DEVILS v Giants - Sat 25 (FO 7pm) & Sun 26 (FO 6pm) Mar 2017 - League - Chat/Updates

pjj365

Sorry for the newbies and the lost marketing opportunities

But this is professionalism. If this were a Premier Leauge soccer team the second team would have been out on the pitch

I was bored - even counted the missing light bulbs! - but well played Lordo

Vartel

I was disappointed as i imagine a lot of others were. For the average fan, this tumble weed performance tonight is what they will remember in the off season. Seems pointless to go to next saturdays game when it isnt decided until Sunday, and by the same virtue, dont want to book with RAT for the Sunday away game, as it could be effectively over after the Saturday game. People will just be left remembering this lackluster performance for the months to come.

Chris

Administrator
Mods - Would it be possible to create a thread - something like 'Meaningless Trivialities' or 'Venting space for Queens' so that the 'fans' that repeatedly fall into this category can then disappear into their old little world and allow the rest of us to read about what we came here for in the first place!
We're working on it.
I'm honestly lost for words at this thread. Either I've completely lost touch with reality or a lot of people are revealing themselves to be genuinely that stupid. Just bizarre!
I've tried to tidy it up, but I have to be up at 5am for work so i've given up for now. Several posts deleted, 1 user temp banned and another thread locked.

Apparently having 1 user like Electro wasn't bad enough, now we've got several trying to fill their shoes :(

matbur

I was disappointed as i imagine a lot of others were. For the average fan, this tumble weed performance tonight is what they will remember in the off season. Seems pointless to go to next saturdays game when it isnt decided until Sunday, and by the same virtue, dont want to book with RAT for the Sunday away game, as it could be effectively over after the Saturday game. People will just be left remembering this lackluster performance for the months to come.
Wow...

Well I took 3 newbies last night, all loved it, all coming back. Happy to see a close fought game in a family friendly atmosphere with a team picking up silverware. They'll be back and bringing people with them so it wasn't THAT bad. Can't please everyone I guess but there were plenty of happy people there last night

Jonesy83

Yeah not gonna lie on this one, I'm feeling a bit short changed on the £52 I spent on tickets for tonight's game, I thought we'd see Murdy with the nod as starting netminder and I expected Lordo to be on the bench after the win last night but I didn't expect Martin, A Hotham & Cullly to be sat out...like I've already said, feeling a little annoyed that I've paid out £52, but hey ho, I guess that's how it goes sometimes.

Anyway, bring on play off hockey next Saturday so the game is played competitively and let's get a good lead to take up to Manchester for the second leg.

Slartibartfast

Yes we rested some key players ready for the fourth trophy. Yes the performance was lack lustre at times but we went for it in the third period and pulled it back to one goal before the ENG. But it shows that we can almost compete with several players out and not getting out of second gear. Of course its disappointing for any newbies but then in my experience most newbies are so impressed by the skill and speed of the game they don't mind the loss. Its the veteran fans who complain the most.
Full credit to Belfast who I thought gave 110%. They needed this win for their playoff position. This was a nothing game for the Devils which was sadly reflected in the performance. But I can forgive that for the 3 trophies and the most sublime hockey I have seen in decades.
It would be nice to see Bordy batter Nickerson though before he returns to Canada. Nickerson cross checked Haddad to the head while he was on his knees. Bordy just gave him a little shove.( Maybe he didn't realise what he had done though.)

This game was always going to be one of those strange ones. The "must win this game" adrenaline was missing and Fournier and Batch were particularly guilty of making bad mistakes. The players rested have worked so hard this season and deserved their rest before the play offs (much to the annoyance of my two daughters wanting to see Joey Martin). Despite having a shorter team list they almost got the equaliser at the end. As a non-ST holder it was disappointing not to see them lift a trophy at this game but that's how it was. If people were attending for the first time tonight and won't bother again? Whatever, the IAW was getting sell out crowds before they attended and will again.

Perhaps a couple of those sitting out could have just played on the power play tonight. I had thought some players would really step up tonight with the extra ice time but it seemed almost like non contact hockey at times. Culli must be dealing with an injury to miss both weekend games.
My biggest concern was our defensive zone coverage and effort in both games.

Pondlife

Tonight's game was a bit of a lacklustre nonevent but as a fan I'm ok with that. I bought the tickets early on for tonight thinking that it could have been the league decider. I'm more than happy that it turns out it wasn't. There's no argument about the devil's acheivement this season. So, tonight wasn't the most exciting hockey I've seen but I was happy to be there. Job well done guys.

Edit: when you're five on three, shoot the flipping puck a bit.

ASHIPP

Several statistics would also be a concern....stuttering pp including a squandered 5 on 3. Giants virtually outshot Devils 2:1.
Completely understand the bigger picture to rest players but we were so shortbenched tonight it could have risked further injury. Those guys had to work twice as hard to compensate for missing players and, frankly, looked exhausted and frustrated by p3. It was as much as some could do to chase down anything...Giants won vitually all the battles.
I get the fact that players require rest for the next onslaught....but that Devils' team looked knackered from vitually playing a defensive game all night. Anyone explain why CJ and Piggsie didn't ice in p3? Bizarre.
The team, the performance, the atmosphere were all deflated tonight. Understandable after the octane highs of the last few weeks. But the Giants will have left our place believing they had the psychological advantage...and that is never good.

Last edited:

Ocko

Depressing statistic; this thread about two dead rubbers has now equalled the amount of pages for the league winning game at Sheffield and trophy lifting night against Fife.

Let's keep perspective, were still Champions and have exceeded all expectation. I'd say the Giants would've left tonight's game more deflated than us, they barely beat a team missing it's starting NM and both the league's best D man and forward, along with others.

I also didn't think it was the worst exercise in the world, we put players into situations which they aren't normally. Brine, Batch, to name but a few had PP time for a change. And why risk such key players, it's not about the rest necessarily but the unnecessary risk against a team who would love to see a key player miss a game or two.

And please don't shoot the puck more on the PP. That's hockey 101, it's how you lose the puck. Every fan says it but every coach or player will tell you the exact opposite. I actually thought we shot the puck a bit too much; once we settled and moved it around we scored a very pretty goal and had a few good looks.

I'm truly stunned at some of the comments and suggestions I've read on this thread.

Last night was a nothing game. The players who didn't ice could be nursing injuries and want to be 100% for the playoffs. I accept that people might feel shortchanged and that's fine, but this is professional sport not a bloody pantomine.. the club/coach will do what's best for the team and if resting players before the final push of the season is needed, then that's what they'll do.

We've won every trophy up for grabs so far, yet someone has suggested that the average fan will only remember these 'boring' games over the off season.

Easy to understand why this forum has become a laughing stock amongst the fan base.

E.D.S.

You've got to judge the team by the season. I appreciate how fans might feel short changed but surely (newbies aside) you're in this for the long haul. If not... maybe just come to the playoff games where each game counts.
I brought a newbie to the Sheffield game (in Sheffield) after we won the challenge cup 2 yeas ago. I promised him serious action as the final was so close and both teams hate each other. We got tanked 11-0. The team were hungover, appalling and unprofessional in my view. I was fuming but the weekend before I saw them lift the challenge cup with my family for the first time in a long time. Yes I was fuming, seriously fuming as I'd made the time, effort and cost to travel. Felt hugely let down and also embarrassed in front of a newbie but that isn't my only memory of that season. We're there to win and we won a cup that year.
This is about a seasons performance. When the Canadian owners sit down with Lordo and review his objectives for the season I don't think games like this will feature. The bloke has over achieved. Over the course of a season this team has been excellent value for my money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Devil_Abroad

Lord should be sacked, the playoffs is the only trophy that matters and Paul Regan really understood what it took to run a club. These Canadiens have no idea.......
Mines a Heineken please.

I was just going to cry out 'imposter' until I read the last line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bazza

Anybody who went last night expecting 'all guns blazing' and the best match of the season must be crazy.

League AND conference already sewn up the night before. They could have put out half of the Cardiff Fire team for all I cared as it was just an extra game we didn't need!!

Happy with most players performances last night - nobody looked like they were not trying.

Lord mixed up the lines a bit, gave some extra play on PK etc but anybody moaning on here has a very blinkered view of what Lord and the guys are doing/have done.

E.D.S.

Anybody who went last night expecting 'all guns blazing' and the best match of the season must be crazy.

League AND conference already sewn up the night before. They could have put out half of the Cardiff Fire team for all I cared as it was just an extra game we didn't need!!

Happy with most players performances last night - nobody looked like they were not trying.

Lord mixed up the lines a bit, gave some extra play on PK etc but anybody moaning on here has a very blinkered view of what Lord and the guys are doing/have done.
I was dreading a late goal and overtime. More unnecessary minutes.