Conferences

backrow

The improvements seen in the EIHL the last 3 seasons in terms of overall skill level and in the reputation of the league in Europe have basically been wiped out by this ridiculous decision! As pointed out, the League Championship has become meaningless.
Has anyone heard what the actual vote was regarding this decision?

Finny

I'm going to go against the grain and say overall it's a pretty good decision.

Yes we'd all love to see a single league structure which ends up with an undisputed British Champion.
The Heineken era Premier Division had it. The ISL had it. The BNL had it. The EPL had it.
Sadly, the Heineken era Premier Division collapsed. The ISL collapsed. The BNL collapsed. The EPL collapsed.

Most people agree that last year was probably the most competitive league since the EIHL's inception. You didn't go into games wondering if you'd hit 10 goals against the Caps etc. The biggest blowout of the season was us losing 8-0 to Nottingham. At home.
And the conference system has to have played it's part in that. It allows teams to play more games against rivals of a similar standing, reduce travelling costs and get bigger away followings.

The conference system allowed Dundee and Fife to join and be competitive. I bet Guildford and MK looked at the setup and realised it could work for them too.

And if we're honest ourselves, games against the big teams are easier to sell than games against the Scottish teams. But just as important is travel up to Scotland. We agreed this season that we can no longer do triple-headers. So do we really want to be playing more games up there? In recent years it's arguably been losses in Fife and Dundee after long journeys that cost us the title.

The thought of playing Sheffield, Nottingham and Belfast four times again doesn't make me ecstatic. But if teams had dropped out we might have been playing everyone 4 times anyway. Plus, because of the CC changes we'll be losing one guaranteed game against Nottingham and Sheffield anyway. And we'll be losing that stupid game in Nottingham that counts for CC and League which we always seem to lose.

The league might not be as diverse as some had hoped but it is more diverse than it has been previously. Comparing last season to this season the guaranteed home games against each team will be:

Belfast: Was 4 Now 4
Braehead: Was 2 Now 2
Coventry: Was 5 Now 3
Dundee: Was 2 Now 2
Edinburgh: Was 2 Now 2
Fife: Was 2 Now 2
Guildford: Was 0 Now 3
Nottingham: Was 5 Now 4
Manchester: Was 3 Now 2
Milton Keynes: Was 0 Now 3
Sheffield: Was 5 Now 4

When you look at it like that it's not too bad. And yes that will increase when you add CC knockout stages and the playoffs. I'd have preferred playing conference rivals 3 times instead of 4 but if that is what keeps Fife, Dundee and Edinbugh in the league then so be it. And if it's a format that potentially allows the future return of Hull or the introduction of Leeds, Blackburn, London etc then even better.

august04

And most season ticket prices went up too for that structure?! The EIHL board has taken us for a load of mugs. We must be though, for putting up with this bunch of amateurs running the show. No wonder they didn't recruit professional people in key roles as promised. They wouldn't put up with this garbage.
If they were going with 3 conferences and retaining the importance of the league title, it should have been 3h/3a interconference and 2h/2a out of conference. 4/2 split is just not right for many reasons. Or keep the conferences/schedules as they are and scrap the league title completely, make a more meaningful play off series with the winner of that as the British champion and entrant into the CHL.

Last edited:
I can only imagine the 5 big teams voting against this format, from a pure cost perspective it appears to suit the others. The main downside appears to be it undermines the value of the league title. Perhaps this will become the catalyst to move to more playoff oriented championship.

Mooney#16

The playoff format will not change for years to come. The arena teams cannot get nor afford to pay for the additional fixtures. It is dead in the water.

I get the logistics behind the whole thing and there are pro's and con's but are they competing to be the best in a sporting principle way or are the fans merely paying to be entertained by two teams and the winner is sort of irrelevant.

This is the point of my anger. The clubs run as 12 separate businesses. They arrive at a table with different agendas and just try to thrash out a solution that fits there business models. There is zero sporting credibility to this league. I've said before this league has to have financial co operation via revenue sharing to remove some of the obstacles like travel costs etc so it can sustain the league but also have a meaningful sporting competition.

But as with all things EIHL the big boys won't admit there business models restrict the playoff competition and stunt that being the premier championship but will not put revenue into the league to reduce costs to all teams lending itself to a single league a a true sporting competition. I also get that the Scottish teams are essentially being lazy as pigs and just sitting around waiting for the handouts. Scandalous unprofessionalism permeates every pore of this boardroom. The teams instead pump every penny into inflated rosters driving the standard of the rosters up falsely in order to entertain highly fickle fan bases across the league being fed on a diet of social media BS and unsustainable hockey. I'll repeat my earlier sentiment. This league is now a cottage entertainment industry and not a sporting competition. They can suger coat it all they want but this league and this current structure is an embarrassment to UK hockey. This boards inability to work to a unified cohesive long term strategy is completely dim witted in the extreme. Short term insular financial planning underpins everything this board does. Where is the long term strategic viewpoint. Is it shouted down or is it simply overlooked by arrogant businessmen who rate there success through pounds in the til rather than sporting endeavour.

I know some might say this is a panic at Cardiff now having a harder road. It isn't. Simple put whoever wins the league unfortunately it is a devalued achievement. How as a player would you feel lining up for the champions hockey league having won this league. Like a fraud I'd bet.

Effectively there are three division within one league structure, we are in the premiereship, with the newbies, Manchester and Coventry in the championship and the scots in division one, this is going to be one tough season not happy.
We need a proper play off system or a weighting system that reflects our more difficult opposition the wildcard teams need to play the premiere teams to earn their place in the challenge cup when the lower placed premiere teams fail to qualify.

I'd love to see the premiere teams play in an European league which would be a vehicle to drive standards even higher and add more excitement than the same all same all that is going to be this season.

dave

The ones that moaned about travel now travel more in this set up though.
Last year was 32 conf games this year 24..
If you take winning the conference Status up (put a winners prize up via a sponsor or something like that) then you say only 4 of your conference games counted to the league table (say home/away games2 +4 or chose others) so the points you can get towards the league was 2 home and 2 away same as conference then the league is a fair reflection and no bias accusations towards the other conference teams that are in a perceived easier group and the conference is also a good bragging rights.
What I do not like form the PR so far is no mention of Play off structure?

Last edited:

pjj365

We are all looking at this from a competiton angle but did the Board think the same

Taking the premise that the EIHL is an entertainment business, the conferences make sense to keep the 3 Scottish teams in the leauge.

We need to recognise that these teams faced increased costs for a one league only or 2 conferences of 6. The solution proposed by many has been some form of revenue sharing accross the league. Given all teams are businesses this was never going to happen though.

This way the Alba Conference should be comfortable financially going forward, the Spine of England Conference (aka friends of the M1 & M6) means there is not too much financial pressure on Lightning and Flames in their first season and the Arena Conference retain their lucrative revenue streams

Do I like the new set up - no; do I understand it -yes

The playoff format will not change for years to come. The arena teams cannot get nor afford to pay for the additional fixtures. It is dead in the water.

I get the logistics behind the whole thing and there are pro's and con's but are they competing to be the best in a sporting principle way or are the fans merely paying to be entertained by two teams and the winner is sort of irrelevant.

This is the point of my anger. The clubs run as 12 separate businesses. They arrive at a table with different agendas and just try to thrash out a solution that fits there business models. There is zero sporting credibility to this league. I've said before this league has to have financial co operation via revenue sharing to remove some of the obstacles like travel costs etc. so it can sustain the league but also have a meaningful sporting competition.
It would be interesting if the 'arena' teams get out voted 7 - 5 or 8 - 4 on the playoff scenario now wouldn't it.? Has the balance of power shifted now with 12 teams/votes around the table.?

Personally I don't think anyone should be mistaken that this league is anything other than about a groups of people's businesses/hobbies and surely looking after No. 1 is going to be high on their own agenda. They (the owners) can afford to put a product on sale and it's up to us (the fans) to buy it or not. I do wonder, if like the last years of the ISL if we've reached the zenith again of where this league will be from a playing standard.? Players aren't coming to the UK to improve themselves as a player are they.? If you're aim was to get to the NHL you'd surely be playing in that system (AHL, ECHL). How many "imports" are there under 30 in this league.? Not saying you're career is done after 30.

I do wonder that we don't see a title sponsor in the league is because when you have a sponsor, your life if not your own, and if you can afford to play with your own money, why jump to someone else's tune.? Again, perhaps any worthwhile candidate for the role of 'Commercial Director' can see this coming from the board room table.?

bdevil

Surely, in terms of imbalance, the team this benefits the most is Coventry.

Braehead's fixtures are pretty much the same as last year, they've just swapped 2 home & 2 away games v Manchester for 2 home & 2 away games v Guildford and MK.
Our fixtures are pretty much the same (the same goes for all in our conference), but our swap has been 4 games v Coventry for the games v Guildford & MK.

Coventry however have swapped 4 games v us, Sheffield, Nottingham & Belfast for 4 games v Manchester, 8 v Guildford & MK.

Coventry would still need to pick up big points against cross conference teams to mount any challenge for the league though.

My money is still on Devils or Steelers next year.

bb1

This has all been done for the likes of Edinburgh who can't afford travel expenses etc.....

The problem I have with the new structure is that now the smaller teams will essentially save money on travel etc....they probably won't increase their budget and put on a better on ice product....so in effect I bet the likes of Scott Neil are laughing. More money in his pocket and not invested into team!

For me the likes of Braehead and Coventry any really up their budgets and capitalise making them two of the favourites.

I'm all for balancing out things however if the money these teams will save doesn't go into investing into a better on ice product to make league standard increase then it's a waste of time.

jenks33

It's not perfect but I don't mind the new structure at all. Yes the league might be harder to win but I'd much rather watch Devils vs Sheffield/Nottingham/Belfast more than the other teams. Do people really want to see MK, Guildford, Edinburgh, Dundee, Fife in IAW more than twice? I think twice is more than enough. I wouldn't mind seeing Coventry, Braehead, Manchester a bit more but overall I'm happy

Finny

What I do not like form the PR so far is no mention of Play off structure?
Basically the same as last season, except the conference winners are no longer seeded.
They are guaranteed to be in the playoffs, but will be seeded based on their league position. If they finish outside the top 8 they will be seeded 8th. Or 7th and 8th if two conference winners miss out.

kettdevil1

When it was first announced my first reaction was that I disliked it as it felt manufactured but I think pjj has summed up the reasons nicely and the more I look at it, the more I think that this is a pretty intelligent solution. At a time when a lot of hockey is in meltdown, it appears to have done the impossible and kept twelve teams (reasonably) happy. So....I say, let's go for it next season and see how it works.

Incidentally I would be VERY surprised if any team outside the Arena Conference won the league next year, despite the arguments about inter-conference games, there are are still a lot of infra-conference games....certainly enough for one of the big teams to win the league.

If anyone disagrees...... willing to bet a drink at the IAW on it.....

Rempel16

I like this set-up, which seems to be against the majority here...

But we have managed to keep 4h/4a against the big teams and realistically these games provide far more entertainment factor than caps/flyers/stars.

I think it will make for a competitive league again, although I don't think Coventry will have the advantage that some expect. Guildford and MK are established businesses and will certainly not be whipping boys.

august04

It's not perfect but I don't mind the new structure at all. Yes the league might be harder to win but I'd much rather watch Devils vs Sheffield/Nottingham/Belfast more than the other teams. Do people really want to see MK, Guildford, Edinburgh, Dundee, Fife in IAW more than twice? I think twice is more than enough. I wouldn't mind seeing Coventry, Braehead, Manchester a bit more but overall I'm happy
In terms of the teams coming to IAW, then yes, I think we've done OK. I wouldn't want to be a Braehead fan this morning with the prospect of watching their Scottish neighbours week in, week out. Or a Nottingham/Sheffield fan as they're in the same challenge cup group too. No doubt Smith/Black's coffers will be filled but they're not thinking of their fans who seem to be sick of the sight of eachother. I'm sure we can sit back and enjoy our hockey at IAW. But the point is, they've made the league title a mockery again, when they had the chance to put it right. A handicap system is effectively in place. I'm glad we won it and got that monkey off our back but the league has been very fortunate that Braehead have had the likes of Finnerty at the helm. They should romp this league with a decent coach in charge, a good budget and some decent recruitment. I'm thinking G could have no better time to get that job! The only way they won't is if the top 4 do what I think they'll do and turn this into an arms race and massively overspend on getting the best team they can, compared to other conferences teams. They'll take points off each other and dominate the other teams just to make sure they can win the league. They say the conference system has made the league teams more similar in standard. I'm not sure about that, the top 3 were streets ahead of the rest in truth, and I think the gap will be even bigger next year because of this decision and the resulting recruitment by the big boys. I want to win the league every year but I feel it will take the likes of Braehead/Coventry to win it and embarrass the EIHL in the CHL before the arena teams take note and realise that this set up must change. As I've said before, if the conferences stay so be it, but do away with the league as the be all and end all. You can't have both the way it's set up at the moment and maintain a fair outcome for the main prize in UK hockey. The league is still a tarnished trophy. A missed opportunity to put that right.

E.D.S.

Such a great piece of communication from Todd and his team. Couldn't ask for any more. Honesty, transparency and a deeper understanding than we've ever had before on why certain decisions have been made. I can't say I agree with all of them but I totally agree with the logic and the sentiment which makes it easier to swallow so thank you for this.
Also loved the "what happens in the off season" bit they did recently. Such a good idea to have those key dates and things to look out for - like a "doozy of a signing" announcement. Brilliant.
Thank you guys. Really appreciate the effort you've gone too. Makes a massive difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk