confused with playoffs

Thread starter #1
Confused.com, we won tonight so what does that mean? We play Belfast on 2nd april does it? It's just I got confused by being told we need to play Belfast twice hone and away? Someone help!

Diafol

Tonight was the Challenge Cup, not the playoffs.

We will play Belfast home and away in the semi finals.
The winners of that tie will meet either Nottingham or Newcastle in a two-legged final.

I think I'm correct in saying that the playoffs have been put back to last season's format ?

The top 8 qualify, and the week after the regular season ends, the champions play the side in 8th place over 2 legs, 2nd meets 7th, etc...

The winners of those ties will then meet in the playoff semi-finals in Nottingham on the following Saturday, and the winners of Saturday's games meet in Sunday's final.

Diafol said:
Tonight was the Challenge Cup, not the playoffs.

We will play Belfast home and away in the semi finals.
The winners of that tie will meet either Nottingham or Newcastle in a two-legged final.

I think I'm correct in saying that the playoffs have been put back to last season's format ?

The top 8 qualify, and the week after the regular season ends, the champions play the side in 8th place over 2 legs, 2nd meets 7th, etc...

The winners of those ties will then meet in the playoff semi-finals in Nottingham on the following Saturday, and the winners of Saturday's games meet in Sunday's final.
That's how I understand it now as well.

Also, does the higher placed team get to choose which Playoff leg they play at home?

It is usually that case where the higher ranked team picked when they play at home. Although last season we were bullied into playing our home leg first for some reason. Doesn't really matter as we won, but still.

wildthing74

EJ_Styles said:
It is usually that case where the higher ranked team picked when they play at home. Although last season we were bullied into playing our home leg first for some reason. Doesn't really matter as we won, but still.
You're quite right and I was fuming about it at the time but after all its the golden child in Sheffield but as you say we knocked them out then as well.

wildthing74 said:
EJ_Styles said:
You're quite right and I was fuming about it at the time but after all its the golden child in Sheffield but as you say we knocked them out then as well.
G prefers to play the home leg first as there is only one bus trip to make as opposed to the opponents two. He did it against the Phoenix one year and thought it was his choice last year.