DEVILS @ BELFAST- 23rd December 2015- 7:00PM Chat / Updates

Devil94

Re: DEVILS @ BELFAST- 23rd December 2015- 7:00PM Chat / Upda

osh said:
Finny said:
I didn't watch the game, but is a 2-0 loss (one of which was an ENG) in Belfast really that bad to deserve half these comments?

Last season we mocked Sheffield fans for going crazy every time they lost a game, despite being top. Now several posters are trying to turn this forum into a similar place?

If last Friday we'd been offered two points from Nottingham and Belfast away in the space of five days would we really have been calling for changes?
Fair play Finny, have to admire your usual optimism. However, as you say, you didn't watch the game and therefore didn't witness a lifeless performance from the team who once again had a lot to thank Bowns for. As for wanting changes, I for one was calling for them long before the Nottingham game, so the answer to your question is a definite yes ! As always, you sound like a stuck record and are just papering over the obvious cracks that are getting wider and wider. Top of the league yes, but not for long based on these type of poor performances.
But you want changes to a team that has made it to the top regardless? Two poor performances and you'd think it's the end of the world. Just look around the league, everyone is beating everyone, no game is guaranteed, and every team gets off nights. Same goes for last year's team that there's so many comments on here about. Didn't win once in Belfast in the league, lost 11-0 to Sheffield?
And of course, this is coming off the best result of the year on Saturday, just 5 days ago.

Earnie

Some of the comments on the loss to Giants have been depressing.
Obviously it does not help our cause - but hey - how about that win in Nottingham.

august04 said:
mazza03 said:
august04 said:
Thank god the next couple of games are against Coventry. This team needs a spark of something different, starting with some physicality. Someone tough who can hit like a train but who can play too would be top of my Christmas list. I can't see it though as we're carrying spare players now. We've gone from being a fairly aggressive, physical team last year to hitting nothing this year and we were supposed to be tougher or so we were told! We may be top of the league but the Steelers and the Giants are winning their games in hand on us. With the threat from the Panthers too, we'd better make some improvements soon or we'll be heading South!!
But Blaze have turned their game around the last 10 days, if we play like we played on Sunday I can see us losing to them. :cry: :cry:
Yes they have turned it around but I still think we have a better chance of getting something out of those games than if we were playing the other Erhardt conference teams.
Blaze have hit a run of form as they did this time last year (they should start their season every December :lol: ) & with double headers coming up against Devils, Panthers & Giants they will have a big say in who goes into the new year topping the table. I think they will see this as a defining moment in their season where they can see a chance to move into the top 6 as they have games in hand over all of us (6 on Devils - tall order but if won would put them within 4 points plus results from next two games). A couple of weeks ago Panthers and Devils would have looked at this as a banker, well the fans would maybe not the coaches! I'm viewing our two fixtures with a bit of nervy edge now, hoping you can soften them up for us a little & take the wind out of their sails. Otherwise they'll be facing us with their tails up. I share your frustrations with form, ours has been erratic the last few weeks after looking unbeatable with some amazing turnarounds thrown in. That's hockey though & the reason we love it is it keeps us on the edge of our seats, never a dull moment! Chin up though by New Year your rollercoaster could be at the crest again eh? ;)

My assessments so far...

Good points
Bowns has been absolutely fantastic this year - I'm scared within a year or two we'll lose him to another league. It's scary how good he is getting.
Hervato is a gem - never noticed him until he was a devil
On the whole I'm pleased with the defence (with help from Bowns) - Bar that crazy Marsh-Hendrikx combination we saw a while back
Our little guys are really hustling and standing their ground - Doucet, Martin etc.
We're top of the league

Bad points
Hendrikx aside we're playing like a bunch of pussies, and are more likely to tickle the opposition than lay a hit.
I don't think we're getting the best out of Doucet (Line combinations?)
Salters is far to inconsistent - unnoticeable for 4 games then unplayable for 2 ...he's turned it on lately, but I just hope the Salters from the start of the season doesn't re-appear.

On a separate note, no devils team I have ever seen would watch their captain get knocked out cold and not do anything about it - deserved or not. Disgraceful.

jimmy snels

I think that sums it up for me to. Euro hockey with a few fights once the opposition get stuck into us.
Your side note also deserved to be brought up and im still shaking my head in disbelief what happened in Nottingham. Team orders or not someone should have done something. I don't want to ever see that again.

august04

scottydoesntknow said:
My assessments so far...

Good points
Bowns has been absolutely fantastic this year - I'm scared within a year or two we'll lose him to another league. It's scary how good he is getting.
Hervato is a gem - never noticed him until he was a devil
On the whole I'm pleased with the defence (with help from Bowns) - Bar that crazy Marsh-Hendrikx combination we saw a while back
Our little guys are really hustling and standing their ground - Doucet, Martin etc.
We're top of the league

Bad points
Hendrikx aside we're playing like a bunch of pussies, and are more likely to tickle the opposition than lay a hit.
I don't think we're getting the best out of Doucet (Line combinations?)
Salters is far to inconsistent - unnoticeable for 4 games then unplayable for 2 ...he's turned it on lately, but I just hope the Salters from the start of the season doesn't re-appear.

On a separate note, no devils team I have ever seen would watch their captain get knocked out cold and not do anything about it - deserved or not. Disgraceful.
Difficult to argue with any of that.
I'd add Kurka to the inconsistent/not getting the best out of list. I expected a lot more from him this season.

Wannabe2

Ocko said:
The worst thing is, Belfast would've been expecting a war. Our reputation means teams and fans think we are a tough team who turn up every night, but sadly that hasn't been the case far too often this year. The Giants would've left that rink laughing at what an easy night they had. If anyone left with a bruise it certainly wasn't from one of our players. The only player with any physicality recently is Hendrikx, he's carrying the team in this department.

Hate to say it but this team is missing a player like Janssen or Lloyd. They don't have to be the best hockey player but give 100% and make opponents look over their shoulder. Whilst they won't light up the scoreboard their contribution is important to their team's success. They can be catalysts for so many other good things.

As Jimmy said, all our forwards are trying to play a similar game, one that maybe isn't suited. I'd prefer us to play with a real 3rd line who will go out and send a message; work hard and battle and show some grit. Chuck Salters, Haddad and Hervato out on a line and tell them to get some energy going. Forget trying to play like Datsuk every game and do what they were brought in for.
Totally agree except no one is sending out a message, and if they have to be told that, then that is a very sad state of affairs, surely this either comes naturally or it don't, and unfortunately it seems it don't. Now we don't have a God given right to beat anyone, we all know that, but most people don't mind losing if we go down fighting, but come on there's losing and theres not showing up. We are better than this otherwise we would be 7th/8th in the league.

ASHIPP

Can't call this inconsistency a blip anymore. A team serious about challenging in all competitions needs to at least put down markers against teams they might meet in the later stages..if our team are good enough to get there. The frustrating thing is that they ARE good enough. Reminds me of a phrase G used a few seasons ago when,after a poor run in the league, the Devils reached the CC Final- he said he didn't know which Devils' team was going to turn up.

Ben Bowns and Joey Martin are the only players performing with consistency. Thought the team were carrying extra imports to cover injury and fatigue but obviously that is no guarantee of continuity. Panthers and Steelers have both improved lately....wins for them squander any games in hand advantage the Devils have.
Being top of the league brings all sorts of pressures. Whilst the team cannot be expected to win every game the team are criticised for not doing enough...or even trying too hard.

Regroup and back to basics please...simple play with intensity. Whatever is wrong, only they can fix it.

A day later and still can't believe that cost me £8 to watch. I've spent way too much watching subpar performances this year and will be sticking to highlights for a while. I have watched winning seasons and losing seasons which is fine. I can't watch a boring season though. You have to give people a reason to come to the new rink.

Had to laugh at Finny's comment though. Same boring devils advocate crap I always see from him and he didn't even watch the game!!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

august04 said:
Difficult to argue with any of that.
I'd add Kurka to the inconsistent/not getting the best out of list. I expected a lot more from him this season.

I agree with that to an extent, but I held back a little bit with fear of being branded a negative poster who only posts when we lose:

For me the frustrating thing is that I don't feel as though I've seen this team play to it's potential just yet ...and more concerning, half way through the season, I still don't think we know what our best line combinations are - throw in the lack of physicality and I can completely see where people are coming from in regards to entertainment or lack thereof.

At times, I have watched Kurka in pure disbelief as he pulls of something crazy, but like you mentioned, I feel that he could be a victim of the lines. I know he's prone to a sloppy pass, but when I think of Kurka, I think sublime and i'd definitely be scared if he was an opposing player.

On paper Salters - Kurka - Doucet would be an incredible line, but then again, I'm not the coach, and games aren't played on paper.

For the statos out there and anyone else who may be interested...

Having done a bit of research and totaled the amount of home/away wins/losses and noted the conference per win/loss (cup+league) there really isn't much between ours and Nottingham's stats. I see them as our main challenger for the title, the frustrating thing is we have all the ingredients to break away but we haven't managed to.

Cardiff
Erhardt Home Win = 8 (89%)
Erhardt Home Loss = 1

Gardiner Home Win = 6 (86%)
Gardiner Home Loss = 1

Erhardt Away Win = 4 (36%)
Erhardt Away Loss = 7

Gardiner Away Win = 5 (63%)
Gardiner Away Loss = 3

Nottingham

Erhardt Home Win = 5 (56%)
Erhardt Home Loss = 4

Gardiner Home Win = 6 (100%)
Gardiner Home Loss = 0

Erhardt Away Win = 3 (33%)
Erhardt Away Loss = 6

Gardiner Away Win = 5 (71%)
Gardiner Away Loss = 2

So in total that's:

Cardiff Total
14 home wins (88%), 2 home losses
10 away wins (53%), 9 away losses

Nottingham Total
11 home wins (73%), 4 home losses
8 away wins (50%), 8 away losses

We're hanging on at the top and grinding out results - I just hope it isn't a season where we compromise our identity in order to do that.

- For the record, I am a massive Andrew Lord fan and couldn't be happier with him as coach!

august04

Rabbitohs4 said:
Who ever said I'm glad we got Coventry this weekend are stupid.. They have won 3 games in a row..
2 games, 2 wins, 4 points. I might be stupid (!) but I'll happily take that... ;)