Dave Whistle - Club Interview

I guess if you got no signings an interview would satisfy the fans at this point in time. I'm glad whistle is the voice rather than Mr Ragan.

Kurka is probably the better person to ask, but he does not need to answer honestly if it does not suit his plans or could jeopardise their intentions.

Seems to be a knee jerk interview to rumours.

I'm surprised he is stay in Canada till late July.

Diafol

Seeing as this time last year fan expectations were extremely high, and team performance and fan morale ended up at an all time low, it's hardly surprising really that Whis isn't exactly getting peoples' hopes up.

kettdevil1

Mark666 said:
8th place is our aim? Reach for the stars... :(
To be fair he said that this was always the first goal and then we wanted to finish as high as possible.....

Not a vast amount of information in he he interview other than the fixtures meeting is in the first week of July.

DevilDom

I feel sorry for Whistle as I have nothing but respect for the man.

As has become a club trait under Regan this is a knee jerk reaction to some fans dissatisfaction with how things are going on the signings front. He didn't have a lot to say really.

Very surprised he is not due in the country until the end of July, but I guess that is another cost saving exercise.

mazza03

According to Simmsy he was with Whistle the other day and as far as Sims is concerned he (Sims) hasn't been out of the country so therefor Whis must be here???????

this is the same simmsy that he says there issue with the devils cause players leave but say nothing about the the one that leave Sheffield or there lost of sponsors

mazza03 said:
According to Simmsy he was with Whistle the other day and as far as Sims is concerned he (Sims) hasn't been out of the country so therefor Whis must be here???????
mazza, if your going off the pictures that Simmsey put on twitter they were taken at the play-off w/end.

With the playoffs not yet completed in North America player movements haven't really started yet. I think he is on the correct side of the pond for the recruitment side of things. Whistle likes a bargain we all know that and he has said he is looking for value, why rush?
I wouldn't be surprised if the Brits are signed and there being tactical with the press release.

Finny

Spearsy said:
With the playoffs not yet completed in North America player movements haven't really started yet. I think he is on the correct side of the pond for the recruitment side of things. Whistle likes a bargain we all know that and he has said he is looking for value, why rush?
I wouldn't be surprised if the Brits are signed and there being tactical with the press release.
Really?

Pretty much every facebook post or tweet by the club is getting replies asking when we are going to sign more players. You really think that if the club had signed up the brits they would be keeping it secret?

For all the poorly thought press releases they have put out in recent seasons - even they wouldn't be that stupid.

J.B said:
Why would he want to arrive before the end of July when most of the players will probably not arrive until late August?
I don't really now much about recruiting Hockey players, who on here does, really.

But going on assumptions, if I was called Regan and owned a hockey club called the Gods had little to no experience of Ice Hockey I would have certain employees who would be given roles to fulfil and targets to achieve, lets say recruitment.

I would want a report in person at least every 2 weeks on how this was going, I would expect to read that you'd watched a few games, seen players play, scouted around, I'd be seeing expenses showing that & that you'd spoke to people, you'd got a CV's for me to see and we together negotiate player terms and conditions face to face, then offer a contract to a potential player/s. In my world my coach would at least speak to people face to face in the off season.

Then again in my assumption, I'd have a training camp as I'd really hate to put a team together on paper and find in reality on ice they play like the mighty ducks and have issues with each other, loose 3 months worth of games trying to sort out issues and have the fans demonstrating outside the rink, my ego's to delicate for that kinda crap.

I have faith in Whistle, but his last post in Canada was as an assistant coach, the task may be beyond his control and capabilities through no fault of his.

mazza03

phil PLT said:
mazza03 said:
mazza, if your going off the pictures that Simmsey put on twitter they were taken at the play-off w/end.
Ah right, thanks Phil xx

Sheincar

I wouldn't want Ragan anywhere near player recruitment. He knows nothing about hockey and even less about individual players. I would expect Whistle to be given a budget and then left to make his own decisions, albeit with progress updates. I felt this was an interview Whistle didnt want and he doesnt seem to be particularly happy at having to return for the fixtures meeting at the beginning of July. I'm not sure who else he thought would be going mind!

kettdevil1

Sheincar said:
I wouldn't want Ragan anywhere near player recruitment. He knows nothing about hockey and even less about individual players. I would expect Whistle to be given a budget and then left to make his own decisions, albeit with progress updates. I felt this was an interview Whistle didnt want and he doesnt seem to be particularly happy at having to return for the fixtures meeting at the beginning of July. I'm not sure who else he thought would be going mind!
Yep, and the last time there was no representation from the Devils we got the worst fixture list I have ever seen...... It is vital that someone is there to fight for our interests and the head coach is the obvious person.

Have Hope#35

Sheincar said:
You say that but when interviewed on Inferno TV weeks ago Whistle said that he really wanted to be present at the Fixtures Meeting and that he wanted to make our main home match night a Saturday if possible... There was a long discussion about it on here! I agree he probably didn't want to take the call about Signing Progress mind.