Cup semi

kettdevil1

I firmly believe Sheffield will do the grand slam. They’ve spent the money and built a very strong team all around. Whether they’ve broken rules or not, who cares? They’ve shown ambition: something we’ve lacked for years when it comes to winning league titles. Correct me if I’m wrong but the last time we won the league was the 17-18 season? Roughly 7 years ago.

Typical Devils.
Very roughly :)..... there have been 3 leagues decided since we won it and all have been won by Belfast.

Not sure about the ambition part, they have stuck with Fox when most of the fanbase wanted him sacked and they haven't won the league since 2015/6 so..... I can't see what they have over us in terms of ambition.

They might well turn out to be a great team of they do the Grand Slam but..... they have to prove it and they have not won anything yet. I maintain that the Belfast team that won in 18/19 are a better team and I would argue that the Devils of the previous year would also beat them over a series of games

Wannabe2

Thought we were talking about this season, as for who would have beaten who years ago no body knows and it’s irrelevant,would Mike Tyson have beaten Tyson Fury.

Ocko

Budget cap aside (as I genuinely don’t care anymore) I can’t think of a more rounded team than Sheffield in the Elite league era. All personal opinion of course. Even when Belfast did the Grand Slam recently they weren’t as strong as this team. Obviously theres more of the season to go but just in terms of the look of the team… they look huge, they can all skate well, they all look comfortable under pressure and with the puck. It’s an impressive team to watch.
Makes me hate them even more :D
Nowhere near this team from 16/17 for me:

Lord Martin Mo
Benti Ulmer Doucet
Haddad Myers Asselin
Brine Bordeleu Batch
With Kearney as a spare

A Hotham Richie
Louis Fournier
S Hotham Culligan

E.D.S.

I would agree and I would also add that they haven't actually won anything yet. I completely accept that they are heavy favourites for the league but until the end of the season I don't think we can make any broad statements about this team. Both our team and the Belfast team the following year were great teams - at the moment Sheffield are only potentially a great team
Of course they haven't won anything yet but you can still have an opinion about where they are now in relation to other teams. It's a forum.

'Hold all opinions until the end of the season please'... imagine what this forum would be like then.

E.D.S.

Nowhere near this team from 16/17 for me:

Lord Martin Mo
Benti Ulmer Doucet
Haddad Myers Asselin
Brine Bordeleu Batch
With Kearney as a spare

A Hotham Richie
Louis Fournier
S Hotham Culligan

Purely subjective but agree that our 16/17 was strong. Asselin alone proved what depth we had to be playing down the lines.

moggy#9

I would agree and I would also add that they haven't actually won anything yet. I completely accept that they are heavy favourites for the league but until the end of the season I don't think we can make any broad statements about this team. Both our team and the Belfast team the following year were great teams - at the moment Sheffield are only potentially a great team
Sheffield have a win percentage 25% above the next best team. I don't remember anyone else ever having that sort of lead (correct me if I'm wrong). With that sort of superiority the league will be mathematically theirs long before the end of the season. There is no collapse coming and no team other is capable of the prolonged streak necessary to even start catching up.

We're probably going to be in 3rd or 4th with very little progress since last year.

BostonBart22

Thread starter #29
Quick question did they ever replace Petgrave and anyone got news on his situation in that awful incident regarding adam johnson, it just seems its all hush hush situation...

kettdevil1

Of course they haven't won anything yet but you can still have an opinion about where they are now in relation to other teams. It's a forum.

'Hold all opinions until the end of the season please'... imagine what this forum would be like then.
Of course you can have an opinion, as you say that is precisely the point of the forum :), but my argument is that saying that they are a great team when we are barely half way through the season must surely come with a health warning.... imagine if they limped over the line in the second half of the season, lost the Cup final and failed again in the playoffs. We would be talking about a classic Fox team. At the moment they look great but I am not buying the hype that they are a great team ..... yet.

Last edited:

kettdevil1

Sheffield have a win percentage 25% above the next best team. I don't remember anyone else ever having that sort of lead (correct me if I'm wrong). With that sort of superiority the league will be mathematically theirs long before the end of the season. There is no collapse coming and no team other is capable of the prolonged streak necessary to even start catching up.

We're probably going to be in 3rd or 4th with very little progress since last year.
Why do you think we won't be 2nd? That is where we are (corrected) at the moment and whilst we are annoyingly inconsistent, I haven't seen anything from Guildford or Belfast that suggests they are anything other than similar to us. Agree that it would take a spectacular collapse for the Steelers to blow this lead but..... they do have form in this department. As I have said many times, they have had a great first half of the season but given we are a corrected second and many people on this forum are in despair about our form, then surely that puts their achievement into perspective?

Earnie

If you look at the games lost column Sheffield need to loose say 6 games more than what we (and Giants) loose in the run in. Not likely but mathematically it is possible.
They have only lost 3 so far!

moggy#9

Why do you think we won't be 2nd? That is where we are (corrected) at the moment and whilst we are annoyingly inconsistent, I haven't seen anything from Guildford or Belfast that suggests they are anything other than similar to us. Agree that it would take a spectacular collapse for the Steelers to blow this lead but..... they do have form in this department. As I have said many times, they have had a great first half of the season but given we are a corrected second and many people on this forum are in despair about our form, then surely that puts their achievement into perspective?
You're quite right. We could certainly finish second. However from what I've seen of this team, I'm not convinced that we have the focus and skill set to maker it happen - particularly when our competitors seem to be dealing with their issues in over way or another.

Wannabe2

We most certainly could make 2nd, but unfortunately we could just as easily finish 3/4th. Whatever will be will be let’s just hope it’s entertaining.

ASHIPP

The league is so tight between the also-rans at the moment. The difference between 2nd and 5th position could literally be a small handful of points.

Quick question did they ever replace Petgrave and anyone got news on his situation in that awful incident regarding adam johnson, it just seems its all hush hush situation...
It’s not hush hush. The coroner can’t finalise a decision while the police investigation is ongoing so today they adjourned for 6 months to await that outcome. When the police and CPS have decided what they intend to do (re-bail, charge, or take no further action) on Petgrave we will hear more again.