Clan v Devils - 01/10 - 7:00pm - League - Chat/Updates

TheStub

ledgend777 said:
Sorry if I've missed this somewhere but what time did they start travelling home - straight after game or this morning? Also, any idea what time Braehead left - I'm thinking could be another chance of a delayed face off.

As for the result - flipping BBC - on the red button / text, it says Devils won 3-1! But then on the league table it clearly has Braehead as won 2 games and lost none so I didn't know until I came on here who had actually won.
Devils left directly from the game, apparently got home just after 5 this morning. Here's hoping that they all have managed to catch some sleep prior to tonight.

The result was Clan 3 Devils 1. 2 goals in the first 15 minutes for the Clan, and a ENG with about 20 seconds left.

Hence the verve that we have gone back to ranting about travel and bus legs.

Russky

Re: Re: Clan v Devils - 01/10 - 7:00pm - League - Chat/Updat

Now that there are four teams in Scotland " bus legs" is no longer an acceptable excuse.

I totally agree!! It is TOTALLY UNNACCEPTABLE for the Devils to lose to any of the scottish teams home or away, as none of them are not real contenders for the league title, whereas the Devils could be if they they prepared properly and a 13 hr coach trip is not the best way, where as an hour's shuttle flight from Cardiff Wales Airport to Prestwick followed by a much shorter coach tripto Braehead is a much more sensible option.

Russky said:
skippy said:
Now that there are four teams in Scotland " bus legs" is no longer an acceptable excuse.
I totally agree!! It is TOTALLY UNNACCEPTABLE for the Devils to lose to any of the scottish teams home or away, as none of them are not real contenders for the league title,
:shock: just wow :shock:

voth26

Russky said:

I totally agree!! It is TOTALLY UNNACCEPTABLE for the Devils to lose to any of the scottish teams home or away, as none of them are not real contenders for the league title, whereas the Devils could be if they they prepared properly and a 13 hr coach trip is not the best way, where as an hour's shuttle flight from Cardiff Wales Airport to Prestwick followed by a much shorter coach tripto Braehead is a much more sensible option.
I think the thread is about the guys travelling up on the day of the game, not about the guys losing to braehead, with respect every team can beat each other on any given night irrespective if they are title contenders or not

Skippy

Re: Re: Re: Clan v Devils - 01/10 - 7:00pm - League - Chat/U

Russky said:

Just to clarify what I said, the bit you highlighted in red, " bus legs" shouldnt be a reason.

Losing as they played better happens.. and the clan look like a good side to me

Finny

Let's not insult Braehead - they have made a lot of good signings this summer and could well sneak into the top 4 if they stay injury free.

I've never been convinced that flying is that much better than coach, but maybe I'm letting my own personal preference sway me.
The one problem with flying is that you are restricted to having to come back the following day. At least a coach allows you to travel back whilst you are sleeping and so have a fairly normal day before the game on the sunday.

What I do agree with though, is that options into travelling up the night before should be looked into. Find a hotel that is willing to do a deal with a club in exchange for them being our "Official Scottish Away Trip" hotel.

The clan have upgraded their imports this year, and still a import down as Bayrack's visa won't be ready until this week. Our Brits are getting better also. This was the Clans 3rd game as no preseason games played. Which is not the best of starts and a import down. But still played great, the guys tired in the 3rd that's for sure and thought the last 9 mins of the game Devils could have scored. But the 1st period the Clan could have went off the ice leading by 4 if they had taking their chances.
Travelling is a killer that's for sure. The clan are going to the giants on a Saturday then down to hull on the Sunday which is coming soon for us also.
in a perfect league we could have a right north and south conference.
All the best guys, but it's madness to think unacceptable to loose to the clan or any other team. I can only speak for the Clan here but our imports are as good as any in the league. Be looking forward to Bayrack joining on the line with Galbraith and krestonavich as that line will be as good as any top line.
All the best guys

so just read the match report and Franny saying losing Scott Matzka in the 1st to injury didn't help. Any one got any info about this, as its not been mentioned any where. :?

The was no mention of an injury to Matzka by the MNL texters so it is a mystery to me.

It would explain why the Brit forward line iced regularly.

OJ

A

Anonymous

It is TOTALLY UNNACCEPTABLE for the Devils to lose to any of the scottish teams home or away
Not worded terribly well, but with the exception of the Clan, I would tend to agree :!:

I travelled with the Giants supporters to the Giants recent match at Dundee a couple of weeks ago, a 04.45 am wake up to be at the Odyssey for 05.45 where the coach was waiting to drive us onto the ferry for a 3 hr sailing on the Stenaline slow boat followed by a near 4 hr journey by coach to Dundee.

The players were making the same journey on a seperate coach, once both coaches were on the ferry it turned into a mad scramble to find a good spot to be able to lie down and get some sleep, funniest moment came when Keefe who had sprawled over one of the couches taking up about 3 seats turned over to see himself surronded by Rangers fans on their way to the old firm looking for seats he stood up and yawned and flexed a few muscle and no one asked him to move hilarious.

By the time we reached Dundee we were just in time for the Utd/Chelsea game so were lucky enough to be able to sit down and get something to eat, everyone at the table agreed that they couldn't do these types of journeys every other week like the Giants players, in the end Dundee took us to OT but for the first period at least we always seemed to be a couple of strides off the pace so i think the long journeys do play their part.

9 of Giants next 11 games are away because of events at the Odyssey but the fixture list seems to have been kind with not to much travel between teams once they cross the Irish sea.

A

Anonymous

9 of Giants next 11 games are away because of events at the Odyssey but the fixture list seems to have been kind
Fortune favours the rich .......... brave, sorry! :lol:

The one problem with flying is that you are restricted to having to come back the following day. At least a coach allows you to travel back whilst you are sleeping and so have a fairly normal day before the game on the sunday.
The other way to look at it is the Devils could have stayed up after the game (ok at more expense) then fly home early today having had a nights rest and sleep and feel better going into today's game.

I mean home straight after and arriving at 5am then having to play a game again .... hard going...

But saying all that we won 5-2 after all that travelling...

Russky

Finny said:
Let's not insult Braehead -
I was NOT insulting Braehead in particularly Finny , I was was expressing a personal opinion that I dont see any of the scottish teams as contenders for the league title this season! If anything Braehead have impressed most of all the scottish teams since they joined the league last season.

As for the idea of travelling to Scotland the day and staying in a hotel the night before is all well and good in theory but may not always be feasible due to costs and/or availability!

Finny

Diavlo rosso said:
The other way to look at it is the Devils could have stayed up after the game (ok at more expense) then fly home early today having had a nights rest and sleep and feel better going into today's game.
That only works though if there are early flights. I had a quick look and the only Glasgow to Cardiff flight on a Sunday is mid afternoon.

Franny told Pope during his intermission interview that Matzka has suffered a slight concussion and therefore they decided to rest him just in case.

ASHIPP

Ger-Devils said:
craggo23 said:
In fairness, teams north of the border face a hellish bus trip to Cardiff too. It should even itself out. If indeed Cardiff were on the road for 13 hours there is absolutely no excuse for the late show however! Only themselves to blame.
Not all down to Devils, traffic problems no doubt had a major part for it.

We need to fly them- fixtures came out in july and if you book way in advance, very cheap flights.
Whilst the distances the Devils have to travel are out of their control, something COULD be done to help them.

(Mindful of the question of cost) would the club consider allowing the team to either travel up the day before or even overnight travel arriving in the morning.... giving them plenty of time for r and r, excercise and warm-up?

There is no ignoring the fact that these gruelling trips have been a factor in the team's performance. Many of the Scottish away games were problematic for the Devils last year. If PR wants the guys to get results that will keep them in touch with the league leaders (as he has said in a match programme recently), then some help is required. The League positions will decided by road games this year, as the expectation is that most teams will be strong at home.

I agree that something needs to be done regarding the travelling as it was clear yesterday that we lacked the jump that we normally have at home. Fortunately Braehead, although only making the one trip before the game, seemed equally tired. Next week could be more costly against Sheffield.
I'm not an expert but I believe that to perform at a high level you need adequate sleep and at the right time (our body clocks don't readily accept a couple of hours dozing on the coach all night and trying to sleep from 7am Sunday morning).
If flight schedules exclude this option then maybe coaches exist that allow a good night's sleep ... in my view that means seats as you would get on a first class airline or similar (although I've only ever seen them from a distance) ... where you can lie flat. Yes it would cost a bit more but worth exploring.