Conboy. Ok.... here goes

Chris

Administrator
Am I right in thinking another player can not be brought in if an existing player is under suspension? Only way to add an import to the roster is to release the one who is suspended.
I think it's been mentioned on THF that you could bring another import in, but the ban would still have to be served...

I feel very frustrated by the whole Conboy situation as when he's on the ice, he looks like a very handy player. He just has far too many red mist moments so far. I think he's been quite unlucky in a few spots though & may well be being targeted by the officials.

If you ignore the individual incidents and just look at his stats for this season compared to past seasons something doesn't add up.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=96836

83 PIM through 5 games - Compared to past seasons this is exceptionally high so it begs the question as to why...

I have no idea.

Wannabe2

Ivydrive said:
I feel very frustrated by the whole Conboy situation as when he's on the ice, he looks like a very handy player. He just has far too many red mist moments so far. I think he's been quite unlucky in a few spots though & may well be being targeted by the officials.

If you ignore the individual i. Tncidents and just look at his stats for this season compared to past seasons something doesn't add up.

83 PIM through 5 games - Compared to past seasons this is exceptionally high so it begs the question as to why...

I have no idea.
Pussy refs don't help, soon as two guys want to drop them they are in there like rats up a drainpipe try destroying the game boys.

Sheincar said:
Pack his bags & ship him out. Waste of space.
Can't help but agree with this. At a time where the team need to pull together the most, he makes things harder for them.

He's not the solution to all the problems though.

Sheincar

Wannabe2 said:
Ivydrive said:

If you ignore the individual i. Tncidents and just look at his stats for this season compared to past seasons something doesn't add up.

I have no idea.
Pussy refs don't help, soon as two guys want to drop them they are in there like rats up a drainpipe try destroying the game boys.
Dropping them is one thing but headbutting & then the incident with the linesman last night is not acceptable. If he can't complete a game he's no use to us.

Tad# said:
Sheincar said:
Pack his bags & ship him out. Waste of space.
Can't help but agree with this. At a time where the team need to pull together the most, he makes things harder for them.

He's not the solution to all the problems though.
The solution may lie within the whole organisation and not just the team and coaching staff, in a face to face convo last season the owner told me 'G and Franny will be back next season, but the dressing room will be run my way ' Obviously not working Mr Ragan

Sheincar said:
Wannabe2 said:
Ivydrive said:

I have no idea.
Dropping them is one thing but headbutting & then the incident with the linesman last night is not acceptable. If he can't complete a game he's no use to us.
though we haven't seen the incident with the linesman so cant really judge him yet

pom

From a ‘neutral’ perspective – I happened to be at the game Sat night, and Conboy was only really noticeable for doing dumb things:

Firstly, a really obvious, big, slash that broke an opponents stick – all straight in front of the ref. Got out of the box and rejoined play – followed few seconds later by sucker punching a Dundee player, from behind, on the back of the head. Not too hard a punch admittedly, but really obvious and really dumb! – and in front of the ref, so straight back to the box.

The sending off, ‘fraid he totally deserved it – stupidest thing I’ve seen in years. Was skating back to the bench for a line change – then suddenly changed direction, dropped his shoulder and went directly at the lino, who was stood on the blue line (a good 10 feet from the bench door). The linesman was clearly hurt by the impact, which was in no way an accident. At first I wondered if the ref had seen it, but he called the two linesmen over to ask what they saw – the sent Conboy to the locker room . To be honest, sitting directly across the ice with a clear view - it was really clear that it was a deliberate act....

As an aside – The Devils played really badly all night – couldn’t hit a barn door at 20 ft, no coordination between the players and no team spirit. I was wondering if they had a bad case of bus legs, or if the team had just not gelled yet?

Finally, by neutral , I mean – was a Storm fan in the SL days – then went abroad for 10 years, moved to Edinburgh 2 years ago, and work in Aberdeen a lot. I have no affinity with any of the Scotland based teams (watched 2 games at each last season, and realized they were all bottom feeders). I noticed Dundee were doing OK, so far, this season – and used to enjoy watching the Devils (esp in the old barn) – so went along just to watch the game.. (was hoping for a Devils player like Mike MacWilliam in the enforcer role again, or even an Aaron Boh )

Temme

6 Games? Personally I think he'll stay now. I feared it would be much more than 6, if it was 10+ then I would have wanted him out, but he may just be worth keeping if it's just the 6.

However this is assuming he cleans his act up.

kettdevil1

Temme said:
6 Games? Personally I think he'll stay now. I feared it would be much more than 6, if it was 10+ then I would have wanted him out, but he may just be worth keeping if it's just the 6.

However this is assuming he cleans his act up.
Yep, that is my call as well, last chance saloon time for Mr C, hopefully he will come back focused and ready to play.

Difficult to argue with six games.

Not seen the incident but 6 games based on what I have heard seems correct.

I seriously cannot do with our imports not being on the ice for stupid actions like this. He was not protecting our players or playing an enforcing role. He behaved like a complete idiot.

This after apologising for the headbut in pre-season.

What did he say after that? Hmm...Seems he does not take his own advice.

Nah, I've had enough...Yes I want tough hockey players but I can do without him. Get rid and bring someone in that will play tough but still be on the ice after 60 mins.

Just my humble opinion of course.

Why do you need Conboy when you have Plumton, Batch, Quiney, Lord, Marsh? Blight is no push over either.

I have watched a few Cardiff games this season due to being in Wales a lot and I would personally say you are better without him.

For me, with the import restrictions he is wasting money and an import slot. Why pay someone to get thrown out game after game? Now he is banned for 6 games.

5 games played and 83 PIM's surely that speaks for itself?

Think of what could be achieved should you axe Conboy and sign a half decent player. Would improve the Devils IMO!

Even though Conboy has had all of the game and match penalties already given to him, never mind this 6 game ban now added to the list. I still got this gut feeling that if we do keep him (which I hope we do) he'll show everyone what he really is about. Considering he's hardly been on the ice, he does have one goal to his name this season! ;)

He's got to keep a cool head, not to get chucked out all the time and stand up for his team mates at the right time. I know it seems impossible right now, but I hope he can prove to us all that he is a player we need on the team before it's too late.

#teamconboy

D

Deleted member 1337

Joesteeler said:
Why do you need Conboy when you have Plumton, Batch, Quiney, Lord, Marsh? Blight is no push over either.

I have watched a few Cardiff games this season due to being in Wales a lot and I would personally say you are better without him.

For me, with the import restrictions he is wasting money and an import slot. Why pay someone to get thrown out game after game? Now he is banned for 6 games.

5 games played and 83 PIM's surely that speaks for itself?

Think of what could be achieved should you axe Conboy and sign a half decent player. Would improve the Devils IMO!
Have to agree with this