Coach's Corner 25/09

osh

Thread starter #1
Just watched G's interview wherein he answers various questions put to him.

Good to hear him say morale is high, despite our very poor start to the season, also good to hear expectations are high. Unbelievable to hear him say he thinks the players are doing the right things on the power play ! What I've seen of our power play thus far has been embarrassing to watch to be honest. dump and chase and hope we gain possession in the offensive zone. We don't seem to be able to skate forward on the pp with any set moves in mind. Once in the offensive zone, we once again don't seem to have the confidence to keep possession and shoot at the appropriate time. We are certainly lacking a player who will stand on the point and take the knocks but in doing so, causes the n/m many problems. Having said that, why should it be any different to previous seasons, G doesn't excel in this area thats for sure.

He sees the return of Lacosta as a big plus ( don't we all) don't quite understand him saying that he will play a big part offensively i.e taking risks by coming forward ! Surely our rink is small enough for him not to do that! Have to say G's body language didn't inspire me with too much confidence. This weekend will be huge for us and we need to perform much much better than of late. Haven't commented on any player,s individually just yet - I always like to give them a good few games to integrate with the team - will maybe highlight those who are and aren't performing in my opinion after the Sheffield games.

Rempel16

Good points Osh, and I agree with every part of your PP concerns.

With regard to Lacosta, I interpreted it as his return will allow the team as a whole to take risks, for example, the 'stay at home' d-man, because they are confident their goalie will make the save if they get caught out.

I noticed this a lot on Sunday, where we would sit one of the d-men actually behind the blue line for that extra step in case we lost possession, so at those times we were attacking with just 4 players... Very minimal but I wonder if the return of Lacosta will allow both d-men to sit inside the offensive zone and allow the offence (as a unit of 5) to apply pressure on the opposition goal.

After all, as G always says ''it's a game of inches'' (and those extra inches could result in 4/5 more good scoring opportunities.