Devils @ Panthers Friday 4th March

James

Administrator
Thread starter #21
Well that's depressing. I can only assume it's a deliberate ploy to make the last few weeks as nerve wracking as possible. Let's hope they pick themselves up for Sunday.

Sometime it just goes one team's way on the night and there's nothing much you can do; however this sounds like a poor performance.
Let's not implode like the Squeelers fans and get behind the team and lift them to the Cup and towards the title!

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

ASHIPP

Hard to believe this is the same Panthers team the Devils were beating with confidence on earlier occassions this season. The Panthers certainly dominated tonight.

And those are the two problems our Team seem to be facing at the worst time in the season - several teams have now hit good form and the Devils appear to have lost their confidence and direction.

Hope they can get over this and throw everything at Sunday.After tonight they will certainly have seen what they need to do against the opposition.

osh

Once again we cough up so many pucks to the opposition it's laughable and totally unacceptable. I said before, our defence is like a second hand colander at the moment, players just not doing the simple things that ultimately cost us goals. It also has to be said our forwards are going through a drought at the moment also. We have lost our last 3 league games, conceding 11 and only scoring 3 !! Lord must be tearing his hair out. We are doing our best to blow any chance of winning the main trophy - the league title - this season, and certain players are not doing their chances of being re signed next season any good at all. I'll be there again on Sunday, hoping that we can retain the CC, but based upon last nights dire showing, we need a change of game plan for sure. As for someone saying now is the time to get behind the team etc, well, we've been doing that all season, however, fans can only do so much, once the guys hit the ice, it's up to them. Hindsight is a great thing, so for those who were gloating and accusing other teams of 'bottling it', have a look closer to home eh, because that's what we appear to be doing at the moment.
I must mention how good Myers was once again last night. What a mistake it was to let him return to Nottingham this season when we could so easily of kept him. He is as good as an import, wins most face offs, is strong and scores vital goals - something sadly lacking in our Brit forwards - and proved that again last night. The Devils tried to retain him on the cheap and fair play to him he went where somebody appreciated his worth. We now have to win all our remaining games to win the league, can't see it happening but would be ecstatic to be proven wrong.

Kipper

Cardiff Devils are a good team but so are every other team at the top end of the table. We have no divine right to have everything going our own way.All teams have peaks and troughs during a season. Unfortunately we are not on a good run now. The team is the same as that which went on a winning streak. It's sport and we are still in the mix. Makes for an exciting end to the season.

osh said:
I must mention how good Myers was once again last night. What a mistake it was to let him return to Nottingham this season when we could so easily of kept him. He is as good as an import, wins most face offs, is strong and scores vital goals - something sadly lacking in our Brit forwards - and proved that again last night. The Devils tried to retain him on the cheap and fair play to him he went where somebody appreciated his worth. We now have to win all our remaining games to win the league, can't see it happening but would be ecstatic to be proven wrong.
If I remember correctly, it was the shabby way that Devils treated his brother Joe that determined Myers falling out of love with the club.

Morning
Just like to say thanks to all of the folks that organise and contribute to the MNL, your efforts are much appreciated

ASHIPP

number4 said:
osh said:
If I remember correctly, it was the shabby way that Devils treated his brother Joe that determined Myers falling out of love with the club.
There is no doubt that Myers' absence from our team left a hole and his departure has been debated at length on here. An excellent, gritty forward with net presence and superb on face-offs.
. However he spent over a third of last season injured or suspended which didn't help the team. Lord,IIRC, qualified Myers' departure by saying the club was going with 10 import forwards this season. Pretty sure that was said in an offseason interview.

Ocko

Not an acceptable performance. A full week off, practicing on big ice, on the back of losses, clinging to title hopes meant this team should've come out flying. They didn't and there are now huge question marks over their mental toughness.

We made excuses for the Sheffield loss, they played a blinder (beat comfortably by Coventry next game). Excuses for the Fife loss, Fife in great form (hammered by Sheffield) and then tiredness for the Coventry loss when Sheffield and Nottingham had very similar schedules.

The management have given them every chance to be successful; spare imports so we're never short, flights rather than bus journeys and the fans have supported them unequivocally and create the best atmosphere in the league. The buck stops at the players here and they need to show some metal and toughness.

Gaz G

Ocko said:
Not an acceptable performance. A full week off, practicing on big ice, on the back of losses, clinging to title hopes meant this team should've come out flying. They didn't and there are now huge question marks over their mental toughness.

We made excuses for the Sheffield loss, they played a blinder (beat comfortably by Coventry next game). Excuses for the Fife loss, Fife in great form (hammered by Sheffield) and then tiredness for the Coventry loss when Sheffield and Nottingham had very similar schedules.

The management have given them every chance to be successful; spare imports so we're never short, flights rather than bus journeys and the fans have supported them unequivocally and create the best atmosphere in the league. The buck stops at the players here and they need to show some metal and toughness.
How very dare you.

Wannabe2

Ocko said:

Can't argue with that one little bit, it's spot on sorry to say.

Form is a funny thing, one minute you are flying high scoring goals for fun and the next it is gone and you can’t guy a win for love or money.
But a loss of form does not make you a bad team and as quickly as it goes it can return, each team only has so many goals in them for a season, and Nottingham used up six of theirs last night.
I know it’s very difficult but stay positive, the Devils will turn this around and it could be much sooner than you think.

osh

number4 said:
osh said:
Mmm, not the way it was actually. First of all, I can assure you he never 'fell out of love with the club", and still hasn't. Joe was not the reason he left the club. Quite simply, the club tried to get him on the cheap, he wouldn't accept it and got a better offer from Nottingham. There is still time for him to come back if the right offer was made and let's be frank, he would be a better proposition than both of our Brit forwards put together. I know others will say they do a great job etc, but add up their on ice time and their returns and I know who I would have in my line up.

Slartibartfast

I still think its down to the line combinations. I would like to see Martin Salters and Doucet back together. That is an awesome first line
Second line Haddad, Kurka and Russell
Third Lord Morrissete and Hervato

ASHIPP

Slartibartfast said:
I still think its down to the line combinations. I would like to see Martin Salters and Doucet back together. That is an awesome first line
Second line Haddad, Kurka and Russell
Third Lord Morrissete and Hervato
These were the most productive combinations during the team's sucessful period in Jan/Feb. Can't fathom why changes were made to that in recent games.

Lines were
Morisette-Martin-Lord
Kurka-Russell-Haddad
Salters-Culligan-Doucet

Made the trip and we looked lazy, sloppy and a team fresh out of ideas and confidence. Bowns didn't have his best game but neither did the entire roster.

Russell looked to create something on every shift, sign that man now.

jimmy snels

The myres thing annoys me. We are carrying spare imports through out. We talk about injuries then bring back walton who we knew had knackered knees (and promptly missed 80% of the season) and an injured culligan. Suspensions dont effect import numbers so dont leave you short unlike fournier and marsh to name a couple recently. The one thing you can count on is a committed performance from myres and unlike a spare import he could play all the time!

Mental toughness and poor tactical changes need to be questioned. Two years in a row we've started to bottle it. Come on lads get us over the line!!

Finny

number4 said:
osh said:
Joe was treated badly by the previous management.