Devils Hall Of Fame

Would retired jerseys have automatic entry and then a few every year or so? Just wondering how it would operate. Can't argue with those 3 suggestions though.

dave

Thread starter #23
danhall76 said:
Would retired jerseys have automatic entry and then a few every year or so? Just wondering how it would operate. Can't argue with those 3 suggestions though.
Yes they would.. each year would look to induct 3/4 depending of course if it gets the
Go ahead etc

voth, maxi, stone, adams possibly stuuuu, only 3 seasons but a great player

future considerations, richie, davies, lordo if he comes home

the almost but not quite... lyle, smith brothers,

off ice mike ackland and viv

There should be a panel who votes/agrees for one ex player and one non player (off ice staff/volunteer) to enter each year.

Adding 4 a year will devalue it's presence, there should also be criteria which should be met for entry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ocko

tigertemme said:
voth, maxi, stone, adams possibly stuuuu, only 3 seasons but a great player

future considerations, richie, davies, lordo if he comes home

the almost but not quite... lyle, smith brothers,

off ice mike ackland and viv
I'd definitely have Lyle in there, IMO there's a fair argument that he would have more justification than all mentioned bar Stoney. He's the most successful product of our Junior Development and 10 seasons with us, spanning 3 different decades - during successful eras too.

Koop11

Hynod said:
There should be a panel who votes/agrees for one ex player and one non player (off ice staff/volunteer) to enter each year.

Adding 4 a year will devalue it's presence, there should also be criteria which should be met for entry.

Agree with this. I think there needs to be a set criteria and it be clear how this differentiates from testimonials and shirt retirements (in respect of players).

How a panel is nominated is another question to be considered. Would this panel be elected every couple of seasons….?

The Devils Hall of Fame a is a nice idea but I think it should be prestigious enough that is not full of entries within a couple of seasons. We are still a very young hockey club in the hockey world and yet we have already had several jersey retirements and testimonials. There is a risk we can devalue the honours we have given worthy Devils legends.

I do think the concept of the Devils Hall of Fame including non players is a good way to honour those who have put huge amount of time and effort into the club.

Personally I feel Stone and Lyle shoukd be first on the list. Stoney's record of commitment to the club linked to his being local and an early product of our junior development system makes him an obvious choice, but also, while Stevie has moved away on a number of occasions, he has been involved in so many of the historic parts of Devils history and has an incredible record with us since breaking into the team as a young teenager that surely his inclusion is as given?
For me other than those guys who built the foundations and success of the team at the start and have theyre shirts retired I think that pretty much puts these two in a box on there own in our honours list,

Oh and Franny of course, but he is currently writing the chapter that I think justifies his inclusion more than any other and so maybe its to early for him.

dave

Thread starter #31
Koop11 said:
Hynod said:

Agree with this. I think there needs to be a set criteria and it be clear how this differentiates from testimonials and shirt retirements (in respect of players).

How a panel is nominated is another question to be considered. Would this panel be elected every couple of seasons….?

The Devils Hall of Fame a is a nice idea but I think it should be prestigious enough that is not full of entries within a couple of seasons. We are still a very young hockey club in the hockey world and yet we have already had several jersey retirements and testimonials. There is a risk we can devalue the honours we have given worthy Devils legends.

I do think the concept of the Devils Hall of Fame including non players is a good way to honour those who have put huge amount of time and effort into the club.
100 % agree. It is why we have gone to the club with an initial concept, From there if it gets a go ahead then the Devil will be in the details etc
I.E Panel, Voting structure, The award itself, Presentations etc
I am sure if it does happen it will be done right.
The last thing anyone would want is for the award to be devalued in any way both to the club and the person it was awarded to.

Love this idea, and I have spoken with "Dave" about this before.

Definitely needs to be a criteria set - where that bar is can be discussed further when given the go ahead.

Shirt retirements should automatically go in as part of the initial names, along with a handful of some other "legends" (i.e Stoney, Cooper Brothers, Vother etc) but a mixture of on and off ice people upto say a Maximum of 10 or 15 to kick off the Hall of Fame.

Then induct one or two per year Maximum. But I would be cautious about letting the fans vote en mass for something like this - they tend to be "flavour of the month" type results then, and the majority of fans now do not have any idea of who people like Ken Hodge are etc.

Hope this does take off successfully though ;)