Devils v Panthers - 30/11 - 7:30pm - League - Chat/Updates

Chris

Administrator
Thread starter #1
Hey hey,

We'll be running Match Night Live! for this game from the usual location of http://www.the-inferno.co.uk/mnl

OJ will be hosting this game and as always he can be reached before/during the game at matchnightlive@gmail.com

Obviously we're still missing Mark Smith, but otherwise I think we're not carrying any other injuries at the moment? I've not seen anything about Adams injury and that was the last one reported after he rearranged Jurynec's face...

Panthers could be at full strength, I have no idea if they're missing anyone at this moment in time, but i'm sure they'll have a full import quota if they're carrying an injury or two.

This will be the 4th game of the season between the two teams, The Devils currently lead with 2 wins to the Panthers 1, the most recent of which was a 3-1 home win at the start of this month.
Obviously as its a mid week game, people are tied for time to get from work to BBT so we thought for this game we would trial a CURRY MEAL OFFER this would need to be booked (so we have numbers) ie, "just a yes we are coming and there will be 3 of us" style booking.
The Pilot have meal offers running for this game, details of which can be found on the following thread... viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5214

Chris.

ASHIPP

Re: Devils v Panthers - 30/11 - 7:30pm - League - Chat/Updat

David Clarke a possibly not playing - recovering from a car accident last week. Panthers' fans seem to think Stephen Lee could be missing too. :?

Clarke and Lee are deffo out

Will be a tough game tonight just hope we can come away with 2 points o/t pens i dont mind as long as we get 2 points

panthers4ever said:
Clarke and Lee are deffo out

Will be a tough game tonight just hope we can come away with 2 points o/t pens i dont mind as long as we get 2 points
If it goes to pens then you'll definently get the 2 points :cry: :cry:

Lets hope all the Devils play 110% and finish offtheir hits and it is more entertaining than Sunday's game aginst Fife :!:

Win this and our games in hand and we will be joint on points with the panthers.

ASHIPP

In reality, this game is the most important of the next 3 games for the Devils - a good result for the Devils tonight puts them in the chase for positions with Blaze and Panthers pointswise. :?

Steelers have so many games in hand - if they win those, it's probably going to be Giants v Steelers for league title battle.

osh

I think a win tonight is essential when looking at the statement made by PR earlier this week.
A win tonight is necessary after the loss of the extra point against Hull. Also, a loss or another poor performance will affect the crowd for the next game. It's been stated that attendances have to improve during December, that's all well and good, however, crowds will only improve if the side is winning, playing more attractive hockey and showing a bit more spirit and physical contact than we have seen in so many games this season.

Despite the overtime loss Ben Davies was outstanding tonight great Welsh talent we have there ! G better rally them up for the weekend because It's gonna be tough.

kettdevil1

Well the good news is that we were unbeaten in regulation time throughout November and we have got at least a point from our last 11 games....

The bad news is that we appear completely incapable of getting 2 points from OT...

DevilDom

I actually thought it was a decent fairly exciting game.

Yes, Devils seem to lack that extra 10% needed in the tight games but when you consider we were playing with 8 1/2 imports and our brits (with the exception of Ben) don't stack up to their's I think a point was a good return from the game. Nottingham like Belfast have class right through their squad. We need everyone at the top of their game to compete and unfortunately tonight that was not quite the case. The 1st line with the exception of Stu was off colour and I think Sam Smith didn't ice after the 1st period giving Burrows plenty of time on the 3rd. I thought the 2nd line was our best line tonight with Voth and Matzka in particular impressive.

On D I thought Kenton was again excellent and Frank had a very good game too wheb stopped letting the Panthers players wind him up. G did well considering the injury too.

All in all, I'll take a hard fought point against a very good Panthers team.

wildthing74

A point more than I was expecting tonight so I guess I would have taken it especially after Panties ran in 3 unanswered goals.
Agree with Dom the 2nd line was by far our most dangerous line and that is not something I would usually say but the 1st struggled to get any momentum all night.
Ben again was outstanding and brave as a lion going into the corners with their big D and time and time again came out with the puck.
Frank was outstanding apart from the usual 5 second red mist that is now a feature of each of his performances.Positionally he was spot on and seems to be carrying the puck out a lit more in recent games also.
Don't know if Sam was benched or injured? Either way we seemed to get more out if the 3rd with Burrows on it.

Earnie

From the run of play I reckon that was a just result. Ben was a star and deserves a slice of Pierce's money.
Lyle saved all sorts in 2nd and 3rd. Kalowski earned his MoM.
Neilson seems to be on the ice for 21 minutes every period.
Voth had a good game and never went in the bin. Panthers produced goals in their 5 on 3 advantage.
A good effort by Devils - but not quite good enough.

Ben was a star and deserves a slice of Pierce's money

I'd settle for another ben and get rid of pierce, good effort tonight although feel 2-0 up although early on we should have cruised it but with 3 unanswered that was never going to happen.
I'm looking forward to steelers saturday and hopefully our fortunes will turn but things need to improve at home. Although we've gained atleast 1 point in our previous 11 with 2 points on offer I'd like to see devils take the spoils every game.

TheStub

Much more of a show by the team, to me much more important in front of newbies and groups. Hopefully they'll be back.

Two Devils teams turned up tonight, a great forechecking side that commanded the game, and drew penalties - and then a lazy one that didn't skate, couldn't complete a pass and made bad choices on the puck. I think both got equal ice time.

Second line looked dangerous, but Matzka exemplified the duality in the performance. Some great plays, nice passes, but then some soft turn overs and lazy penalties.

Ben stood out on the third. I hope Sam can get out of his sophomore slump, we need that balanced powerforward back.

Pierce looked dangerous, as usual. Panthers certainly targeted him - but the number of times he sailed through two or three Panthers to initiate a forecheck was great to see. He skates at 120mph without any seeming effort. I am just waiting for something to click.

I really want to see Ben with Pierce. I think they have similar speed and energy - and that may be the touch needed to get that line going.

Max doesn't seem to have chemistry with Pierce, and is certainly in the shadow a bit on that line. Max with Sam or Tim feels like a nice experiment.

No-one has mentioned the powerplay. Still not there, but light years ahead. We created movement and crashed the net. More of the same please :)

But please lord - can we start throwing some hits?

Rempel16

We have been here on many occasions, we refuse to throw a hit and we lose the game.

Really, what is the point in having the biggest team in the smallest rink if we are not going to use it to our advantage?

Nottingham were there for the taking at 2-0. Instead they will be waking up this morning with 2 points from one of the easier victories they will take from Cardiff.

We have seen it time and time again, throw a hit on the forecheck and we turn the puck over. So is it a coaching issue? Or are the players refusing to execute G's orders?

I hope Lyle is up for the fight this year because it looks like everyone is welcome to go near him. Whenever we went near Kowalski a Panther's d-man moved us out. Everytime Lyle covered up the Panthers were allowed to camp all over him.

Getting seriously fed up with the lack of committment, lack of passion and lack of intensity and if things don't improve soon there will be a season ticket up for sale. (and anyone who knows me will be shocked reading that comment)

Koop11

Ooo an overtime loss, what a treat ;)

We actually played quite well last night in comparison to some of the performances at home this year. Just a pity that the OT goal we allowed was another defensive lapse. Credit to Nottingham though, that is one of their better performances in our rink in recent years. The have 3 strong lines, even with Clarke out injured.

Ben is out best player on the ice at this moment in time. His work rate is up there with Sir Tylor’s but he has come on leaps and bounds with his vision and eye for goal. I thought Frank and Kenton were solid and the Voth line did all the damage. Not sure whether Max is under the weather but everything he seemed to do last night went wrong. I guess we can forgive him given that he has been one of our top forwards of late.

osh

The better team won on the night no doubt. We failed to capitalise on a 2 goal lead and were wide open in front of our net allowing 2 long range goals. A move between Voth and Hill ( I think) deserved a goal but we just didn't seem capable of beating their n/m with any sort of decent shots.
Ben was my MOM, his effort in getting his goal was superb and his never say die attitude should be adopted by some more of our 'going through the motions' players. I felt we were lucky to be in the game at 2 - 3 and we were dominated for the 2nd and 3rd periods ( despite what I read in the match report ) so I suppose a point gained is not that bad. Our power lay is dismal, our set up and style is too easily read and G just doesn't seem to be able to do anything about it, despite him saying it will be worked on in training. Sadly, based on last nights showing, I fear for the next 2 games.