Devils v Steelers - 03/03 - 7:30pm - Chat/Updates

Budgie said:
Rumour is that G is too soft with the team, they don't attend the gym & are fond of a few drinks!
I would take that rumour with a huge pinch of salt!! G is more than capable of man-management whether it's a quiet word in someone's ear or a boot up the backside he knows which is effective and on who. As for the gym I would be very surprised at that unless they have eased back on that side of training because of the amount of games they have recently played, even then I would say that it was optional, as someone like Smithy is usually down the gym before ice training starts.
On to you 3rd point I've no doubt that a few of the players are fond of a drink but as long as they are sensible, drink in moderation and not 48 hours before a game what's wrong with that? I think it's unfair to say the whole team drink as you imply. Off course we could do away with the MOM presentations, now what is it that is supplied by the Club? Oh yes ;)

ASHIPP

I doubt very much that G is soft on anyone - he has named and shamed in the local press recently and probably has no problem talking to any underperformers. :evil: Drinking is a pastime, enjoyed by humans not robots! As long as it's in moderation and not near any games, nothing wrong with it.

If the guys were able to execute his game plan to win 6 games in a row, what's gone wrong with them? G cannot be held responsible for stupid penalties, bad positioning or lapses in concentration. Unfortunately he can't replace players before the end of the season. Having already performed so well over the last 6 games before last weekend, it's down to them to strive for consistency in their performances and continue showing pride in the jersey/hunger to win games to end the season with something concrete for their efforts. At the very least you would imagine individuals will want to safeguard next season's contract offers - from this club or any other? :?

Finny

phil PLT said:
jimmy snels said:
its well known we could out drink any team in the league! even beerfest has banned us!! :lol:
Of course I forgot, you know what goes on at every other club, silly me :eek:
Funnily enough, if you go on most other teams forums you find similar threads suggesting their players are out too much drinking etc.
Usually started by people who complain that the players don't talk to them enough in the bar afterwards.

jimmy snels

Finny said:
phil PLT said:
jimmy snels said:
its well known we could out drink any team in the league! even beerfest has banned us!! :lol:
Of course I forgot, you know what goes on at every other club, silly me :eek:
Funnily enough, if you go on most other teams forums you find similar threads suggesting their players are out too much drinking etc.
Usually started by people who complain that the players don't talk to them enough in the bar afterwards.
finny your so far up G's bottom u can see phils feet! :lol: i think our lads have not been consistant enough simple as. if they dont play well its going to lead to debate. always does. when they play well the plaudits can only give so much until its all the same. when its wrong people have varrying opinions as to why. i was JOKING hence the laughter afterwards and referance to a comedy film. why would i want to speak to them in the bar?? id rather hit the town with my friends.
maybe u can enlighten us as to why we are not top of the league now then? you never give a constructive opinion as to why and critisise those that do. so lets hear it. dont tell me its the fans fault for not eating enough hotdogs :roll:

jimmy snels said:
jimmy snels said:
finny your so far up G's bottom u can see phils feet! :lol: i think our lads have not been consistant enough simple as. if they dont play well its going to lead to debate. always does. when they play well the plaudits can only give so much until its all the same. when its wrong people have varrying opinions as to why. i was JOKING hence the laughter afterwards and referance to a comedy film. why would i want to speak to them in the bar?? id rather hit the town with my friends.
maybe u can enlighten us as to why we are not top of the league now then? you never give a constructive opinion as to why and critisise those that do. so lets hear it. dont tell me its the fans fault for not eating enough hotdogs :roll:
In fairness you do frequently post concearning the team drinking! :roll:

jimmy snels

i dont deny i personally feel that some of the team see this as a jolly where as tylor and miller for example put 110% in all the time. i just want consistant performers who play for the name on the front of the shirt not the cardiff experiance :!: i dont care if they go out and have fun in fact good on them IF they're performing they deserve it but on paper we have league winners it just hasnt happened

osh

Finny said:
osh said:
Finny, last night's game was a 'nothing game ' was it ? In that case I'm glad I didn't extend my stay to watch it !
It was a game that wasn't going to lead to a trophy. I would rather G and the team try new things now in the hope we find something that works

a) in time for Tuesday
b) in time for the Playoffs.

Even though we lost it was still an entertaining game. Shame you weren't able to stay for it.
So Finny, the next 6 league games (or let's say the previous 6 games ) would not lead to a trophy, so, by your explanation they are also nothing games are they (12 nothing games) ? For someone who is normally so detailed in stats, match reports etc, your explanation is way off the mark. Every game should be a game that's there to be won, and dump and chase hockey is not the sort of hockey best suited to our type of players and is not what I want to see. Take a look at the points WANNABE2 made in his post, from 1 to 6, I agree with all he mentions (which is quite rare) but his comments are what we should be striving to achieve rather than your throw away comment that it was a 'nothing game' just because we can't win any league trophy.

Finny

osh said:
So Finny, the next 6 league games (or let's say the previous 6 games ) would not lead to a trophy, so, by your explanation they are also nothing games are they (12 nothing games) ? For someone who is normally so detailed in stats, match reports etc, your explanation is way off the mark. Every game should be a game that's there to be won, and dump and chase hockey is not the sort of hockey best suited to our type of players and is not what I want to see. Take a look at the points WANNABE2 made in his post, from 1 to 6, I agree with all he mentions (which is quite rare) but his comments are what we should be striving to achieve rather than your throw away comment that it was a 'nothing game' just because we can't win any league trophy.
If we are going to try new things and new ideas - now is the time to try them. We should still be trying to win every game, but the league is out of reach so losing a game here and there is not the end of the world.
Just my opinion anyway.

Finny

jimmy snels said:
Actually, I find that comment quite offensive. Suggesting I am not being honest. For the record, I have spoken to G twice since he joined the Devils. The last time would have been in the WNIR bar asking him to sign a stick which CDSL were raffling off.
The only reason I say that he shouldn't be sacked is because I think he deserves a fair go. IMO we have improved since last season and as long as we keep improving then he should continue to stay.
We are not top of the league because we have not won enough games. Is that because we are not good enough or because we are not consistent enough?
For me it's a lack of consistency by certain players. I personally don't think we are that far off being a league winning side.
We also lack some self believe. The only way to get that is to start winning trophies. I think once we win one we'll start winning several. You only need to look at Coventry to see that

osh

Finny said:
osh said:
If we are going to try new things and new ideas - now is the time to try them. We should still be trying to win every game, but the league is out of reach so losing a game here and there is not the end of the world.
Just my opinion anyway.
Fair comment, but I really think that experimenting at this time of the season with so few games to go is too little too late. Your 'nothing game' comment struck a chord with me that I disagree with, but as you say, your opinion of course, but as for me I never see games as 'nothing games' jjust my opinion of course !

A

Anonymous

And what your saying is true my friend. Guys, If you disagree with the man, fine. But don't get personal. Were all entitled to a say, including Finny !!

osh

TheDevilTorn said:
And what your saying is true my friend. Guys, If you disagree with the man, fine. But don't get personal. Were all entitled to a say, including Finny !!
TheDevilTorn; Thanks for your pm. I do not feel that I have any personal argument with Finny whatsoever and have certainly not insulted him in any way.If I had, Finny would have let me know himself. The fact is that I took issue with one of his comments, he has replied in good faith and I totally accept that, and have no further issue on that subject. As you say, we are all entitled to our opinions, that's what a good forum such as ours is about.

A

Anonymous

My pm was nothing to do with this thread as you know, Finny said he felt insulted at a comment, did I say that comment was from you, and was my post aimed at you? No and no. What are you on about? My pm stated that you could use pm rather than disagree with Finny on almost every thread. Im not imagining it, its there for all to see.