Devils coach 10/11 season

osh

Kettdevil 1; You took the time to make very valid points, agree with 80% so looks like we are wanting more or less the same things.

Koop11

This thread has been an interesting read. There is clearly deep frustration which the vast majority of us are feeling but I think we need to take a step back for a moment and look at the wider picture.

Firstly, removing a coach at this point of the season is quite frankly pointless and would be a knee jerk reaction. I appreciate that in other sports such as football this happens and I accept in some circumstances this can turn a team’s seasons around but in these sports there are coaches/potential coaches at your disposal. This is the Elite Ice Hockey League and its poorly run. Ice hockey is a minority sport in this country and therefore the wealth of qualified coaches available mid season is scarce to say the least. Those qualified enough would have to be brought in from overseas and demand a huge wage, let alone the cost of buying them out of their current contract. Removing Gerad now and replacing him with just anyone is stupid, simple as.

Let’s have some perspective here. No we don’t know actual salary amounts but it doesn’t take a genius to realise the both Belfast and Nottingham are spending a lot more than most other clubs. Coventry are also up there with some big wages when you look at their goalie, their core forward line up and their British contingent. We too have probably spent more this Elite League season than ever before but I would suggest that this is less than the 3 named teams above. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, I personally never expected this team to win the league. A top 3 for me was a target we should have been looking for. That is still up for grabs although admittedly looking less likely. However, with the possibility of the 3 teams above us spending more on wages then should we be surprised with our current 4th place position?

We’re in the CC final and the playoffs is an opportunity for any team to challenge the end of season silverware. With all this in mind, why would sacking the coach now be a bold move. I appreciate we are inconsistent and that can be even more frustrating that being consistently bad but breaking up the current team is something I don’t feel will achieve anything at this moment in time.

Next season – with growing pressure on Gerad I feel he will need to win some silverware this year for him to keep fans on board. It is the paying fan that drives decisions in any sporting set up. Gerad will no doubt already be in negotiations with players for next season and this will be another factor the management will need to consider when looking at the coaching set up for 2010/2011.

ASHIPP

Spot on, Finny and Koop! Nuff said. As ever the voices of reasoned arguement. :cool:

Whatever happens next year, there are possibly going to be 4 'natural' player vacancies to replace anyway......Vother might retire, and our current 3 import dmen will have finished their studies and may not want to return. And it seems pretty clear that Matt Burge supports G and that would suggest he is seen as coach for the full 3 year plan.

E.D.S.

Sorry Ashipp. Not in total agreement with you on this one. I do agree that Koop is the voice of reason on many occasion, even Finny has come up with some good points (incredible, next you'll be telling me that women can vote!! Only joking Finny. You did make some fair points).
Koop - I see your point about the budget implications and availability issues of top coaches but I still think something should be done now, in time for next season. I don't want to wait for until the start of the season after next to have a new coach to have found his feet and had the summer to recruit before we can properly class ourselves fit and ready for the season ahead. For me that happened at the start of this season and what has been delivered so far hasn't been enough for me.
Again I take your point about the money the 'top 3' have spent but my challenge is the gap that exists between us and the top 3. I appreciate that we're not really likely to break the top 3 hold but I would expect us to be a lot closer than we are. That for me is the success criteria. 'How close to those three can we get?' should be our measure. As it stands we're currently in danger of being over taken by Edinburgh. Edinburgh on paper at the start of the season is a bottom 1 or 2 club but look at what solid coaching has got them this year.....and that is what I think we are now lacking. We lack direction, motivation and an ability to take a game by the scruff of the neck. Our bench seems uncoordinated and lacking ideas.
Appreciate I'm currently in the minority here but such is the beauty of a forum.
A good discussion though folks.

steve

if they terminated G's contract, there would be compensation to pay (unless G's contract is different to every other sports coach out there), that compensation i would suggest would be at least the same as his comparative salary to the end of the season.

the only remotely likely chance we would have for a replacement now would be if G resigned, and with respect, no pro-hockey player/coach is going to forego their pay during the regular season, however much pressure they may be under. This sport does not have the luxury of being able to go through coaches, like it or not, the ball is in G's corner, and the club can't do anything about it.

E.D.S. said:
Koop - I see your point about the budget implications and availability issues of top coaches but I still think something should be done now, in time for next season.
Okay..where do you think we would get a coach from who would be willing to move over here mid season to take over the coaching job ? If they are already free to come over,why are they not already in a coaching job ? Who would pay the cost to bring over the new coach (As i doubt we would find one in the UK).
Also who would pay their salary ? it wouldnt exactly look good on the club to sack G a week after the transfer deadline .Plus any compensation to G or the new coaches club.

I am not disagreeing with your view i just think that the basics need to be looked at.

ASHIPP

Getting a new coach is a disruptive gamble that may not pay off. Any available replacement doesn't always mean a GOOD replacement, does it? :?
So the Coach has got to get to grips with the current situation - benching players, making them accountable, instilling some pride. Let's face it, players hoping to get a contract next season with any team is going to need to impress consistently as it will be soon be time for next year's negociations.
Fact is, the team have proved that they have skill...... when they are organised, motivated and all reading from the same hymn sheet, they CAN perform really well.

I was going to post that too, some very harsh criticism there which is good to see and needed i think, im hoping a wake up call has been sent to the team. They really need to step things up and hopefully that can begin this weekend, it would be nice to end this rollercoaster of a season on a high.

Good points in the echo. Ima strong beliver this season that everyones hype of having Max and Smith back was a huge dissapointment. They are not the the two who we had first time round and also it looks like second term max also.

Hand down would have had Pirps over Smithy even with the do called dispute with Hartwick.

Vother has not been the normal guy and i think its his last season here.

My biggest worry if losing Jarvis and Hartwick. Thank god we already have Lyle, finners and possible Michel signed up for next season.

Im all for a new coach next season and a lot of new faces on the team. Its a constant occurance now that our Brits worl and play a dam lot harder than out sometimes over paid imports

Burgy said:
Good points in the echo. Ima strong beliver this season that everyones hype of having Max and Smith back was a huge dissapointment. They are not the the two who we had first time round and also it looks like second term max also.

Hand down would have had Pirps over Smithy even with the do called dispute with Hartwick.

Vother has not been the normal guy and i think its his last season here.

My biggest worry if losing Jarvis and Hartwick. Thank god we already have Lyle, finners and possible Michel signed up for next season.

Im all for a new coach next season and a lot of new faces on the team. Its a constant occurance now that our Brits worl and play a dam lot harder than out sometimes over paid imports
Sorry mate... Pirps over Smith... I don't think so. Only my opinion of course.

Koop11

I’m a big fan of Pirps but there is no way I’d take him over Smithy. Despite Smithy’s disappointing points production this season, he still covers a lot of ice, has an abundance of skill and is the best back checker I’ve seen since Doug McEwen. The problem Smithy has is despite the strengths in his game, he cannot hit a barn door when it comes to finishing.

ASHIPP

Signing any player is a gamble - especially if they are being signed based on their performance for the Devils a few years ago. In our ice hockey dreams, I think many of us would love to see a team of former Devils' players and Welsh home talent. Simple thought but surely considerations for signing a player include their immediate previous season form, and their level of fitness? Whilst the Devils have the luxury of keeping players like Ryan, Stevie and hopefully Tylor and some of the others for next season, in the end no-one is indispensible (unless they are Colin Shields or Luke Fulghum!) so we have to expect few new faces next year. If the Devils lose Jarvo and Hartwick, it will be a big blow but G hopeully will have others on the radar if he can't persuade them to stay. :?

E.D.S.

I thought it appropriate to write my comment on this thread. The jury is now out for me on whether we need a change. I'm now not 100% convinced that G should be replaced and neither am I convinced that G is the man for the job but at least I've changed my stance from a definite "he should go". This isn't based on recent results, don't get me wrong they have been fantastic and the win last night tops it all off (just got back from Chav land as I opted to crash in hotel - much kudos to those who braved the weather) but I would like to give G credit for making the tough decisions. I was the first to applaud his handling of the Prpich saga and now making the decision to take the captaincy from Voth, benching the under performers and no doubt working hard behind the scenes has seen a remarkable change in performance. I just wish this was done earlier.

G credit where it is due, you're not afraid to make those decisions. Looking forward to viewing game on sky later. I may even have to un-mute it! Why can't sky get Brent to do the commentary? You can still keep that idioit Simms to do the interviews but Brent would bring that touch of class and professionalism that is seriously lacking!

Well done guys - great performances of late