Devils Sign Bode Wilde

Rempel16

I think he’s exactly what we need right now, a potentially highly skilled, big D man who is solid at both ends of the ice. That's not to say we don’t need another player with a physical presence because I think we need that type of player too, in addition to this guy.
I’ve no issue with our transition game. The d-men in the offensive zone have been ok.

We are missing a big, calm, stay at home defenceman.

Bode isn’t that (194 pounds isn’t a big body). In fact he’s lighter than Crawford and Rymsha.

I do think that if there’s a possibility of getting the next Gleason Fournier then he’s worth taking a punt on, he is clearly capable of being a star in this league.

Devil94

Hmm. Just been trying to find info on Bode and there's some off ice stuff there that's causing some concern to me. I'm sure his on ice performances will be fine but hopefully he won't have a negative impact in other ways.

Devils86

Yes a quick google reveals some issues with performance against high expectations. Let's hope we are the spot for him to reignite his career

E.D.S.

Bode isn't quite the stay at home D I think we need but let's see what happens. This opportunity could be exactly what he needs to kick start things and hopefully, exactly what we need, proving that I know absolutely nothing. Just hope this isn't because Donghey is out long term.

'Head Coach Pete Russell spoke about signing Bode Wilde:

“We have played an incredible amount of hockey recently and that has inevitably seen us pick up a number of injuries, further increasing the strain on the available players." '

Reads like he's been signed as another body rather than anyone is immediately on their way out, who knows what will happen when everyone is back to fitness though with 3 spares. Hope we can keep the squad depth as deep as possible

Mooney#16

Strikes me this guy has been chewed up by the NA meat grinder especially at the hands of Lou. Appears his game has got lost along the way. Hopefully being here with lower expectations he can re find his game and start to make progress back towards his potential. By all accounts he has all the tools to be a weapon so seems problem might be between the ears. If Pete can get him motivated he could explode in this league. Very much hope so but from sounds of it would be good just to see the kid playing some good solid hockey he can build upon and give Devils a sure presence back there. Very interesting signing to see which way it goes for him.

bb1

I’ve no issue with our transition game. The d-men in the offensive zone have been ok.

We are missing a big, calm, stay at home defenceman.

Bode isn’t that (194 pounds isn’t a big body). In fact he’s lighter than Crawford and Rymsha.

I do think that if there’s a possibility of getting the next Gleason Fournier then he’s worth taking a punt on, he is clearly capable of being a star in this league.
He's actually down as 220lb on the ECHL website, which seems more like it. Many sites still reference the weight they were when they got their first pro contract.

Hes a unit that's for sure

Mooney#16

You have to give Todd and the ownership credit on this one as well. Last two years good opportunities have slipped by reacting to situations too late. This feels a pro active move and definitely an illustration for their part they aren’t messing about tooling PR up to challenge.

Rightly or wrongly they have taken some stick last two years but there a a definite sense of trying to put some things right that were not at the level they should have been and I think to be fair it’s worth acknowledging that as a fan base.

jenks33

Hmm. Just been trying to find info on Bode and there's some off ice stuff there that's causing some concern to me. I'm sure his on ice performances will be fine but hopefully he won't have a negative impact in other ways.
Definitely a concern isn’t it. I’ve got no doubts this guy is too talented for the EIHL and I’m sure we will see some good performances but if you google his name it does raise some concerns. Looks like he was possibly a big time Charlie in Sweden and in the ECHL (according to some islanders fans) which is clearly a worry. Banska Bystrica weren’t too impressed with him either. It’s a risk worth taking but interesting to see how it goes.

Last edited:

Devils86

We still have an import limit.

Based on the games I've seen Batch gets a lot of icetime during the PK - which suggests Russell still rates him?
Which is odd given how far Batch has been from GB in recent years...

Squad for February qualifiers should be interesting

BostonBart22

He maybe a replacement for the goat who maybe longterm, that would release batch as a forward or even mosey that's if Donaghey is fit and back , should Bode well.

Devil94

Definitely a concern isn’t it. I’ve got no doubts this guy is too talented for the EIHL and I’m sure we will see some good performances but if you google his name it does raise some concerns. Looks like he was possibly a big time Charlie in Sweden and in the ECHL (according to some islanders fans) which is clearly a worry. Banska Bystrica weren’t too impressed with him either. It’s a risk worth taking but interesting to see how it goes.
Does make you wonder how a player of his promise and talent has ended up in the EIHL at 23

Mooney#16

If you consider all these teams may have thought they were getting an NHL prospect on the cheap to be in their first D pairing he was possibly in some high pressure situations expectation wise. Fairly sure Banska will have thought him potentially 1 or 2 and the pressure on their imports to produce is big. Coming here hopefully where expectation and pressure is lower given that baggage then I’d hope he can decompress a little, play with some freedom and rediscover his natural game. It’s a 50/50 signing for sure but he clearly has core fundamentals to excel so it will be interesting what Russell can do for him.

Personally given Ritchie’s ability to turn his D partners into superstars I would put those two together in an instant.

Looking at his age, his obvious skill set and the fact that he was rated highly as an NHL prospect and expected to be a 1st round pick up (in fact he went in the 2nd round 42nd overall) by rights I should be over the moon with this signing.
However, what I have read of his ‘off ice’ disciplinary and attitude problems goes some way to explain the nose dive in his career trajectory.
Absolutely no doubt this guy has masses of talent and should be way too good for this league but I fear PR may have his hands full with Wilde.
I hope we’ve signed the next Andrew Hotham and not the next Tom Parisi!

Finny

Which is odd given how far Batch has been from GB in recent years...

Squad for February qualifiers should be interesting
He was in the initial squad last season and played in the warm-up games.
Played in the World Championships the previous season and played in the Olympic Qualifiers in the season before that.