Devils @ Coventry - Sunday 12th Oct - 5:15pm - Chat/Updates

Ocko

Re: Devils @ Coventry - Sunday 12th Oct - 5:15pm - Chat/Upda

Andrew Lord is on fire this year; 6+10 in 12 games puts him tied for 3rd in the league for points, while still being one of the most physical players. Whilst not wanting to play down G's on ice contribution, it's is incredibly handy that this year our player coach is now also one of our best players.

ASHIPP

Great weekend. Well done Devils...a good road game and two valuable points. Can't believe people are moaning about lack of killer finish. :DWD
Devils on a pk at end of that game and stopped the Blaze with an extra skater from scoring.

10 goals in 2 games. Team can only play what's in front of them. Gotta be happy with that.

Ps Happy Birthday Joey Haddad

Wannabe2

TheStub said:
We just got sent this - the ownership enjoying the game (and Match Night Live) :RAWK in London :D

Hope they don't mind me putting this up :D
Where's there shirts.

davew

davew said:
looked at the inferno stats quickly and failed to see the L in the final column....sorry :oops:

" 9th Mar 2013 Coventry Blaze Cardiff Devils League (Elite) 3 4 L"

Unable to edit post.

Having double checked Finny's stats for the earlier seasons the results show home team W or L not the devils. The record does appear to be intact.

KaneDevils

Can't believe people are moaning about lack of killer finish. :DWD
People WERE moaning (commenting) about a lack of killer instinct. To be fair, at the time, it was fair comment. Nobody disagreed anyway.

TheStub

ASHIPP said:
Can't believe people are moaning about lack of killer finish. :DWD
I think it was a valid comment. For much of the game the Devils played with a single goal lead. With the chances and possession Devils enjoyed Blaze should have been down and out very early - as it was they felt they could still make it a competition late in the third.

There never really was a threat from the Blaze. But one bad turn over or unlucky bounce and Blaze could have snuck a point.

I don't think we have yet seen what this Devils square can do. Later in the season I could see that being 3-0 Devils at the end of the first and good night Vienna.

kettdevil1

It felt so good to be sitting there knowing that, if needed, we had at least 2 more gears to go through..... I can't remember a game at the Skydome that we dominated so much! I take the point about the finishing but to be fair Stewart made a number of very good saves, we had one goal given (then scratched out) and the ice at both ends looked ropey in the extreme which made smooth passing tricky.

Lord, Haddad, Clarkson and others are dominating great stretches of games at the moment, wearing down the opposition and we made a pretty decent team look very average tonight.

Good times are here again :D

Finny

davew said:
looked at the inferno stats quickly and failed to see the L in the final column....sorry :oops:

" 9th Mar 2013 Coventry Blaze Cardiff Devils League (Elite) 3 4 L"
Isn't that March anyway?

I think though we lost to them last year in OT or pens. So we've always got at least a point from it.

wildthing74

Although it was only a 2 goal win it never felt like we weren't going to take the points. We controlled play from the puck drop and as been said Stewart saved a more 1 sided score line.

Having lost only 1 league game(haven't checked but according to a Blaze mate) I was expecting them to come out flying especially having lost Saturday but they offered nothing.We managed to kill penalties easily too and we saw very little of the like of Tendler & Rawlyk who normally do a job on us.I know we take the p out of hoe quiet the Blaze fans are every game but it was as if they were there expecting us to win too and not a murmur all night,pretty bizarre for a team that's had a great start.

I like the new lines too. Certainly Walton & Culligan are benefitting from Mychan's speed,aggression and just generally working his bag off every shift and Haddad brings the 3rd line looking more likely to score goals especially when Myers is back.The second again looked like the line that will win us a lot of games and will be stronger than a lot of teams second unit.

I loved our D playing a tight aggressive game and Batch & Hotham in particular I thoyght had their best games of the season and Bowns had little to do as we moved the traffic in front of him.Clearly the defence is growing in confidence in Ben and likewise he's showing to be the astute signing we hoped for.

Early days obviously but I love how the fans every game are coming away saying the same things about how there's not 1 guy on the team that don't rate or any player that's looked out of place.Clearly they play as s team,act like a team and have a great camaraderie with each other.
Kudos to Franny & Andrew in recruiting a great group especially in half the time you normally get and I don't see too many fans missing the players they were brought in to replace.

Wannabe2

Trouble is you wish half your life away waiting for the weekend to come so you can see this awesome team again. What a great situation to be in, you got to love it.
Happy Hockey Days.

ASHIPP

The Guys are buying in to Andrew's philosophy of getting better every game. Completely refreshing to see that they learn from previous games and that Andrew is so proactive in
in quickly making changes/ trying new things.

What is fantastic to see is genuine chemistry developing there. Franny can send out any combination pairing of defencemen and they will play well together. Ben's confidence and performance is growing every game and our forward lines hopefully will settle with the changes.

Apart from Mac, of course and possibly Ben Davies, would we want any of the previous players back? No because they wouldn't be good enough by this team's standards.

Ocko

BostonBart22 said:
defo not phil hill, chris blight maybe though.
I would agree with you had I not had the past few months to look at our roster. I would've loved Blight back a few months ago but now I wouldnt take him over any of our current group of players. With the league stepping up a level this year I think we needed a different type and ability of player. I like Chris but I dont know where he would fit in.

wildthing74

I like Blighter too but again I wouldn't give up any of our guys. The only line I see him working on would be feeding Walton but Culligan deserves his place in the team.

Great to get the W in Coventry! Felt we dominated the game.. Especially when Clarkson was out we did not seem to leave there zone! The team is playing well together and great things to come!

Devils totally deserved the win. You controlled the possession and always looked like the team that was going to win.

From a blaze point of view despite our league results (All 5 W's against other conference) you know something isn't quite right when your nettie keeps getting Man of the match. We offer very little going forward, and very little physicality considering we were led to believe it would be a blue collar in your face gritty team.

All credit to devils, you have an exciting team.

Echo all the sentiments here. We looked in control for the vast majority of the game. The only time I felt uneasy was a few rushes by Tanaka. As KettDevil stated - it was great to feel comfortable that we'd get the win.

The one thing I noticed was how many draws Coventry won. I'd love to see official stats, but it must have been something like 65-35. Our guys won the puck back quickly, but against the better sides, we'll need to step up in that area. Not a criticism - just an observation.

And what (tf) was that radio-controlled puck delivery thing? Talk about segueing a sponsor any which way you can !

Great night - and our fans were in full voice. STEEEEEEEWART !

wildthing74

I think part of the problem for losing a lot of draws was Myers being out. I'd take him at a face off over most players.

Was funny though getting in Stewart's head. It's too easy doing that in Coventry with their goalies these days :lol: