CC Next Round Question

kettdevil1

Thread starter #1
I see the Challenge Cup group finally comes to a close this evening and I can't find the answer to who we will play in the next round. At the moment we are 6th ranked so will play Coventry but.... can we play a team that we were in a group with? If we slip to 7th (possible if Guildford win tonight) then we play Sheffield but I can't find anywhere that states whether there are rules about who you can play in the next round.

Anyone know?

Group winners are seeded according to their points percentage in the group stage. The Quarter-Finals will then be played as follows: 1 vs. 8, 2 vs. 7, 3 vs. 6, 4 vs. 5.
We will be 6 seed if Guildford don't win in regulation time if they do then its tie break which will go down to goals scored I think both teams will have the same results

kettdevil1

Thread starter #3
Group winners are seeded according to their points percentage in the group stage. The Quarter-Finals will then be played as follows: 1 vs. 8, 2 vs. 7, 3 vs. 6, 4 vs. 5.
We will be 6 seed if Guildford don't win in regulation time if they do then its tie break which will go down to goals scored I think both teams will have the same results
Thanks - yes, it just surprised me that in the press release it didn't mention the scenario where you could have repeats of group games. I think Fife and Dundee are in the same boat.

The competition really does need a revamp

Belfast v Nottingham or Guildford
Sheffield v all three teams can be 7th seed
Coventry v Cardiff or Guildford
Fife v Dundee
it doesn't say if team can't play from the same group in the Q/F

Last edited:

august04 2.0

Thanks - yes, it just surprised me that in the press release it didn't mention the scenario where you could have repeats of group games. I think Fife and Dundee are in the same boat.

The competition really does need a revamp
It’s a total shambles. We go through all those group games against Coventry and Guildford, to play Coventry or Guildford again in the next round?!

kettdevil1

Thread starter #6
It’s a total shambles. We go through all those group games against Coventry and Guildford, to play Coventry or Guildford again in the next round?!
That was my question - normally there is something in the rules that prevents this but.... nothing on the EIHL website says that so we have to assume that we have a decent chance of playing Cov for the umpteenth time

moggy#9

Really nothing that happens in this league should surprise me, but still they find new and creative ways to demonstrate their utter incompetence.

kettdevil1

Thread starter #8
Stating the obvious, what is needed are guaranteed games for each club so..... any replacement is likely to be just as convoluted I suspect. Personally I still want a format where it is all done and dusted by Christmas but I am not 100% sure how you balance the financial side of things with the need not to play Coventry every week

kettdevil1

Thread starter #10
To answer my original question…. The quarter final match ups show that you can play a team from your own group. Two of the four ties have ended up that way. We play Sheffield

Diablo3

I'll take another 5-0 win against Sheffield please, not to progress so much, but just to piss off the Steelers ( ok I'm living in dreamland)

BostonBart22

It will be the only realistic chance of a trophy, the lge has gone, forget the continental cup, won't qualify either in January, playoffs we are way behind the top teams on end product on the ice at mo, unless drastic changes are made, at least 2 X D IMHO. We will just see the season out now with as many wins as we can and hope....

Rempel16

It will be the only realistic chance of a trophy, the lge has gone, forget the continental cup, won't qualify either in January, playoffs we are way behind the top teams on end product on the ice at mo, unless drastic changes are made, at least 2 X D IMHO. We will just see the season out now with as many wins as we can and hope....
I'm feeling pessimistic about this season's prospects but I don't believe the league has yet gone. We are only 6 points off the top and plenty of hockey left to play.

Though, I still think we need 2 changes in order to ensure the best chance.

Kevlar68

I don't know why but i think this could be the only comp we may have a chance of winning, we seem to cope better with sprints than marathons like the Playoffs. If we look lacklustre now we won't have the legs come playoffs but who knows with this team. Every dog has his day and in one off's or 2 legs anything can happen but it's my least favourite competition as it brings nothing with it apart from the cup itself, then again it seems like the EIHL gets nothing with all the competitions we're involved in now from what's been posted on here.

Last edited:

Gough60

Another 2 dates to fit in. There is also the possibility we qualify for next & final round of Conti. Cup, due to be played on the weekend 13-15 Jan. We only need to come 2nd this weekend to go through. Granted that weekend is currently free but another 3 games in 3 days. Next 2 games following that weekend........ Belfast home on Friday then away to Guildford on Saturday.