Devils v Clan - 06/03 - 6:00pm - League - Chat/Updates

Koop11 said:
As have Dundee, Belfast, and Sheffield so far.
Dundee have beaten us at least twice. Once at the start of the streak and once to finish the streak. Or are we just talking about home games?

DevilDom

It wasn't pretty but it was a very good gritty win all the same.

Clan made it very difficult for the Devils at times and some of our players looked dead on their feet but showed real determination to come back home after 2 tough away games and grind out the result. Hopefully they'll be having a well earned rest over the next few days and they will come back refreshed and raring to go again next weekend. I still think we are 3rd favourites to win the title but we're still in with a shout and you just never know. Hopefully fatigue will catch up with the Giants and Clan will do us a favour against the steelers.

Kipper

Very professional and solid performance tonight from the entire team.They have all stood up to be counted and have put us back in with a shout.

Voth had a very good game but I thought G was the best player on the ice tonight.He was outstanding in his workrate and reading of the game to cut out several dangerous opportunities for the Clan.

Big up to Dean Smith for taking the whistle at short notice tonight whilst being unwell also.A job well done.

Koop11

Very impressive display last night when you consider it was our 3rd game in 3 nights (two away from home previous). Credit has to go to Braehead. They make life difficult for teams, playing a solid game which is not easy to break down. They’re built for a playoff style of hockey so I really hope we can avoid them in the quarter finals of the playoffs. They’re style of play reminds me of us a couple of seasons ago.

Come 3rd period we looked tired and understandably. Whilst we had the better of game throughout, it was a one goal game to the last few minutes so we had to keep composed and work until their was nothing left in the tank. That was the pleasing thing for me. A great effort.

I have to second Kipper, I thought Gerad lead from the back. He has been doing that so well this season. Voth must have taken something recently because despite having a reasonable season so far, his performances over the last couple of weeks have been excellent. How many points has he got in the last 5 games?!

For me the 2nd line, which you could argue has been the least productive of the 3 very impressive lines we have this season, has lead us into this good form of late. Hill, Finnerty and Voth has forced the puck so well use their strength to keep teams in their own end. Finnerty for me has gone from a villain to a hero recently but controlling that aggression and using it the corners. You won’t find many players that can shield the puck as well has he does along the boards. This 2nd line is finding form as we approach playoff season and its our 2nd line that is built for that brand of hockey.

6 points out of 6 in 3 nights. Great job lads. Enjoy the beer and the rest. It’s been well earned.

Sorry guys, i have to take credit for the Devils winning! Was skating before the game and the some of the Clan player were watching, so i skated over and had a qucik chat saying "Sorry guys your going to lose" and gave them thumbs down with a smile ;)

Stuck the fear in them before the game ;)

Nah, cant take credit but its a good 3 wins. Well done Devils!

I really enjoyed last nights game, a fantastic win and shows a big 'get stuffed' to the league for setting a ridiculous schedule for us...nice one boys.

Also, does anyone know what made Weller lose his cool with Bruce? he looked pretty angry!

ASHIPP

Don't know where the Devils mustered their energy from after an insane game schedule but another valuable 2 points won. :D Devils were never really in danger of losing control of this game but were made to work harder in P3 as Clan were desperate to push into overtime. Both teams looked fatigued in P3 but Devils still managed to chase everything down and create chances. So glad they have got the Clan gorilla off their backs - a mental advantage if they meet again later in the Playoffs.
Vother on fire this week, delighted for Jon's +100 points, Stevie confident and Tim continued to impress. G lead by example in this one - simple, controlled play, all areas of his game nailed. :cool:

A true testament of 'Never Say Die' spirit that defines the Cardiff Devils team. If you want something that bad, it's as much about the right mental attitude as it is skill and energy.
Keep believing in this fantastic team - always knew March was going to be a good month. ;)

p.s. Is Mark Richardson ever going to get MOM award at a home game this year? Come on, MOM panel - he has been outstanding.

Hicks was meant to be ref, but Smith needed to step in last minute. Hope all is well in the Hicks house!!

I thought the devils dominated the first 26 minutes. Weller takes a penalty (2+2) and Clan score both goals when Weller is in the bin. As soon as he is back out, until the final 6 minutes devils dominated again.

Devils first goal was Voth just hit it tightly at Perras and it squeezed in at the post. Perras and his D man claiming it was saved off the line (which I wasn't sure about), but on the replay it looks to be in. Devils second was Max chopping in front. (I think this is the only way to beat Perras, crashing the net as he doesn't like it). Clan first came as Finny said, G was pushed onto Lyle, then the Clan player had open net to shoot at. Clans second, no complaint here, Lyle didn't get across net quick enough.

Smith I thought did ok, but missed a few - but still the best ref. Weller was lucky not to get a major for his cross checking, Perras should have got game for punching Michel and Richardson with his blocker, Pelle was bleeding after the high stick and Smith only calls it 2.

For 2 periods Clan didn't seem to skate. They receive the puck when standing still which made it easier for the devils to check them and get the puck off them. Clan going forward were very good, although shots on net weren't great.

Perras is probably one of the best goalies I've seen down the bay this year.

samidevils said:
I thought the devils dominated the first 26 minutes. Weller takes a penalty (2+2) and Clan score both goals when Weller is in the bin. As soon as he is back out, until the final 6 minutes devils dominated again.
I noticed that too. I know our whole team has been awesome this year and those couple of minutes Weller was off and Clan scored 2 doesn't mean we wouldn't have won a game without him - but I wonder how many games we would have won without him? I know the winning streak started before he joined us, but then so did the poor start with 5 losses in the first 10 games.

One of the many players whose skates will be hard to fill next season - sorry if it sounds negative but I'm being realistic that a few will move onto bigger teams in better league (and bigger wages) next season.

Been a pleasure watching them this season though and lets hope they cap it off with a trophy... or 2!!!

Wasn't the best ever game, nor was it the best Devils performance. However, in the context of the the schedule leading up to last night i have to take my hat off to the boys for a fantastic effort. I enjoy a close game but was kinda hoping for a stuffin to avange my horrible first Elite away game in Glasgow a few weeks ago. A hard worked result born of lots of effort and commitment.

Well done boys.
:D enjoy your R&R (or MBA work :( ) :D

Highlights are up according to Farcebook.

mazza03

Really good win especially when you consider not only three games in three, but six games in nine days, with I think eleven points, well done to the best team in the UK.

Really good gritty win for the guy's last night, you could tell that in the last period they were running on pure adrenalin and desire exactly epitomises what this team is all about this year.
Welsh sports team of the year!

jimmy snels

good game, smith reffing was very good again, didnt hand out any mad pens IMO and reffed it the way id want it, let it be physical but didnt go mad with the 2+5+10+match senario we all to often get with the donut brigade! id take smith every week if i cud!

on the game, voth is back to playing gud hockey, finnerty takes to many dull pens and richie and G dont get enough credit..... so back to usual :lol: im excited for the run in now....... nervous?? much!!!