Coventry Blaze v Cardiff Devils - Mon 26 Dec 2016 - FO 6pm - Chat/Updates

Good result, score line looked a bit shakey for a minute but we got it and the bonus of the steelers losing too, also looks like Ulmer turned up tonight, things are looking up

ASHIPP

Good result, score line looked a bit shakey for a minute but we got it and the bonus of the steelers losing too, also looks like Ulmer turned up tonight, things are looking up
Giants won and are just 4 points behind in second place with a game in hand. They play Clan again tomorrow who they beat comfortably tonight.

jimmy snels

Enjoyed the game. changing the lines made us look more dangerous on the top end. doucet looked like he didn't want to give that spot up to morrisette ever again. good decision.

voth26

Giants won and are just 4 points behind in second place with a game in hand. They play Clan again tomorrow who they beat comfortably tonight.
Hopefully the guys now realise they could possibly lose top spot to the giants? and they actually start to kick on going forward, and play as we know they can on a more consistant basis starting tomorrow night

kettdevil1

Much better performance all round typified by Layne Ulmer who was in the right place time after time. The wobble late on was concerning but I always felt that the game would be won in regulation. Defensively we were far better than recently with forwards taking their responsibilities far more seriously. Going forward the juggle of the lines worked well and I thought the Blaze were struggling to hold us throughout.

There is still a gear or two to go up and a few mistakes to put right but..... an enjoyable game and another 2 points

osh

Good road win after the dire performance against the Storm. Wasn't at the game but hoping for more of the same tomorrow night.
Kingmo 19.1 : I sincerely hope all the players read the forum, sometimes a reminder from the fans does more to motivate a team than a coach who feels certain players need to be wrapped up in cotton wool and not criticised when need to be.

Ocko

Good win and a very good performance. I thought the Blaze were flattered by the scoreline and very fortuitous to bring it to a one goal game in the third. They couldn't get near us at times especially in the second, it seemed like we were on a powerplay at times.

The new lines looked good. Good to see Brine rewarded and going forming a line with Mo and Haddad. That seemed a really good role playing line, despite Mo still suffering from a lack of form he looked better not being burdened with trying to be the goalscorer alongside Martin. That third line is so suited to goi g against any teams top line and shutting them down.

I must say (and will probably be proved wrong) that the goal we scored when the net was off didn't seem a goal to me. The net was displaced before the shot IMO so maybe we had a bit of luck.

2+2 for Ulmer as well, but what a difference Culligan has made to that line. Lord, a brilliant player in his own right, couldn't get them going. But Culligan comes in after injury and playing D and suddenly they're dangerous. Since his return he's been brilliant, even when the team haven't played well he's been one positive.

Our D could do with being more aggressive though; Marquardt in particular used his size to get to the net and create openings too often.

ASHIPP

The Devils will need to increase their aggression level against teams like Giants and Panthers who have powerful players who can cause chaos.

The MCGrattan-Lawrence-Farmer line was on the ice virtually every other shift last night causing havoc against the Steelers. McGrattan scored a goal and Panthers' new player Jason Williams got the GWG.He's only been here two days!

Very glad to see Lordo had made some lineup changes last night. And guys play much more effectively when they know their roles.Neilson is very effective at getting the best out of Panthers like that.

kettdevil1

Good win and a very good performance. I thought the Blaze were flattered by the scoreline and very fortuitous to bring it to a one goal game in the third. They couldn't get near us at times especially in the second, it seemed like we were on a powerplay at times.

The new lines looked good. Good to see Brine rewarded and going forming a line with Mo and Haddad. That seemed a really good role playing line, despite Mo still suffering from a lack of form he looked better not being burdened with

I must say (and will probably be proved wrong) that the goal we scored when the net was off didn't seem a goal to me. The net was displaced before the shot IMO so maybe we had a bit of luck.

2+2 for Ulmer as well, but what a difference Culligan has made to that line. Lord, a brilliant player in his own right, couldn't get them going. But Culligan comes in after injury and playing D and suddenly they're dangerous. Since his return he's been brilliant, even when the team haven't played well he's been one positive.

Our D could do with being more aggressive though; Marquardt in particular used his size to get to the net and create openings too often.
The net was definitely off before the puck was in the net but I THINK there is a rule that says that if the net is dislodged deliberately and the puck either goes in, or is going to go in then a goal is awarded......

pjj365

Seem to recall a rule that allows a goal if the puck crosses the line when the net being off would otherwise result in a penalty. MNL comment that ref was not impressed with Stewart's antics

Without this I would agree. I thought we were lucky but this is probably the explanation

With this in mind we should be able to get under his skin tonight. How about a shout of "goal" every time he knocks the net off. History indicates he will do this

Yes i believe the rule is along the lines of if a goal was likely to have been scored then if the net was knocked off it's moorings by a defending player then it would be given.

Interesting to see that given all the criticism of the points output of Ulmer and Bentivoglio, they both now stand above Asselin (who i love to watch) and Morrissette, both of who have played alongside Joey Martin almost all season, which is normally worth a few extra points in itself.
Martin's line has dried up a little recently so it's good to see other step forward and start producing.

I do think sometime soon we will click as a team and some team will get a good old hammering, although i have been thinking this for some time!!!!!!!

jimmy snels

The net was definitely off before the puck was in the net but I THINK there is a rule that says that if the net is dislodged deliberately and the puck either goes in, or is going to go in then a goal is awarded......
Found this on line ::

In the event that the goal post is displaced, either deliberately or accidentally, by a defending player, prior to the puck crossing the goal line between the normal position of the goalposts, the Referee may award a goal.

In order to award a goal in this situation, the goal post must have been displaced by the actions of a defending player, the puck must have been shot (or the player must be in the act of shooting) at the goal prior to the goal post being displaced, and it must be determined that the puck would have entered the net between the normal position of the goal posts.