Demise of MNL

KaneDevils said:
On the plus side we can report that on Saturday night for the game against the Storm we had our highest ever number of viewers with no less than 2,378 unique viewers.

We even had 1,803 last night.
Could you please explain this as I'm confused. Your saying, as well as there being 3,000 plus fans in the IAW, theres a further 2,000 plus following on MNL? I find that hard to believe, sorry. Whenever I'm following MNL theres about 16/25 online max? It also states on the homepage that the highest number of people online at the same time is 226.

I find your figures baffling.
But you don't have to be logged on to the Inferno to watch MNL. At least I don't. So most could be "off line" so to speak? I'm no expert in this stuff so forgive me if wrong. :oops:

Chris

Administrator
You'd be correct Tyke Devils, the forum and MNL were deliberately kept apart when myself and James relaunched The-Inferno back in the old days.

The actual MNL figure is just the number of people looking at it on a given night, on Mondays we tend to see somewhere between 100 and 400 people looking at MNL, I guess those are people who missed the game or are looking for something specific.

And I guess we have a lot of other teams fans clicking through on game nights, not just Devils fans even if they are/were always the primary target.

It helps that the season has been so close and that we've generally been playing so well. I'd say the MNL numbers are fairly accurate as when attendances dropped during 'that' season, I think the number of MNL viewers stayed the same and even increased for both home and away games.

Chris said:
You'd be correct Tyke Devils, the forum and MNL were deliberately kept apart when myself and James relaunched The-Inferno back in the old days.

The actual MNL figure is just the number of people looking at it on a given night, on Mondays we tend to see somewhere between 100 and 400 people looking at MNL, I guess those are people who missed the game or are looking for something specific.

And I guess we have a lot of other teams fans clicking through on game nights, not just Devils fans even if they are/were always the primary target.

It helps that the season has been so close and that we've generally been playing so well. I'd say the MNL numbers are fairly accurate as when attendances dropped during 'that' season, I think the number of MNL viewers stayed the same and even increased for both home and away games.
I love MNL......I go to 90% of games. Those I can't get to then I rely on you guys and the fans from all sides that help you/us out.

I sincerely hope that you can continue MNL next year.. Thanks for everything. Cheers.. TD

James

Administrator
Yep. The forum software we use is PHPBB. It tracks users of the forum only. MNL was written by myself and further optimised by theStub due to the fact that we effectively invite a denial of service attack on the server and the system was falling over at over 1500 people viewing. I've some plans to hopefully revamp the system over the summer (making it mobile friendly for one) maybe I'll add an active viewer number to it, to show how many people are watching at a given point. Either way the numbers are all down to OJs continual coverage and organisation of texters etc which has built it into what it is.

I found the signal in the rink baffling. I had fantastic signal in my seat including 4G right up until face off (step son was even watching Netflix on my phone) and then it all disappeared like they were using a signal blocker or something.

Hopefully it can be resolved. There were a lot of locked wifi networks in there - maybe a request could be made to give a handful of MNL messengers access to one of the many wifi networks to keep the service going?

dave

clairey_faerie said:
I found the signal in the rink baffling. I had fantastic signal in my seat including 4G right up until face off (step son was even watching Netflix on my phone) and then it all disappeared like they were using a signal blocker or something.

Hopefully it can be resolved. There were a lot of locked wifi networks in there - maybe a request could be made to give a handful of MNL messengers access to one of the many wifi networks to keep the service going?

The lockep Wifi is only interal (as the routers are on)for the moment i.e not connected to the outside world.

mazza03

I'm on EE and cannot get onto the net in most of Llandough and surrounding area, so much so I'm seriously considering changing to O2 or Vodafone. Any advice welcome.

Sorry gone a bit off topic. :eek:

KaneDevils

Thanks for explaining mnl figures in more depth. I understand it a bit more now. I just couldn't understand what o.j was saying when referring to the figures. Thought he had pressed too many zero's. I had assumed that if you were not logged in, you would just appear as a guest for mnl as well as the forum.

Thread starter #30
New record for MNL with Sundays memorable game in Dundee attracting no fewer than 2,757 viewers demolishing the previous record of 2,378 for the game against the Storm the previous weekend.

Can I say how much we owe the two texters for the game in Dundee - JohnWildthing & KettDevil.

Whist John (who was covering the Stars) was happy to keep quiet most of the time, only getting excited when the Stars drew a penalty Peter (KettDevil) had us on the edge of our seat for most of the game.

For the last five minutes I wasn't sure who was likely to suffer a cardiac arrest - the texter, the host or those of you following MNL.

In my 8 years as host it was the most tense game I can recall - on a par with the Wembley Final in 1990.

Just want to say thanks to everyone who keeps mnl running. I often log on, even if I'm watching the Webcast as well ... can't beat the 'ridiculously childish and disgustingly biased' commentary :)

wildthing74

Nott Simpson said:
New record for MNL with Sundays memorable game in Dundee attracting no fewer than 2,757 viewers demolishing the previous record of 2,378 for the game against the Storm the previous weekend.

Can I say how much we owe the two texters for the game in Dundee - JohnWildthing & KettDevil.

Whist John (who was covering the Stars) was happy to keep quiet most of the time, only getting excited when the Stars drew a penalty Peter (KettDevil) had us on the edge of our seat for most of the game.

For the last five minutes I wasn't sure who was likely to suffer a cardiac arrest - the texter, the host or those of you following MNL.

In my 8 years as host it was the most tense game I can recall - on a par with the Wembley Final in 1990.
You were lucky I even remembered to text that night it was so tense I really don't know how Pete managed to text so much?!

It's an invaluable service to those not there so hope we can keep it going and ideally get more texters to share the workload.Sunday was a night I will never forget and apologies if I was MIA at times as in that situation it's hard to focus on anything other than the score and the clock!

kettdevil1

Still can't believe how tense it was.... I think the celebrations when Hudsons goal went in were some of the best I have ever experienced.... Think texting was my way of coping with the stress!! Have to echo what John says, it is invaluable (especially if, like me, home games are a rarity) and it is really important to keep it going.

More texters would be great and actually in many ways, serving MNL is great fun and cathartic in situations such as Sunday!!

Russky

I was following MNL last sunday and was on the edge of my seat waiting for each text update posted by OJ.

Thanks to Steve and OJ and all the texters who have contributed and enabled all the hosts to cover the games on MNL, especially for those who cant get to the games or accesss the webcast for whatever reason. I have enjoyed my first season as one of the hostots of MNL, it has been great fun.

I for one hope to be one of those hosting MNL coverage next season. I am also hoping for improved phone network reception at the IAW, if not if we can somehow utilise the Public access WIFI facility, which I have been assured will be installed in time for next season.

Here is an idea. If the hosts of MNL posted from what they have seen on webcasts I think we would have a better up to date service. If the people who watch MNL contributed to the webcast payment via paypal it would cost next to nothing for them. I'd like to see it continue.