Congratulations Blaze

osh

Thread starter #1
Exciting finish to the league season with Blaze winning the title by one point from the Giants. I always consider this the major trophy to win despite the excitement of the play offs. So. congratulations to Blaze, you have to admire their consistency over the years. Good to see us only 11 points behind after 56 games. if only our away form had been marginally better, who knows eh ?

osh said:
Exciting finish to the league season with Blaze winning the title by one point from the Giants. I always consider this the major trophy to win despite the excitement of the play offs. So. congratulations to Blaze, you have to admire their consistency over the years. Good to see us only 11 points behind after 56 games. if only our away form had been marginally better, who knows eh ?
Well done to them but i didn't think they were anything special as individuals or as a team, but they must have been doing something right and that is a coaching issue Thommo gets them motivated each and every season and they come up trumps, we are always full of promise especially this season with the players we signed but somehow have failed to deliver unless we can win the playoffs.

ASHIPP

[quote="dave hardman
Well done to them but i didn't think they were anything special as individuals or as a team, but they must have been doing something right and that is a coaching issue Thommo gets them motivated each and every season and they come up trumps, we are always full of promise especially this season with the players we signed but somehow have failed to deliver unless we can win the playoffs.[/quote]

Eh? They have THE best sniper in the League! Luke Fulghum - followed by Greg Chambers. And Jonathan Weaver - which team wouldn't want him? It was a bit of a nailbiter for the Blaze but it does show how good OTHER teams are this season - Giants have a great side and could also have taken top position. Congratulations to the Blaze anyway.
As for the Devils, I don't think anyone can deny that the club has really progressed this year, much more so than in recent years. A 4th place finish (only 5/6 points behind Panthers) and a CC Cup final place is more than most teams managed this season. And we still have the playoffs. :D

Rempel16

dave hardman said:
osh said:
Well done to them but i didn't think they were anything special as individuals or as a team, but they must have been doing something right and that is a coaching issue Thommo gets them motivated each and every season and they come up trumps, we are always full of promise especially this season with the players we signed but somehow have failed to deliver unless we can win the playoffs.
I agree, I think that whilst Fulghum and Chambers are outstanding players, the Blaze team for me this year has probably been the weakest championship winning team of the EIHL era.

They are most certainly fallable, the way they tried to give the title to Belfast and Nottingham shows this.

It has been fortunate for the Blaze this last month that the other runners just don't seem to have wanted that title enough and as such the Blaze have been able to limp over the line.

I am fairly confident that (tempting fate here) we can dispose of them in the Semi with relative ease.

But fairplay to Thommo, he's once again shown that the best coached team will generally win the league, unless of course you have a record-braking NHLer in your team!!!!

I'm still miffed that Derek Campbell has a championship medal though!!!! :twisted:

osh

Thread starter #5
very suprised to see that although there has been over 200 views of this post, only 3 others have bothered to offer their congratulations to the Blaze for winning the biggest title of the season. Well done to Dave, Ashipp and Rempel16 for showing what I consider good sportsmanship. I know some may have posted congratulations on other forums, but in the main, we seem to have ignored what has been a very close run title race. :eek: :oops:

is it really that big a deal that users on the forum should have to post their congratulations? its just a forum, i use it to discuss devils topics, i don't feel i MUST congratulate another team on winning the title.

nmase20 said:
is it really that big a deal that users on the forum should have to post their congratulations? its just a forum, i use it to discuss devils topics, i don't feel i MUST congratulate another team on winning the title.
Agreed!

osh

Thread starter #8
nmase20 said:
I didn't say it's a MUST did I. It just surprises me that's all. Just thought we would get more than 3 members offering congrats. had we have won it, i certainly would have expected fans from other clubs wishing us well, that's the nature of hockey fans (usually) ;)

osh

Thread starter #10
Wannabe2 said:
When a team sends out its goons to beat the crap out of another teams Brits, it tends to take the edge off it a little.
Very true I admit. the coach made a bad error in that game for sure. You'll be telling me next though that if the chance arose, you wouldn't want Thommo as devils coach.

osh

Thread starter #12
Wannabe2 said:
Spot on Osh, we all have a right to our opinions, and i wouldnt want him at all.
Not for one minute am I suggesting otherwise, of course you are entitled to your opinions, i wouldn't have it any other way.

drummer-sean said:
they were the weakest Championship winning team of the Elite era.
Sums up how rubbish the rest of the Elite League was in one sentence. Panthers had the easiest walk to a league championship ever and yet still managed to mess it up! :lol:

Congratulations to the Blaze. Mr Cruikshank must be laughing his bum off picking up two winners medals in the last two seasons after being picked up mid-season!

Thanks for your kind words. They mean a lot to us.

Spot on about being the worst team to win a championship. A poor team who has been hit by injuries and suspensions throughout the year and still good enough to win it .. a lot of work for a few coaches to do next season to even get close to Thommo.

DevilDom

At the end of the day the stats don't lie. Blaze won the league cos they were the most consistent team. They may not have been the prettiest, but you can't argue with the fact they were the best cos they had the most points!

Well done Blaze - we'll get you next year (well maybe :? )

Finny

J.B said:
...a lot of work for a few coaches to do next season to even get close to Thommo.
How does that work? Neilson and Thornton weren't that far away. If the league had draws instead of overtime - the Giants would have won the title.

Will be interesting to see how the Blaze do next season if Calder takes his buddies with him to Braehead as expected. I guess we will see Thommo do his usual trick of splashing the cash to get the better players from other EIHL teams.

osh

Thread starter #20
Finny said:
J.B said:
...a lot of work for a few coaches to do next season to even get close to Thommo.
How does that work? Neilson and Thornton weren't that far away. If the league had draws instead of overtime - the Giants would have won the title.

Will be interesting to see how the Blaze do next season if Calder takes his buddies with him to Braehead as expected. I guess we will see Thommo do his usual trick of splashing the cash to get the better players from other EIHL teams.
Finny, do I detect a hint of bitterness? The fact is, the league don't have draws do they so let's just deal with the facts eh. The stats show ( and you should know)that Blaze won more points than anyone else. Yes I agree with you, it will be very interesting to see how Thommo does next season if Calder takes some of his team mates with him to Glasgow. As for Thommo splashing cash, surely you remember when we were known as the cheque book club, there weren't too many complaints then was there when we were actually winning things and not 'living in hope'