Congratulations to Coventry Blaze

Pleximan

Thread starter #1
Well done Coventry on winning the playoffs trophy! A great turn around in the season for Blaze, Chuck Weber has done a great job running their bench since he was brought in, nobody would have predicted Coventry to win the playoffs so definitely a case of the underdog coming through to win, and great that Sheffield didn't win it.

I do wonder though about how strange it is that Cardiff Devils win the Challenge Cup that took 13 games to win over a period of 7 months and yet get no further reward as in European competition. Coventry Blaze win the playoffs that took a mere 4 games over 2 weeks and their reward is the Continental Cup next Autumn. I don't want to take away any of the well deserved congratulations for the Blaze but surely there is something wrong with the system here in the UK?

I call upon the Elite League to expand our playoff system, a best of 3 or even 5 games as of next season to at least make a step in the right direction to make the playoffs a more difficult and meaningful competition to win.

At present the Challenge Cup is by far the more difficult competition of the two to win but the winner does not advance to Europe. Come on Elite League, sort it out!

Earnie

To convincingly beat Sheffield deserves a lot of credit. Well done indeed.
Every Block in the Arena,with the exception of Sheffield blocks of course, was cheering for you.

kettdevil1

Great turnaround and the gameplan in the final was spot on. Sheffield couldn't handle the physicality of the Blaze and the Goertzen/Tendler/O'Marra line was excellent throughout.

It has got to be good news for the league that the five trophies were won by five teams.

backrow

Pleximan, I couldn't agree more about the lack of reward for winning the much more difficult Challenge Cup as compared to the playoffs.
I'm guessing that two positions from the final league standings were awarded because of the obvious imbalance of the Conference schedules to make sure the top team from the toughest conference was recognized.

To be fair, if you take away the group stages of the challenge cup which is essentially a bit pointless with 8 of the 10 teams qualifying and only there to fill the schedule, you only play 5 meaningful games to win it. I'd say the continental cup place should go to the 3rd team in the league like football but what do I know.