Devils and coach part ways

kingmo19.1

Bit confused by Todd’s statement:-

"It sucks being in a position when you have to make those decisions with people that you really like and respect," Kelman said.

"Jarrod Skalde is a really good person and he's a good coach and he did a good job for us.

"I think I've been doing this long enough, but I think the fans need to trust me and trust my decisions in certain aspects of the business.

"I just felt that moving forward, it just wasn't working and it was my choice. I stand by that decision, I really do.

"If experience has shown me anything, if you decide that you're not going to work with someone going forward, why work another day with them?

"If I don't think that we're going to work well together, going forward, I'm not going to work another day with you."

Says he’s a good coach and did a good job for us yet it wasn’t working ????

Would love to know what the “it” was.

Strange times - had we won the Challenge Cup I wonder if we’d be in this position?

No sackings for half a decade then a player and a coach in one season!

Fair to say quite a lot of pressure on whoever is coming in !!!!

It’s a bit like following Fergie at Man Utd.

jenks33

Re DuPont, I still think he carried an injury for most of his on ice time, but since then quite a few have been saying how professional he is as a coach and has a big future in that direction. I'm certainly seeing much better interviews.

also don't dispute at all that we were the third best team ( I did enjoy the shut outs in the house of rust though) that was where we had issues, consistency.
Fair enough.

Kevin roog

As much as results , it could be the snooze fest before Xmas and the rolling over a lot of the times up in Scotland , how many times” we came out flat”

jenks33

As much as results , it could be the snooze fest before Xmas and the rolling over a lot of the times up in Scotland , how many times” we came out flat”
That’s it. I remember thinking early on this season that silverware didn’t really bother me I just hoped we were entertaining to watch. Pre Coughler was like watching paint dry at times. I remember we went through a long stretch where we only scored 1 or 2 goals per game. And “coming out flat” was a problem from August to April.

ASHIPP

But for people making excuses about our injuries etc what about the other teams? Sheffield lost Connolly, Oleksuk and Deluca very early on this season (for one reason or another) and what kind of impact would they have had?! Connolly was a huge loss for them. And look at Darcy Murphy at Belfast? Missed half the games through injury and ended up scoring just 8 points in an injury ravaged season. A healthy darcy Murphy would have caused damage in this league. We can make all the excuses in the world but bottom line we were comfortably the third best team in the league this season.
But it's just as true for Devils as the Steelers...had we been able to ice a full compliment of players in that last month, how many of those lost games could and would our team have won? Only 7 points behind Steelers....that's 4 wins to overtake them (and some of our losses were in OT).
Don't think any team could have matched the Giants for consistency. All the Stars aligned at the right time for them. Even the Steelers fell away in the last 3 weeks.
Don't recall ever being promised that the Devils would win the League this season...and we shouldn't expect to either.

moggy#9

Re DuPont, I still think he carried an injury for most of his on ice time, but since then quite a few have been saying how professional he is as a coach and has a big future in that direction. I'm certainly seeing much better interviews.

also don't dispute at all that we were the third best team ( I did enjoy the shut outs in the house of rust though) that was where we had issues, consistency.
So he talks a good game? I think of like to see rather more evidence of his coaching skills.

Diablo3

So he talks a good game? I think of like to see rather more evidence of his coaching skills.
It's not looking too bad at the moment, since he took over our 1st period starts have been much better, which means the team have been properly motivated before they hit the ice. Then we stuff the Panthers in their own barn. Carry that over to the playoffs and we have a chance.

Mazzoak

Why should they have allowed him to complete the season? Clearly Kelman was going to get rid of Skalde even if we won the play offs so I’m not sure it matters. I believe Kelman had a big say in the signing of O’Connor and clearly Mikkelson was signed by the owners. I genuinely think all the other new North Americans to the league were Skalde’s signings though.
Respect, they recruited Skalde and have responsibility for that, also he’s contracted to complete the season.

jenks33

But it's just as true for Devils as the Steelers...had we been able to ice a full compliment of players in that last month, how many of those lost games could and would our team have won? Only 7 points behind Steelers....that's 4 wins to overtake them (and some of our losses were in OT).
Don't think any team could have matched the Giants for consistency. All the Stars aligned at the right time for them. Even the Steelers fell away in the last 3 weeks.
Don't recall ever being promised that the Devils would win the League this season...and we shouldn't expect to either.
But surely you don’t really believe we were still in it? Didn’t Belfast and/or Sheffield have about 5 games in hand on us at one stage. We were realistically out of the title race yonks ago. We needed two teams to fall of a cliff (results wise) not just one! And overall the standard of the league this season was poor. Understandably after covid. Still where as Panthers, Flames, Blaze were very dangerous in previous seasons they were all poor this year. No chance were Belfast/Sheffield slipping up.

moggy#9

But surely you don’t really believe we were still in it? Didn’t Belfast and/or Sheffield have about 5 games in hand on us at one stage. We were realistically out of the title race yonks ago. We needed two teams to fall of a cliff (results wise) not just one! And overall the standard of the league this season was poor. Understandably after covid. Still where as Panthers, Flames, Blaze were very dangerous in previous seasons they were all poor this year. No chance were Belfast/Sheffield slipping up.
Realistically the league was getting beyond us by the Xmas break given the points that see being dropped.

Kevin roog

More than any other season I can remember, there’s been quite a few goals with our goalie pulled, how many times have we played crap for 55 minutes and then scored 2,3,4 in the couple of minutes and thought “wow if only we started like that”

Mazzoak

Steve came on here and shut me down stating that as Owners and management they always aim for success every season and this season was no different. If it is more than a rumour that they placed sole recruitment responsibility onto Skalde and call his recruitment a punt then that can’t possibly be realistic.

jenks33

Steve came on here and shut me down stating that as Owners and management they always aim for success every season and this season was no different. If it is more than a rumour that they placed sole recruitment responsibility onto Skalde and call his recruitment a punt then that can’t possibly be realistic.
What can’t be realistic?