since he was in college. He is not a winner, no matter how good a NM he is (the two things are very separate in my view)

Bowns has 16 trophies (and numerous individual awards) and I am yet to find anyone who has fallen out with him. He is the definition of a winner and whilst there may be better NMs out there, I wouldn't swap him for anyone in the EIHL (or Carruth).
Not really comparing apples with apples when compare the standard of leagues they were both playing in.
Look at it this way if you swapped them, would mac been able to hold his own in the leagues bowns has played in, I think yes, however would bowns have lasted in AHL, ECHL, been drafted ect, I doubt it. You can't just go on what they won when comparing when one has been playing higher standard leagues ect.

kettdevil1

Not really comparing apples with apples when compare the standard of leagues they were both playing in.
Look at it this way if you swapped them, would mac been able to hold his own in the leagues bowns has played in, I think yes, however would bowns have lasted in AHL, ECHL, been drafted ect, I doubt it. You can't just go on what they won when comparing when one has been playing higher standard leagues ect.
Surely both approaches are valid? I tend to focus on 'winners' and I would argue it is impossible to argue that Bowns is not a serial winner. Ditto I don't think it is possible to argue that Carruth isn't. That is NOT to say that Mac isn't a bad netminder, quite the reverse, he is a superb one at this level but (and it is a big but).... a winning team is never about having the best players, it's about having the best team and whilst Bowns has consistently been part of a winning team, Mac very rarely has been and when it goes wrong, it appears as though he is not part of the solution.

kettdevil1

Tonight and the last few games has shown he lost a little form which is worrying for playoffs. Quite a Few goals he would want back.
I know I am being the Bowns cheerleader here but.... surely that is him all over. The bigger the game, the better he gets. When games are meaningless (and no matter how much we hype up these games, we are still going to be second) he tends to come in as average, when it's a key game, he is consistently excellent.

moggy#9

I know I am being the Bowns cheerleader here but.... surely that is him all over. The bigger the game, the better he gets. When games are meaningless (and no matter how much we hype up these games, we are still going to be second) he tends to come in as average, when it's a key game, he is consistently excellent.
It's easy to imagine bowns not being up for a dead rubber (from our perspective) against Coventry. After all the playoffs are rushing up, and after that he could be facing Conner beddard in the world champs. Realistically wall isn't going to get much ice time over the coming weeks and must think he's on his way out.

ASHIPP

It's easy to imagine bowns not being up for a dead rubber (from our perspective) against Coventry. After all the playoffs are rushing up, and after that he could be facing Conner beddard in the world champs. Realistically wall isn't going to get much ice time over the coming weeks and must think he's on his way out.
These final weeks will have been hard for Tyler not getting much ice time. To get into a consistent groove, goalies need a run of games, not the odd one. I feel sorry for him - he can't be properly judged on the odd game here and there.
It's a difficult role to play because most teams will need their No.1 starter in the closing weeks to help secure league positions and Playoff seedings.
Tony Verrone, the Steelers' other import goalie is only getting games now really when Greenfield has been rested.
It will be interesting to see the Club's approach to the goaltending situation next season. Will they choose a tandem 1a+1b route, or an out and out no1 with less experienced backup?

E.D.S.

I loved Carruth but I just don't buy the argument that Bowns isn't good enough to backstop us to a league title. He's posted his best stats for almost 5 years whilst being behind arguably the weakest defensive structure I've seen at the Devils in a long time. Yes he has bad games. All goalies do. Invariably when he's struggled we do concede soft one's but that's the nature of the position. When I thought this team needed tightening up at the back - a Strachan type player - we brought in Wilde. He's done well for us but I just didn't think that type of player was what we needed. I still don't. When we defensively carry some of the players we do, who don't seem particularly interested in team defence, it does leave us massively exposed. Bown's has had a good season even with all that's in front of him.

The same applies to Wall except, and this is purely a personal choice, just isn't the goalie for me. I don't like that overly aggressive style - the Fleury style - that means he's out of position and gets founds out. He's let in a few soft ones and doesn't fill me with confidence. This was evident for me from the start where him and Bowns were more of a tandem. At this level, a goalie should be ready to play regardless of ice time. If PR, has brought in a goalie that needs regular ice time to hit peak performance and doesn't play him then that's poor and setting him up to fail but I firmly believe the Devils expected Wall to be more impactful that he has been and that's what's restricted his ice time.

Kevlar68

You could also look at the league standard itself. This season's league is not even close to the standard of teams pre-covid. Would either of our netminders be good enough if those standards were this season? I don't think they would be.

Wannabe2

I think Bowns is a really good netminder, does he make some silly mistakes, yes but if he didn’t he wouldn’t be playing in this league and that’s a fact. Ben also has to play behind a pretty poor Defense where we conceeded
2.8 goals average per game this season, I do think he plays too much but I think that’s because our back up is pretty weak, we only finished 2nd because we scored 3.8 goals average per game, the 2nd highest in the league.

The_Stick_

I’ll hold my hands up, at the start of the season I was firmly of the opinion that we wouldn’t win the league again with Bowns in net. I was proven wrong. He has posted some incredible stats this season, and they could have been even better if it wasn’t for a lousy defence. I do think we need to find a younger import Nettie next season who can progress into being our starter. But I appreciate that we did that this season with Booth and Wall

One question that should be asked if why 2 import goalie`s who were both drafted and have AHL ect games under there belt flopped for the devils, poor recruitment? Was life made hard for them? Because on paper both goalies would be your number one net minders. They would of played in games/leagues/NHL camps that Bowns would of dreamt to have played in.

Wannabe2

Callum booth don’t seem to have played much any season, unless my info is crappy, and he doesn’t appear to have played last season. Unless anyone knows more.

Ocko

Import goalies like Carruth are 10 to a penny. He’s just another mercenary who’d never heard of the Devils until we offered his agent the most money and probably won’t bother to check how we’re doing again either.

I don’t understand grown adults obsession with him.