Devils V Giants - League - 31st March 24 - FO 1800

Chris

Administrator
Thread starter #1
1711727063042.png

Final game of the season against the Giants, and hopefully one we can turn up for and win this time following the midweek disaster!

We're fighting Giants for 2nd in the league, a win would help this drive enormously and be beneficial for our playoff chances...

1711727162718.png

League table taken Friday 29th March before we have played the Steelers and Giants the Clan on the Saturday night...

Right game thread this time :)

E.D.S.

Runners up with 3 games to spare, take that at start of season .. time to rest a few players with niggles now..
Agree. I definitely would have taken that in September. That's not a bad return with the wide scale changes we've made and a new coach. I'm hoping we don't start slowly next season as a result of PR having a season under his belt.

Saying that, we are limping our way to the end of the season. Yet another dire performance. Giants had us under pressures for 8 minutes in the 3rd period and ended up getting the equaliser. We just couldn't exit the zone. We were weak on the stick and looking for soft gentle flips to exit the zone when a pass would have been more effective. Wilde and Crawaford repeatedly put us under needless pressure. The end of the 2nd and pretty much all of the 3rd all we were trying to do was gain the red line to dump the puck and we failed miserably at times to do that, the most basic of game management. It was a tough watch.

Crawford getting man of the match is baffling. The guy is a defensive liability aimlessly icing the puck and failing to make clean passes so we can exit our zone and actually build something but then he pops up and scores the winner so everything is ok. That game just summed Crawford up for me. There was the usual Alderson and Cox no show. Little energy, little interest and little contribution.
Friend yet again bossed the game tonight. He stood on the red line in the warm up and just watched us, no one had a word. Nothing. He made hit after hit and we had no interest in doing anything about it. Alderson is just a waste of a body right now. 6ft something and lightweight. When you needed him to skate into the zone and take some pressure off he was out muscled and easily robbed of the puck, he doesn't even make a beeline for the net any more. Just a 5ft 2", 9 stone player in a 6ft+ body. Embarrassing.
Then on the flip side, you have Brandt who plays like a giant of a man. 100% effort from him, Duggan and Davies.

Take the positive, we won. Somehow. Secured second but christ, we are low in quality, low in offensive threat and lightweight on the puck. More work needs to be done between now and the 1/4 Final as right now, I don't fancy us over two legs.

BostonBart22

Agree. I definitely would have taken that in September. That's not a bad return with the wide scale changes we've made and a new coach. I'm hoping we don't start slowly next season as a result of PR having a season under his belt.

Saying that, we are limping our way to the end of the season. Yet another dire performance. Giants had us under pressures for 8 minutes in the 3rd period and ended up getting the equaliser. We just couldn't exit the zone. We were weak on the stick and looking for soft gentle flips to exit the zone when a pass would have been more effective. Wilde and Crawaford repeatedly put us under needless pressure. The end of the 2nd and pretty much all of the 3rd all we were trying to do was gain the red line to dump the puck and we failed miserably at times to do that, the most basic of game management. It was a tough watch.

Crawford getting man of the match is baffling. The guy is a defensive liability aimlessly icing the puck and failing to make clean passes so we can exit our zone and actually build something but then he pops up and scores the winner so everything is ok. That game just summed Crawford up for me. There was the usual Alderson and Cox no show. Little energy, little interest and little contribution.
Friend yet again bossed the game tonight. He stood on the red line in the warm up and just watched us, no one had a word. Nothing. He made hit after hit and we had no interest in doing anything about it. Alderson is just a waste of a body right now. 6ft something and lightweight. When you needed him to skate into the zone and take some pressure off he was out muscled and easily robbed of the puck, he doesn't even make a beeline for the net any more. Just a 5ft 2", 9 stone player in a 6ft+ body. Embarrassing.
Then on the flip side, you have Brandt who plays like a giant of a man. 100% effort from him, Duggan and Davies.

Take the positive, we won. Somehow. Secured second but christ, we are low in quality, low in offensive threat and lightweight on the puck. More work needs to be done between now and the 1/4 Final as right now, I don't fancy us over two legs.
Friend should've answered the bell on Wednesday when he attacked barrow, but no reaction once again , so that's why friend bossed us again knowing nowt will be done to him . It's getting quite nimby pamby on times these days. Just saying

ASHIPP

Friend should've answered the bell on Wednesday when he attacked barrow, but no reaction once again , so that's why friend bossed us again knowing nowt will be done to him . It's getting quite nimby pamby on times these days. Just saying
Don't think in such a tight game our Guys could have afforded a potential visit to the sinbin for revenge aggression. Devils just about got over the line to secure second league place last night...they were probably focussed on that.

E.D.S.

Don't think in such a tight game our Guys could have afforded a potential visit to the sinbin for revenge aggression. Devils just about got over the line to secure second league place last night...they were probably focussed on that.
Agree with that but we can’t afford daft abuse of official penalties (even though we survived it) either but we seem to like those and misconducts. They are complete petulance. At least a fight has a purpose.

Legin

Agree with that but we can’t afford daft abuse of official penalties (even though we survived it) either but we seem to like those and misconducts. They are complete petulance. At least a fight has a purpose.
Don't think it was petulant, I think it was frustration with the lack of consistency with calls. One minute no call for obvious penalties and the next soft calls on things that had not been called earlier.

RedDevil17

Who have we got? We all know Russell doesn’t like fighting or physicality as seen at the vast majority of the games this season. Our only real fighter (Pietroniro) barely saw any ice time last night and yet when at full strength, gets dropped on a constant basis. Friend should’ve answered the bell I agree with that

James

Administrator
It was nice to see Donaghey apologise to the ref after the unsportsmanlike and amusing to see him assumedly thank the ref for the penalty after he scored out of the box

E.D.S.

Don't think it was petulant, I think it was frustration with the lack of consistency with calls. One minute no call for obvious penalties and the next soft calls on things that had not been called earlier.
My point being… we’re happy to give away two mins for abuse or misconduct but to the point made earlier where the inference was there was no point fighting in a tight game, my point is… theres equally no point throwing away two minutes because you’re frustrated.